Why don't i see taekwondo combination kicks in mma?

ironkhan57

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I always see kicks in mma like single kicks 2x body kick on the same leg but i've never seen anyone hit like a lead side kick to lead hook kick or even a lead roundhouse kick to double roundhouse kick i can name alot more taekwondo combinations also, you could set these combos up with punches but i never see a taekwondo fighter in mma doing that so why dont i see it its risky also but i think if your fast enough you can actually do these combo kicks so why isnt it used in mma?

I always see kicks in mma like single kicks 2x body kick on the same leg but i've never seen anyone hit like a lead side kick to lead hook kick or even a lead roundhouse kick to double roundhouse kick i can name alot more taekwondo combinations also, you could set these combos up with punches but i never see a taekwondo fighter in mma doing that so why dont i see it its risky also but i think if your fast enough you can actually do these combo kicks so why isnt it used in mma?

Because of grappling.

Because of grappling.

Thats actually something i never thought of so thats why i always thought the taekwondo fighters just found it stupid or useless but wouldn't it work if you were fast enough if you set it up with punches first?

Wow you'd prob get head kicked if you were in a fight cause you need kicks punches and sometimes elbows and knees

Everyone's wearing those skinnypants nowdays, so on top of the fact few people can do headkicks well even in the pros, no he probably wouldn't get headkicked in a fight unless the other guy was wearing thai shorts, or tighty whities, or nothing at all besides being able to in the first place.

A lot of those kicks will leave you open to tons of things.

Everyone's wearing those skinnypants nowdays, so on top of the fact few people can do headkicks well even in the pros, no he probably wouldn't get headkicked in a fight unless the other guy was wearing thai shorts, or tighty whities, or nothing at all besides being able to in the first place.

Im pretty sure the fighters who can head kick people and are good at head kicking wear thai shorts or mma shorts

Thats actually something i never thought of so thats why i always thought the taekwondo fighters just found it stupid or useless but wouldn't it work if you were fast enough if you set it up with punches first?

Everything changes when you add grappling to the mix and techniques need to be adjusted. Grapplers need to adjust to a world that includes striking and strikers need to adjust to a world with grappling.

Wrestlers have to learn there are some wrestling techniques you simply don't do when there is striking involved. They also have to have a straighter posture. In Judo you are more erect because you grab the other persons clothing.

Strikers have to make adjustments or they are giving free takedowns to grapplers. Against a grappler there are some strikes you use much more sparingly and only when in position. People are not going to want to stay in position long for that.

A grappler is not going to have to be as fast as the striker on some kicks. The grappler just adjusts elevation and the leg comes to them. It is like a catcher in baseball, he adjust where the mitt it. The kicks involves big motion, catching the leg involves small motion. Kicks work best when you get a grappler out of position.

Sure you can do multiple fast kicks but the catch is you have to be aware of the grapplers hip elevation. It is pretty hard to keep tabs on grapplers hip elevation when you throw the second or third kick unless you have knocked the grappler out of position with the first one. Also just like in fencing, if you can get inside the point (inside the kick) the grappler can take it to the ground.

Someone really good can land the kicks if they are willing to do them when the situation is right and are able to keep full awareness of the grapplers position. Going to take someone that is really good and does not just spam kicks but does them only when the time is right.

Last edited:

pettis and bendo both have done that roundhouse combo u mentioned. they are both tkd black belts. cung might have done the lead sidekick lead hook kick combo.

MMA striking is straight up just a different game to competition TKD, K-1 rules, MT Rules, any set of kickboxing rules, or generally any set of straight striking rules.
If you see what I mean, check out Spong in his K-1 ruled fights, and then watch his stance and style in MMA.He went from being square to throw in bunches and combos to fighting in a very long stance, and only throwing generally 1 strike.
The 1 strike thing in MMA is generally because, if you are willing to throw 4 shots in a combo, you're probably gonna have to be actively moving forward on your shots. Moving forward with too much weight sets yourself up for takedowns (Grapplers are especially good at looking for your weight displacement, because that's how majority of takedowns occur). Moving forward too heavily can be bad in striking, but it can be forgiving as you won't be on your back getting Mendes elbows to the face!
Also, if you've ever experienced the difference between reacting in boxing (just punches) to kickboxing (punches AND kicks) you see how hard it would be to react to punches, kicks and takedown attempts (eg. the level dropping of Chad Mendes vs Aldo 2 where he would fakedown then unleash an uppercut on Aldo's sprawl motion).

Until we see a super high level tkd practitioner learn all the skills of mms we will never know. Pettis, Anderson, and machida are amazing kickers yet their tkd/tma backgrounds are nothing compared to other tkd guys

Until we see a super high level tkd practitioner learn all the skills of mms we will never know. Pettis, Anderson, and machida are amazing kickers yet their tkd/tma backgrounds are nothing compared to other tkd guys

Might take a while when a lot of those "Olympic sports" are trying to remain pure :(. As well as the fact that everyone who starts learning "MMA" hears all the hype about Muay Thai and Boxing being the perfect striking arts for MMA.
So much so that I once had a guy tell me years ago in high school that he was, "going to learn how to box then join the UFC." Sounds good man.
To be honest, a LOT of other competitors at high levels in their martial arts don't cross-over to MMA. The ones with big heads sometimes try it (see James Toney), and realise that it's actually called MIXED martial arts for a reason.
I follow John Wayne Parr on Facebook and constantly see him dodging the MMA bullet, and for a good reason. He's good at Muay Thai and loves it. If I was at the top level of Muay Thai and loved it, I would probably just stick to it as well. BUT, As it turns out, I have a love for grappling, so that would more than likely never be me anyway :D

You can't fight on one leg for any length of time. The end.

Kicking is for pussies? 😂 punching is for kids cuz a toddler can punch t00! Smh.

Nam Pham pasted a few guys with a high kick/back kick combo. It was pretty effective

Back