Why dont fighters use oxygen between rounds?

Thanos

Courting Death
@Black
Reaction score
10725806.jpg

Oxygen lowers co2 levels, gives the lungs high oxygen levels to oxygen deprived muscles and organs. Lowers the acidic pH your body is in when in a cardio intense fight

I'm aware of Carwin using an o2 inhaler, but this is a fad and isn't therapeutic enough to have an effect on an air sucking athlete.

Oxygen by non-rebreather mask or simple mask between rounds would significantly help the athlete recover along with their corners cooling the body with ice.

is it not allowed by athletic commissions? UFC? hell is it considered a PED nowadays?

It would be ridiculous and would look even worse.

You don't have a camera on out of shape linebackers as they gulp oxygen to fuel their over-sized bodies.

Imagine seeing GSP with a mask on between rounds.

As for ice, I think corners aren't doing enough. A VERY VERY COLD pad on the back could might recovery benefits without looking that ridiculous. Instead we see bags of ice being daubed at a fighters back.

Don't think it's allowed by athletic commissions. Gatorade isn't even allowed by athletic commissions. All that's allowed is water and the water is even inspected before it enters the cage.

Its not allowed. Fighters used to do it back in the very early UFCs. Don Frye in particular I remember. I think UFC 17 they stopped letting them do it. Pretty early on IIRC.

It would be ridiculous and would look even worse.

You don't have a camera on out of shape linebackers as they gulp oxygen to fuel their over-sized bodies.

Imagine seeing GSP with a mask on between rounds.

As for ice, I think corners aren't doing enough. A VERY VERY COLD pad on the back could might recovery benefits without looking that ridiculous. Instead we see bags of ice being daubed at a fighters back.

I think being a tackle or guard for an hour in football requires one to be in shape

if the answer is "it just doesn't look good" that's a terrible answer

its got nothing to do with being out of shape, you're getting winded whether you like it or not
you have one minute to recover between rounds, why not use it

It's not allowed, and it should never be allowed.

Because there are rules, if you notice only a certain number of people are allowed to enter the cage between rounds. If the cut man is needed he takes the place of one of the corner men. The corner men can only give a fighter water which is always from a sealed bottle, wipe him off with a towel, or ice him. They don't even let the fighters pour water on themselves. A referee not in charge of the match watches each corner or some other official.

What the cut man can also use is prescribed and is pretty primitive.

The NFL is a different sport, different rules. Fighters can't drink gatorade, they can't eat energy bars, they can't get smelling salts, they can't do a lot of things folks in the NFL can do. Hell in the NFL doctors give players shots of pain killers, they can't do that in fighting either. Fighters can't get stitches between rounds, players in other sports regularly do that especially in hockey, fighters can't take any medication, all they get is a towel, a bottle of water, two ice bags and a bucket, oh and they are allowed to sit on a stool.

It's not allowed.

I believe it was brought up at a fighters meeting prior to a UFC event many years ago, a team asked if they could have an oxygen tank cageside. The response was you can have it cageside, but cannot use it during the fight. Only after.

Only pussies need oxygen IMO :icon_chee I hope we never see that allowed in MMA.

I think being a tackle or guard for an hour in football requires one to be in shape

if the answer is "it just doesn't look good" that's a terrible answer

its got nothing to do with being out of shape, you're getting winded whether you like it or not
you have one minute to recover between rounds, why not use it

The ball is in play for 11 minutes in a football game.

A game lasts THREE hours. And they still need oxygen? No, they're not in shape. Soccer players on the other hand actually run for most of the game which is why you don't see fat soccer players.

Humans are not naturally 350 lbs, so that's why we see a ridiculously fat tall big man gulping oxygen after running for 20 seconds.

But if an athlete could take a shot of pure oxygen without bringing a fucking tank into the cage, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Cause it'd be unfair to the guys who are supposed to have a cardio advantage. It'd also look stupid.

A game lasts THREE hours. And they still need oxygen? No, they're not in shape. Soccer players on the other hand actually run for most of the game which is why you don't see fat soccer players.

Humans are not naturally 350 lbs, so that's why we see a ridiculously fat tall big man gulping oxygen after running for 20 seconds.

But if an athlete could take a shot of pure oxygen without bringing a fucking tank into the cage, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

you know you're 350 bro

Define in shape. Football players are not built to have stamina. They are built to be very, very explosive for very short periods of time.

Don't think it's allowed by athletic commissions. Gatorade isn't even allowed by athletic commissions. All that's allowed is water and the water is even inspected before it enters the cage.

I just learned something today. Good stuff.

Dude, why so angry?

Back