Why don't fighters just take a knee when someone is leaning on them

MoreKane

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Regarding Furys leaning on opponent tactic, I am unsure why fighters that Fury leans on do not just go to the canvas, being put to the canvas by anything other than opponents fists is illegal, nowhere in rule book does it say you are required to support weight of your opponent.

Like @Cariñito said, it takes energy to get up. Keep in mind these are big men you're talking about so picking themselves up at 200+ pounds is taxing. It's especially taxing if they have to do it over the course of a 12 round championship fight. Another reason fighters being leaned on don't just take a knee is because it's risky. If their opponent is throwing and land a punch, or it appears to land around the time they take a knee, the ref could rule it a knockdown.

It's also not saving a lot of energy- taking a weight standing straight up (eg resting at the top of a squat) is a lot easier than taking that weight with legs bent (like a squat or lunge)- they still need to control the descent somewhat + then get up again as others said.

Wilder seemed to experiment with that idea a couple of times.

I remmember Lennox Lewis doing that a lot. Especially, against Tommy Morrison. I felt like his lower back hurt more than the punches to the head after the fight. Probably felt like he just finished a streak of deadlifts.

He could learn something from Muay Thai, head up and hips in. Good posture so that the force is going through your skeleton rather than supported on muscle. Wilder just absorbed all of Fury's weight with his muscle so he got tired. And as already covered going to a knee just gives Wilder a different problem.

Regarding Furys leaning on opponent tactic, I am unsure why fighters that Fury leans on do not just go to the canvas, being put to the canvas by anything other than opponents fists is illegal, nowhere in rule book does it say you are required to support weight of your opponent.

Points are supposed to be taken but the Ref ignores certain fouls, your correct just take a knee, but this probably wasn't shown to Wilder in the camp.

Usually certain boxers if dirty tactics start being used, certain boxers will throw low blows as hard as they can, this stops those sneaky illegal tactics, some will even wrestler fighters down even biting them like Tyson bit Evander, even Evander bit someone in a fight when he was a young an amateur, they start getting real dirty if this illegal fighting continues they use head buts, they try to brake elbows, wrestling, low blows; hitting behind the head, once certain fighters get dirty and rough.

Usually this stops but Wilder did nothing but complain, Mike would've tried to stop Fury from having children or bit him, Fury wouldn't tru that ever again against Mike.

David Haye tried this in his fight against Klitschko..didnt pan out very well

Chambers lifted Wladimir up in the air and took him down NCAA division I style but it didn't work out at the end.

Taking a knee isn't the smartest option everytime though. In the heat of the moment something like what happened to Ajagba last weekend could happen to everyone.

Voluntarily taking a knee can sometimes count as a knock down

@MoreKane if you want to create more threads could you at least make some about Terence Crawford, i'd love your insight.

Like @Cariñito said, it takes energy to get up. Keep in mind these are big men you're talking about so picking themselves up at 200+ pounds is taxing. It's especially taxing if they have to do it over the course of a 12 round championship fight. Another reason fighters being leaned on don't just take a knee is because it's risky. If their opponent is throwing and land a punch, or it appears to land around the time they take a knee, the ref could rule it a knockdown.
We can also add in it affects perception of the battle' momentum and would make the fighter continually falling look weaker, tired and potentially lose points on the cards. We have all seen fighters slip and crowd gasp, and even that can influence judge's scoring.

And as you point out, even if the other fighter simply throws a tiny slap as the other fighter is in the act of going down, it could be ruled as a knockdown. I was watching Prince Naseem vs Keven Kelley the other night, and on one of the ruled knock downs Naseem just lost balance with his huge swinging trunk movements and Kelley touched him as he was going down and it was ruled a knock down. Risking a 10-8 to try and milk a point or warning is very high risk/low reward. Like Conor McGregor's "back taking", if it truly was a successful hack other boxers would be doing it by now.

I was taught that if someone is putting their weight on you with their arms on your shoulders then you should load up on hooks to both sides of their body. If a guy is pushing and leaning against you you should use movement and punches to keep them from getting so close. To a certain degree if two guys are are leaning against each other they are both allowing it.

Back