Why don't champs complain if stuck on a bad PPV with low buyrates?

The Accuser

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Ofc the main event is the most important factor when it comes to PPV buys. But a shitty undercard can still ruin the buyrates. Since this has a direct effect on the biggest part of the income of a champ I'm surprised noone has ever complained about the card he has to perform on.

Examples:
Johnson vs Horiguchi
Aldo vs Mendes 2
Dillashaw vs Soto

Also, does anybody know how the PPV split works when there are two Championship fights on one Card? If both champs get the same cut as they usually get the UFC would be losing out since buys don't double.

Because they think they'll take care of it themselves... Which is fine...I mean they are the champion.

1. Not every champ gets a percentage of PPV buys.
2. Most pay is negotiated in a contract before the fights are even scheduled.
3. Complaining has never helped people employed by Zuffa Inc.

Ofc the main event is the most important factor when it comes to PPV buys. But a shitty undercard can still ruin the buyrates. Since this has a direct effect on the biggest part of the income of a champ I'm surprised noone has ever complained about the card he has to perform on.

If Mayweather vs. Pacman can do 4.4 mil at 100 bucks a pop, if Ronda Rousey can draw nearly a million in Brazil with that undercard and 600K with the atrocity that was UFC 184, while a much more stacked card like 187 does 375K, no champion has the right to complain about any PPV not doing well because of the undercard sucking. If a PPV buyrate sucks, it's because the champion isn't a draw, end of story.

Ronda sold half a million without any undercard to speak of.

So if the champ can't sell PPVs, it's his problem. As a fighter, he still gets to fight the best opponent for what his contract says he's getting.

And if he wants to get extra $$$ for his performance, he should do extra promotional work (Floyd's style is boring and Ronda demolishes her opposition before the bell echoes die off but people still pay to see them so it's not about giving fights).

If Mayweather vs. Pacman can do 4.4 mil at 100 bucks a pop, if Ronda Rousey can draw nearly a million in Brazil with that undercard and 600K with the atrocity that was UFC 184, while a much more stacked card like 187 does 375K, no champion has the right to complain about any PPV not doing well because of the undercard sucking. If a PPV buyrate sucks, it's because the champion isn't a draw, end of story.

In most cases, if the champion isn't a draw, it's because the Zuffers weren't willing to proclaim the champion could beat Mayweather, and didn't send the memo to the media to do so also.

Give me a better undercard. I don't have any fans.

Main events are what sell PPV's. The rest of the card isn't as relevant as people think.

UFC 182, 183, 184, and 190 all sold well with a fairly weak supporting cast. While UFC 185 and 187 had a good supporting cast and didn't do so great. Give DJ top 10 fighters up and down the card, like he had for UFC 178, and it still won't do well.

That would be like the champ complaining about himself being a crap PPV draw. The champ is always the main event over non-championship bouts, so the champ is supposed to be the main draw.

Because they're a champion, what's their to complain about when you're a champion.

Its the Champs fault. They're the big draw on the card, they should be doing their all to get people buying the PPV.

If you people don't think the undercard effects PPV buys ..... You are living in a fantasy land

Examples:
Johnson vs Horiguchi
Aldo vs Mendes 2
Dillashaw vs Soto

Also, does anybody know how the PPV split works when there are two Championship fights on one Card? If both champs get the same cut as they usually get the UFC would be losing out since buys don't double.

All Champs get a ppv bonus but only certain challengers get a ppv bonus , like Mcgreggor, Sonnen but if there is a headline with 2 champs defending they both get a slice if its over 350k buys they $3.50 per share under that they get nothing. Reality champs can only blame themselfs its up to them to promote etc

Mate because they would be admitting they're not a draw

Obviously

Back