Why don't animals live as long as people?

Immortal-Jellyfish-Bachware-1.jpg

The immortal Jellyfish and a dozen more creatures live longer than humans, which are also animals.

They have no medical attention in the wild.

And tortoises can live longer than people.

also whales. They found whales with harpoons in them from like 100 years ago.

Humans really have quite an exceptional lifespan, all considered.
Normally creatures which predate expend vast amounts of energy doing such and therefore die early. Creatures which are predated on expend energy avoiding being eaten as well as sometimes being eaten so they die early.
To be long lived you need to be larger enough to be not a victim of your environment and move slowly yet surely.
Whales, elephants, turtles, some non-predatory sharks fit this bill. Humans sortof do but then we also have the extreme intelligence advantage.
There is some thought that sheer volume of muscle mass assists longevity by providing more opportunities to combat DNA replication failures ie cancers and the like

Because we're gonna kill them anyway so God decided to give them a short life

View attachment 811187

They think this guy is 392 years old.....
Shit, came here to bring the greenland shark up!

IIRC, the 392 years is only the conservative estimate, the pal could even be older!
Regardless of that, it's mind blowing that this shark pretty much lived during whole modern human history, lol.

When kept as pets, parrots are remarkably long-lived. The larger the bird the longer they live.

Having owned a cockatiel for the last 15 years, I will never again own another bird, let alone a parrot.

Parakeets: 10-15 years.
Cockatiels: 15-25 years
Conures: 20-30 years
Cockatoos: 40-60 years
Macaws: 60-70 years
African Grey: 70-80 years

Supposedly, Winston Churchill's pet parrot is still alive and cursing Hitler.

Immortal-Jellyfish-Bachware-1.jpg

The immortal Jellyfish and a dozen more creatures live longer than humans, which are also animals.
I was watching one of those Discovery channel shows about life in really deep waters, and there are these scavenger sharks that live at the very bottom of the sea. They look similar to great whites, but they primarily feed off of dead sea life on the ocean floor. They took a sample of one of these things' flesh with a remote submarine and dated it. The fucking thing was about 500 years old, which means it was alive around the time that Columbus discovered America. Fucking astonishing.

Last edited:
Humans really have quite an exceptional lifespan, all considered.
Normally creatures which predate expend vast amounts of energy doing such and therefore die early. Creatures which are predated on expend energy avoiding being eaten as well as sometimes being eaten so they die early.
To be long lived you need to be larger enough to be not a victim of your environment and move slowly yet surely.
Whales, elephants, turtles, some non-predatory sharks fit this bill. Humans sortof do but then we also have the extreme intelligence advantage.
There is some thought that sheer volume of muscle mass assists longevity by providing more opportunities to combat DNA replication failures ie cancers and the like
The nugget of wisdom I got from this is long life = wear ninja turtle shell 24/7. Expend less energy trying not to get eaten.

Shit, came here to bring the greenland shark up!

IIRC, the 392 years is only the conservative estimate, the pal could even be older!
Regardless of that, it's mind blowing that this shark pretty much lived during whole modern human history, lol.
I wonder if cold water has something to do with longevity.

I wonder if cold water has something to do with longevity.
Who knows, i don't...

But what i do know is that their metabolism is ultra slow, i guess that's the most important factor.

Back