why don't americans support their fighters?

Because we admire achievement in this country above random ancestry and place of birth. It's irrelevant to me where a fighter comes from, his greatness is what counts to me.
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. You should show more nationalistic pride like other countries do.

Maybe it's because most American's only support fighters they actually enjoy watching and don't give a fuck about where they come from. There's tons of American's who support their fighters no matter what, though, just listen to them all screaming "USA!!" over and over.

I don't really support any fighters from my country (Canada) because their styles just don't really appeal to me. The only Canadian fighter I've ever truly been a big fan of is Mark Hominick and it's because his style was just really entertaining to me.

The people who only support fighters from their own country are a bunch of goofballs to me. I hate that patriotic bullshit or whatever you want to call it, it's so f'n lame to me.

I support only one entity in MMA, and that is the almighty JBG.

Why would you expect them to, when statistically Americans are more likely to be murdered, assaulted and insulted by other Americans than they are by people of other nationalities?

When there's so much statistical evidence for Americans hating Americans and American-on-American violence, it's no surprise that Americans don't support other American fighters (who are more likely to be the cunt that cut them off in traffic than their foreign opponent).

Of course it's not just Americans, the same can be said of any country where you're more likely to come into conflict with someone of your own nationality than you are a foreigner, so it doesn't make sense that you would automatically root for your own countryman over another person when your own countryman is someone you're more likely to have issues with outside the sporting event.

Because they have so much talent and so many different ethnicities from all over the world. Americans just want to see people red.

We just want to see talented fighters and good fights. We're not as nationalistic as we once were.

Mostly because our politicians have been increasingly invaded by fuckwits over the last few decades and we're not proud of a lot of shit our country does.

Also, most have bought into the lie of red vs. blue while the government robs us blind and makes us ignore the real fight (up vs. down).

There are U-S-A chants at every North America event in almost every fight against a fighter from outside the US.

..in general?

every other country gives massive support to their fighters. US fans just don't seem to really care one way or the other. for a country that is so proud of being american usually, i find this very strange.
i'm italian but i would always support conor over fellow italians

because america is the home of the blankets, canada is its little sister blanket.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. You should show more nationalistic pride like other countries do.

I would argue nationalistic pride is stupid. You had not choice in it. It's a random place you were shit out your mom. Why be so proud of that? You didn't choose it. You didn't achieve it.

MMA is not a nation vs nation sport

I don't care about the nationalities of fighters. The UFC isn't the Olympics.

Too many idiots and boring fighters to strictly go by nationality.

If MMA was a sport with few successful Americans...like it is for most other countries except Brazil(and soon to be Russia) you may see a more nationalistic approach. Americans tend to lend their support more regionally than nationally. People identify with figures from their "neck of the woods" more so than the actual country. You'll always see crowds support somebody that's local, even if they didn't know they were local before intros. Las Vegas is obviously the exception. Frank Mir got booed there against JDS.

After that, it's just an individual sport and people will root for who they want. Most fighters from other countries, especially those in Western Europe are basically international reps for countries that don't produce many reps that make it out of Europe. It's easy to see why England would get so behind their fighters. Scotland. Sweden. Etc. A lot of places have more nationalist attitudes than they care to admit. US just never really applied that to sports unless it was branded as an Us vs. Them deal...but it's not and American fighters are typically fighting each other while UFC usually has countrymen/women fight outsiders at foreign shows...so it makes the crowds job of picking a favorite easier.

Being an American fighter on an MMA card just doesn't distinguish a guy enough for them to get support on that alone. Obviously it does in Brazil no matter how loaded with Brazilians it is.

American fans are more educated, more objective and less chauvinistic than brazilians.

Back