Why don’t we see any heavy hitters use the Smash?

Destino2018

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
It seems like it’d be a good idea for someone who’s trying to catch the opponent into slipping up and if you give it to one of the heavy hitters in a division like Naoya who has hands of stone and are fast on top of that it seems like it’d be a deadly combo.

Good question.

Hes talking about a Uppercut/Hook. I think Oscar De La Hoya had a similar punch he gave a name too.
Its basically a 45 degree angle punch.
Ruddock would use it, but it was easy to tell because he had to load it up a little extra, making it easy to spot.

That punch leaves most open to counters. Same reason you don't uppercut from distance.

What a shit thread. Use a name for a punch that no one really uses but then don't bother to detail the actual technique.

That punch leaves most open to counters. Same reason you don't uppercut from distance.

This, it leaves you way too open for a brutal counter. Unfortunately doesn’t work like it does in hajime no ippo

I think you need the athleticism to utilize it effectively and it’s probably not the best choice unless you gravitate to it naturally.

Sort of like Tim Witherspoon’s “can opener”.

This reminds me of Major League 2 when Charlie Sheen was making up his own pitches that never worked. This was long before he had aids or whatever.....

Hes talking about a Uppercut/Hook. I think Oscar De La Hoya had a similar punch he gave a name too.
Its basically a 45 degree angle punch.
Ruddock would use it, but it was easy to tell because he had to load it up a little extra, making it easy to spot.

Thanks for clarifying. I thought that was called a shovel hook.

Edit: after watching the videos, it's not quite the same as a shovel hook. Naseem Hamed has a few punches pretty similar to that in his highlight reel, though.

Thanks for clarifying. I thought that was called a shovel hook.
Pretty much the same but a Shovel hook is a short range punch where the elbow stays pretty much on the hip.

I have been whooping people online in fight night champion recently and using ali. He does a similar type punch when using the stick

Yeah, I edited. This punch also comes straight up the middle, where a shovel hook does not.
If the punch came 'straight' up the middle it would be an uppercut which it isn't. This punch much have an angle to it.

I have been whooping people online in fight night champion recently and using ali. He does a similar type punch when using the stick
My records 89-66 on the Online World Championships, which you have to create a player for.
Was whooping the shit out of the #2 ranked player in the world, when the game disconnected.
Since then, twice now, when we got matched up, he ducked and wouldn't fight me.

Fuckin piece of shit.

This reminds me of Major League 2 when Charlie Sheen was making up his own pitches that never worked. This was long before he had aids or whatever.....

Should call it the hibernator

My records 89-66 on the Online World Championships, which you have to create a player for.
Was whooping the shit out of the #2 ranked player in the world, when the game disconnected.

Fuckin piece of shit.
251-90 for me but I’ve won like 20 fights in a row. Not world championship just ranked

Had a scare the other night. Went into the 8th down on the cards, and he kept doing this jab to the body, left hook to the body then right to the head that continuously landed

Finally i timed it and caught him with a counter uppercut when he did that jab and dropped his ass. He got up and i dropped him again quick after and then he quit.

I dunno. He may have still had a chance if he had continued tbh. It was back and forth the whole time

always fun to feast on bums tho too who throw 100 punches in the first round and gasses

Last edited:

Fuckin piece of shit.
Oh and i would serve u also

:)

Back