Why doesn't the UFC offer health insurance?

It's a slippery slope. Say you worked for a company and walked around all day as part of your job then quit. 5 years later you need knee surgery and a hip replacement due to excessive wear. Should your previous employer pay for all that?
I see what you are saying but this is worse.

Spencer has dementia at 44 this is directly due to the damage he incurred while fighting for the UFC. The NFL covers post career and it makes sense for them and it does too for the ufc

If fighters unionize they'll get a bigger chunk of UFC's revenue, health insurance, stipends for training costs, a pension after some amount of service, and other benefits.

Insurance wouldn’t have saved him from CTE...

Hmm at least they cover that. But I mean post career- more relevant to cases like Spencer.

You mean cover the medical of hundreds of athletes that aren’t with the company for the rest of their lives.

A)Likely bankrupt them
B) They aren’t legally liable every fighter signs a waiver saying they know the risks before entering the cage

No company offers health insurance to independent contractors.

They appear to do what is right and cover medical expenses associated with injuries incurred inside the octagon and provide accident insurance for medical expenses incurred from training for a fight.

Fighters given their occupation should have been first in line to sign up for insurance through the Affordable Care Act.

they would go broke. and half the fighters would be even more broke

That's not true at all. You can insure basically anything, you just pay a premium based on risk. I believe the UFC covers the costs of injuries directly obtained during a fight, it's just the subsequent long-term issues that may arise that aren't covered. That type of insurance would definitely be expensive, but it's certainly doable.

I don't think it's realistic. It'd be an absolute fortune.

Actually I just googled and they do not have post career coverage as no insurance provider would even give them a quote
https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest...ealthcare-nfl-players-why-it-wasnt-even-table

You mean cover the medical of hundreds of athletes that aren’t with the company for the rest of their lives.

A)Likely bankrupt them
B) They aren’t legally liable every fighter signs a waiver saying they know the risks before entering the cage

Thanks that makes sense. It sucks but Idk what can be done under these circumstances.

Apparently the NFL and NBA offer health insurance and what not.

Why not the UFC? Just as dangerous if not more.

This Spencer Fisher case is heartbreaking, health insurance would've helped people like him and the people that are gonna become like him soon.

do they offer health insurance in boxing? no.

They do. UFC pays for all fight related injuries

Houston insurance agency HCC Insurance Holdings has been contracted to provide the coverage. The policy, which goes into effect June 1, 2011, is the first of its kind that covers a large group of combat athletes and is the first for Zuffa.”

The policy also covers dental and life insurance for the fighters as long as they are under contract—also at no cost to the athletes. Overall, the policy covers doctor services, laboratory tests, emergency medical evacuation and physical therapy”

Details in article below
https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndic...ghters-and-how-it-furthers-the-sport.amp.html
FIghters need health insurance for life. This job takes it's toll on the fighters when their fighting careers are over. The health bills don't stop.

They do. UFC pays for all fight related injuries

Houston insurance agency HCC Insurance Holdings has been contracted to provide the coverage. The policy, which goes into effect June 1, 2011, is the first of its kind that covers a large group of combat athletes and is the first for Zuffa.”

The policy also covers dental and life insurance for the fighters as long as they are under contract—also at no cost to the athletes. Overall, the policy covers doctor services, laboratory tests, emergency medical evacuation and physical therapy”

Details in article below
https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndic...ghters-and-how-it-furthers-the-sport.amp.html
How do you know all this stuff? How do you have it at your fingertips? Are you taking peds? Impressive stuff, you do this a lot.

Apparently the NFL and NBA offer health insurance and what not.

Why not the UFC? Just as dangerous if not more.

This Spencer Fisher case is heartbreaking, health insurance would've helped people like him and the people that are gonna become like him soon.

it the same reason boxer dont get it. it also said that once you not a nfl player players say they cant get insureance cause there high risk for companies or there rates are so high they cant afford it.

i know a boxer named daniel franco who almost died in the ring an his promoter didnt help with bills.

How do you know all this stuff? How do you have it at your fingertips? Are you taking peds? Impressive stuff, you do this a lot.

When the pandemic started I was jobless and trapped in my apartment by myself. I ended up getting OBSESSED with the business side of the UFC.

So I spent literally days doing nothing but researching the business practices of the UFC. Their global expansion plans, the lawsuit, policy and etc.

I know all sorts of random stuff about the UFC administrative side that very few few people would have spent the time to look up and learn.

its a fairy tale

like how politicians say College should be free

someone has to pay for it

its a fairy tale

like how politicians say College should be free

someone has to pay for it
This is off topic. But we already pay taxes.. might as well get the benefits other developed countries get for the same.

When the pandemic started I was jobless and trapped in my apartment by myself. I ended up getting OBSESSED with the business side of the UFC.

So I spent literally days doing nothing but researching the business practices of the UFC. Their global expansion plans, the lawsuit, policy and etc.

I know all sorts of random stuff about the UFC administrative side that very few few people would have spent the time to look up and learn.
Ah, that explains it. I did similar but swap the business side of the UFC for curry lol. I fucking love curry.

That’s interesting mate, thanks for sharing.

All correct answers are given, but it does shock me if I think about it. You would think that the UFC had this covered years ago. I really don't mean to bash on Dana or the UFC, but it is pretty crazy to let people knee each other in the face, without giving them decent health insurance. I personally think fights should not even be sanctioned without fighters having health insurance.

Back