Why doesn't the UFC just make match-ups based on walking weight?

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
If you look at the weight classes, the number listed is obviously just the maximum weight you can be in the given weight class(+1 lb allowance for non title fight). Dana always complained if they did a catch-weight fight there would be no belt on the line and I say bullshit.

TJ and DJ could meet at 130 and it would still be a BW weight. Boxing does this all the time. Non title fights could be at an agreed upon weight within the weight class, which would allow for a bigger pool of match-ups. Stop making fighters cut to some arbitrary number that was created years ago. Just because its the status quo doesn't mean its ideal. With how the UFC is doing shit lately, the belts mean less and less. Why do we have 2 150 pound fighters suck themselves down to 135 pounds? It makes no sense. They are also losing potential talent due to shit pay and ridiculous weight cutting policies that they nothing to fix it.

So you're saying that the weight categories that every major MMA organization follow...are causing the UFC to slowly die, because "If they don't do something Bellator will be number 1 a few years down the road"?

Franklin weight or Rumble weight?

These things matter.

Will happen eventually and people will look back on weight cutting and laugh at how insane it was.

or...reasonable steps could be taken to abolish the idiotic practice of weight-cutting, like what OneFC has been doing.

Where would you draw the line for a weightclass?

Or would you have Lesnar vs. DC for the bantamweight title as a catchweight BW fight?

Cause everyone would turn to the Carwin height cutting trick instead!

Just have random weigh-ins every month and take avg. match up guys no more than 10 pounds apart.

No ones walking g weight is exactly the same and people carry weight differently. I might carry more water while u carry more fat or muscle. It's not the same. Cutting a small amount like a max of 15lbs is ideal imo bc then no k e would have a massive weight advantage. You might be 5-10 lbs smaller but never more than that and if u cant handle that poop on you.

cuz you'd get shit like Matt Serra vs Bigfoot Silva

Terror by KO

IDC about weight cutting even thought they look like death. I saw though, the first time you don't make weight (go to the hospital or go over) you have to move up for at least your next fight.

Not a bad idea, something needs to be done. How many fights have been ruined only this year alone because of a bad weight cut. Tons . its getting too much now

when youre going to kick someone's ass you'd try to have every advantage possible. the problem is managable but would take radical changes.

If it was up to ufc they would probably have no weightclasses

It’s the commission that demands that fighters are separated by weight classes

Weight fluctuates

I like the idea that if you miss weight, you automatically have to move up for your next fight

I believe in ONE FC fighters fight at their natural weight.

Weight fluctuates

I like the idea that if you miss weight, you automatically have to move up for your next fight

That's an awful idea because:

Some fighters fill in short notice, or a fighter has less time for prep than his opponent does. That shouldn't be held against him.

A fighter could have injuries or illness that prevented him from training as much as he could have if he was healthy year round before a fight.

All fighters should have to stay within 5-10% of the weight class limit whenever they have a fight booked. 5% for FLW, then 1% every class up.

"TJ and DJ could meet at 130 and it would still be a BW weight."

No........ Bantamweight is an MMA term to describe a weight class whose limit is 135 lbs.

130 is a catchweight.

And, imo, theres nothing wrong with making good interesting catchweight fights.

Back