Why doesn't Shogun go to MW?

Ive hear Rua is around 230lbs

doubt it. He looks really small when seen next to people who fight at lower weight classes even. For one, I remember the pictures next to Okami, or the ones next to Ronny Markes... both made Shogun look like a WW.

plus, remember Shogun weighed in at 227lbs at OW in Pride and was as FAT as ever. Very out of shape.

He can absolutely make MW imo, but no point seeing as he is already much slower than at his prime physical state and lacks the motivation I believe from what I see, read, etc.

i don't think his knees can take all the cardio that would take.

Gotta love the thinking here. He doesn't look ripped and he is relegated to gate keeper in his weight class. Move down and you will be successful!

Shogun is just old(in fighting years) and has multiple reconstructed knees. Shogun fans need to let the dream die and move on.

Maybe he should have given a fuck. His UFC record is 6-7 with notable loss to Chael Sonnen.

chael isn't a pushover.

gave anderson a run for his money.

plus his strength is one of shogun's weaknesses.

doubt it. He looks really small when seen next to people who fight at lower weight classes even. For one, I remember the pictures next to Okami, or the ones next to Ronny Markes... both made Shogun look like a WW.

plus, remember Shogun weighed in at 227lbs at OW in Pride and was as FAT as ever. Very out of shape.

He can absolutely make MW imo, but no point seeing as he is already much slower than at his prime physical state and lacks the motivation I believe from what I see, read, etc.

I dont know man, ill defer to you on his actual fighting weight if youve been following his career for a long time.

But if he was a LHW in his early 20's, and piqued in his late 20's- It just seems improbable he can loose 20 to 30 lbs in whats now probably the twillight of his career,

Even if he could, it would be pointless to get wrecked by guys that are just faster than hes ever been.

Because him having a six pack makes all the difference.

If he stops getting big fights at LHW perhaps he might try but I suspect the condition of his knees will make keeping the weight off difficult.

He can hang with anyone in the first round. Get past that with the top 10 and he has a fight on his hands.

Sorry amigo but NO!

Why is it that every championship round he's fought he won??

Won 4 and 5 vs machida
Won 4 and 5 vs hendo
Tko'd Vera in round 4

Care to comment??

its crazy how shogun weighs so much for a 5'11 6 foot guy, I am 6 foot with a wide frame and in shape and only weigh 180. I was 210 when i was fat. Shogun doesn't look like he weighs 220. It can't just be his legs. He must have very dense bones

but shogun did very good against gus considering how highly people think of gus. And he looked half a foot shorter than gus

Have you ever had Brazilian BBQ before OP

That is why

its crazy how shogun weighs so much for a 5'11 6 foot guy, I am 6 foot with a wide frame and in shape and only weigh 180. I was 210 when i was fat. Shogun doesn't look like he weighs 220. It can't just be his legs. He must have very dense bones

It is odd! My friend and I had this conversion today....were both 6'ft tall. I'm very thin, don't work out at all and he's constantly at the gym......looks visibly bigger then me and is 2 jacket sizes bigger. But yet he's 185 and I'm 176.

but shogun did very good against gus considering how highly people think of gus. And he looked half a foot shorter than gus

He did very well....underrated performance....2 close rounds but Gus really got him in the third and ran away with the fight

It's all about the 6 pack these days.

maybe he's like Cain, looks like he can cut down but can't really...

He's lazy with his diet, simple answer. Have you seen these monsters at MW? You really think Shogun is bigger than Weidman, Rockhold, Belfort, Sonnen etc? He was smaller than Hendo who is a tiny LHW, who is probably on his way down to MW.

I get it, weight cutting isn't for everyone, but lets not act like he couldn't make 185 while still cutting much less weight than a lot of the bigger guys in that division. You always hear the same stuff when this comes up, "oh but he big legs" or "maybe he has denser bones". Please guys, lets have a serious discussion here.

People commend him for not cutting weight, but lets be honest here, you think staying at 205 is doing him any favors? I commend a guy who realizes that a change needs to be made if you're still really serious about this and then goes and makes that change.

He has a 6-7 record in the UFC, no one he has ever beat is still a UFC LHW. They're all either retired or have moved down a weight class, or they're Brandon Vera. Is he in this to be successful, maybe even mount a title challenge? Or is he in this to be a "name" on the up and comers resumes?

Back