why doesn't overseen fight like a kickboxer

rstringer

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I dont really get it. When I look at Izzy, costya , Johanna , you can totally see the kickboxing background through their technique.

Overeem, with his extensive K1 background doesn't even remotely look like he did any kickboxing.

He rushes in chin up , hands low, goes for takedown he doesn't set up properly and yeah some times he gets lucky and pulls a submission after blocking a few punches with his head.

He looks more like a grappler who doesn't know how to strike than a veteran k1 striker.

Any idea why this is ? I just can't explain why he wouldn't supplement his improved grappling with superior striking techniques, just doesn't make any sense.

I dont really get it. When I look at Izzy, costya , Johanna , you can totally see the kickboxing background through their technique.

Overeem, with his extensive K1 background doesn't even remotely look like he did any kickboxing.

He rushes in chin up , hands low, goes for takedown he doesn't set up properly and yeah some times he gets lucky and pulls a submission after blocking a few punches with his head.

He looks more like a grappler who doesn't know how to strike than a veteran k1 striker.

Any idea why this is ? I just can't explain why he wouldn't supplement his improved grappling with superior striking techniques, just doesn't make any sense.

Cuz he's an MMA fighter who had success in kickboxing.

Overeem was always an mma fighter, in his k1 days he was despised by the kickboxers and his win was seen as a shame for kickboxing due to him being in his ubereem form, thats also why badr hari roided up too to beat him in the rematch amd kind of save kickboxing's pride (lol)

basically mma fighter overeem took some horsemeet amd barged into kickboxing knocking everybody out.

Its a good question that i have asked for years. It dont make any sense.

Its like his dutch striking fundamentals just went away post usada.

I get that his size, strenght, and confidence would go away without steroids.

But his basic techniques?

Wtf

Overeem's style is about blocking punches and covering up. That doesn't work in mma. It was a bit effective against a fighter like Sakai.

But the lack of head movement cost him and Saki their ko losses.

Joanne and izzy for example rely more on movement, range and agility. Their style is tailor-made for mma.

Wtf
Question: When did he show these "Dutch striking fundamentals"?

And by fundamentals, I mean defense.

Because I suggest he was always offense oriented. And then some time in 08 or so (before Werdum 2) but especially after Bigfoot knocked him into next century, he realized he couldn't continue the same old way anymore.

And what we see now (more caution, higher accuracy %, etc) is an extension of that transition toward defense.

You can see his offensive striking fundamentals just as clearly today as ever, if not more so. Sure the flying knee to the liver against Brock Lesnar and James Thompson was more gif-worthy back when he was 290lbs of pure muscle, but it's still his bread and butter move.

TLDR: he gave up high flying Dutch style K-1 offense in order to have more defense.

Last edited:
Dutch style relies on covering up with big gloves. Overeem has always relied on that and that's gotten him into trouble in MMA with the smaller gloves.

Adesanya doesn't fight like a traditional kickboxer at all. Which is why he's so successful in MMA

You can easily find Overeem's fights in K1. It's obvious that his skills greatly diminished over the years. Not that he didn't charge the same way back then, he was just way more explosive (and juiced), so he could get away with it. He also was never one of the most technical guys in K1. He was shrugged as a steroid monster, as a Bob Sapp type of fighter with some fundamentals.

Overeem has always been a MMA first fighter. Before his Ubereem phase he had just 3 fights in K1 and 34 in MMA. He has 25 KO wins and 17 submission wins. Now, when he is old and off the juice and when his chin is even more diminished (even in his Ubereem form he was hailed as a glass cannon), he has reverted back to his wrestling and grappling. Why would he stand toe to toe with younger, fresher, less war torn fighters, when he can outpoint and outwrestle them? (Yeah, what he did in the Ngannou fight was insane, I guess he wanted to try Francis' chin, which we later discovered is iron in the Stipe fight.)

Last edited:
He is probably training differently for MMA and does not want to have dangerous exchanges considering his chin.

Wtf

You tend to forget a few things when you've been knocked out over 15 times.
I'm rather surprised that Overeem's not a drooling vegetable yet.

He's has 14 kickboxing fights and 66 mma fights and started in mma before kickboxing. Gee such do you consider him?

You tend to forget a few things when you've been knocked out over 15 times.
I'm rather surprised that Overeem's not a drooling vegetable yet.
I really think it's the prolonged wars that do that. The constant head trama ala Diego Sanchez will be eating pudding for dinner soon but Arlovski and reem will be eating steak

Question: When did he show these "Dutch striking fundamentals"?

And by fundamentals, I mean defense.

Because I suggest he was always offense oriented. And then some time in 08 or so (before Werdum 2) but especially after Bigfoot knocked him into next century, he realized he couldn't continue the same old way anymore.

And what we see now (more caution, higher accuracy %, etc) is an extension of that transition toward defense.

You can see his offensive striking fundamentals just as clearly today as ever, if not more so. Sure the flying knee to the liver against Brock Lesnar and James Thompson was more gif-worthy back when he was 290lbs of pure muscle, but it's still his bread and butter move.

TLDR: he gave up high flying Dutch style K-1 offense in order to have more defense.

All his years k-1 run and also MMA fights up until after Bigfoot

Back