Why doesn't Gordon Ryan compete in the Gi ?

Evenflow80

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I heard a while back he was finally making the transition to gi competition and was training in the Gi .what happened ? Since then he won IBBJF Pan and Worlds which implies he isn't training in the Gi.
Heard people he got frustrated during GI training ? What happened ?

The guy is king in no GI besides maybe Pena. Why not transition into no GI and become BJJ GOAT?

He's always said he wants to end up in MMA in a few years, so I don't see why he would make the switch. He also said once he wanted to switch to gi because his brother Nicky is up and coming in nogi and he wanted to give him his time to shine... seems a little strange as their about 100 lbs apart.

I wouldn't be surprised if he never did. Doesn't seem to make sense for his career.. I think he just wanted to prove the naysayers wrong and probably realized the journey would have been a lot harder than originally expected.

cause gi and no gi are a night and day difference at the top level dont blame him for not doing gi having to then learn how to pass with grips and base yourself properly grip breaking and even open guard thats a lot of stuff to remember get down would prob take him a good 2 years to get super solid

Because gi sucks for him... he just said in an interview that he doesn’t enjoy it, so I guess that’s it

Maybe he realized it would take too much time to master the gi the same way he mastered nogi. I think it'd be better for him to just won double gold at adcc or something and then move on to MMA if that's his final goal.

I figured he was aiming for MMA. If that's the case, I don't see why he would take a detour into gi competition.

Maybe he realized it would take too much time to master the gi the same way he mastered nogi. I think it'd be better for him to just won double gold at adcc or something and then move on to MMA if that's his final goal.
I think this is exactly what he should do. If mma is the final goal it doesn't make sense to take at least a couple of years to dive into the gi world. I also think no gi to mma is would be a smoother transition.

If Gordon could secure double gold next year at adcc, I think that would be the most impressive consecutive adcc performances of all time.

I totally agree with him when he says gi is way more frustrating than no-gi, I get that.

I guess watching him compete, I always thought such a high level no-gi competitor would have an easier time transitioning to gi than other way around. Reason being gi grips, would at the very least give you things to grip more securely than in no gi.

Wonder when he goes to mma

The guys is still super young and a freakin beast

Wonder how many heel hooks he can pull off with mma gloves

I totally agree with him when he says gi is way more frustrating than no-gi, I get that.

I guess watching him compete, I always thought such a high level no-gi competitor would have an easier time transitioning to gi than other way around. Reason being gi grips, would at the very least give you things to grip more securely than in no gi.
It's likey easier to translate your no gi game over but there is a ton of gi stuff you have to learn how to deal with. Also I would guess the skill level is higher in the he gi. You often have given guys fighting the adcc with not really optimal games adapted from the gi. In the gi they stuff they do makes a lot more sense.

Back