Why Doesn't Every Car Come With A Breathalyzer?

Thing is it would never ever happen without government intervention. Car companies won't increase pricing to add a feature that not only isn't being requested, but would actually piss off a decent percentage of customers. Companies that chose not to participate would jump on this as a marketing opportunity, the auto industry is pretty competitive. It would have to be forced on auto manufacturers by the government, and the auto lobby would most likely prevent that. The government likes making money off of DUIs anyway.
Okay, so why doesn't the government step in and make it mandatory? I don't understand how the government works here, but couldn't Obama just say every car from this month has to have a breathaliser installed?

I'm not preaching, btw. Plenty of times I've been a passenger with a very drunk driver where I'm telling him to not go up on that curb.

I definitely don't want that ugly shit in my car. I don't drink and drive.

If forced on everyone I would definitely be the person to pay to have a bypass set up and have the breathalyzer system completely hidden.

They should have a bong shaped one for marijuana intoxication

I'm not preaching, btw. Plenty of times I've been a passenger with a very drunk driver where I'm telling him to not go up on that curb.
Man I hate drunk drivers.

A few months back I was driving home and there was this drunk asshole in front of me, swerving between lanes, speeding up then slowing down etc. I was fucking pissed and had enough, so I called it in. Called it in to my good friend Nicolas Cage that is. I quickly explained the situation and he said he'll be on his way. A few minutes later, there he is, driving his 1935 one of a kind, Rolls Royce Phantom. So then the Cage is driving next to me and signals to me that we'll have to cut him off. So the Cage drives up in front of him and I start tailgating the drunk fuck. Once he sees what we're up to he stops. He gets out, barely able to stand and starts calling us narcs. But Nic Cage had enough and lands an epic front kick, something like this:

ywoQrw.gif

The drunk fuck is out cold and we call the police, I later learned that he got sent to prison.

Okay, so why doesn't the government step in and make it mandatory? I don't understand how the government works here, but couldn't Obama just say every car from this month has to have a breathaliser installed?

Because every industry has a huge and mostly unified lobbying presence. In essence they can bribe the shit out of the government to give them favorable terms on just about anything unless their is a truly massive public outcry. You factor in the for profit legal system, where DUIs typically have an enormous fine attached that is all profit for the government, and there isn't much incentive for them to try to do anything like that. The government really doesn't care all that much about people dying in car accidents. Not nearly as much as they care about money anyway.

Man I hate drunk drivers.

A few months back I was driving home and there was this drunk asshole in front of me, swerving between lanes, speeding up then slowing down etc. I was fucking pissed and had enough, so I called it in. Called it in to my good friend Nicolas Cage that is. I quickly explained the situation and he said he'll be on his way. A few minutes later, there he is, driving his 1935 one of a kind, Rolls Royce Phantom. So then the Cage is driving next to me and signals to me that we'll have to cut him off. So the Cage drives up in front of him and I start tailgating the drunk fuck. Once he sees what we're up to he stops. He gets out, barely able to stand and starts calling us narcs. But Nic Cage had enough and lands an epic front kick, something like this:

ywoQrw.gif

The drunk fuck is out cold and we call the police, I later learned that he got sent to prison.
Can we be besties forevuuuhhhh? Love it, I so read the first 2 sentences sincerely. <3

im surprised by the general consensus on here being so anti breathalyzer while at the same time being so anti drunk driving. I actually think mandatory breathalyzers would be a good thing. They can make them so .08 and above your car aint starting.

And I apologized every time!!!

You're embarrassing me in front of all my friends

im surprised by the general consensus on here being so anti breathalyzer while at the same time being so anti drunk driving. I actually think mandatory breathalyzers would be a good thing. They can make them so .08 and above your car aint starting.

I think it's a great idea, but good luck getting them paid for without a government mandate. People will say it's too intrusive because they want the freedom to drink and drive. Nobody that drives drunk thinks THEY will kill anybody. the human ego is pretty fucked up.

ITT: Sherdog reveals it's full of alcoholics. I don't see why there's such opposition to the idea.

ITT: Sherdog reveals it's full of alcoholics. I don't see why there's such opposition to the idea.
People want to be able to drink and drive. We just talked about this in psychology class the other day, no matter what the subject everyone considers themselves to have above average ability. People will think well I've never killed myself and others while driving drunk, it must be safe then.

Because car company's want to continue selling cars, would be my first guess..

Because car company's want to continue selling cars, would be my first guess..

Yeah, I'm sure people would just stop driving if this was implemented.

Too much freedom infringement. I'll just take the bus.

Critical thinking is not your strong suit. I could have told you why that was a problematic idea when I was in the 1st grade.

Back