Why doesn't Dustin matchup well against Khabib?

He will be so paranoid of the takedown his striking will be irrelevant

Easy win for Khabib

He will be so paranoid of the takedown his striking will be irrelevant

Easy win for Khabib

If he throws his trademark flurry Khabib will just level change and put him on the fence and drain him the way he leaves his knees hanging out when he leans into it.

I think hes got a better shot than Tony tbh. He'll turn it into a dog fight and hes got the cardio to be dangerous for 5 rds. Lets schedule the fight already, im tired of only seeing 1 championship fight a year.

I think Dustin can pull it off. Especially with the momentum hes gonna have from this win.

I think he matches up well tbh... He's got great boxing (and defense). His TDD is solid, and his grappling is top notch. His only real weakness is his chin. If Khabib lands the right hand he landed on Conor, Poirer will be knocked out cold.

His TDD is some of the worst that Khabib has faced. His boxing looked good against Max, but Max also doesn't have the biggest takedown threat in the division. Khabib has underrated boxing. Dustin's cardio isn't going to hold up if he gets taken for a ride and beat up. This fight will be -1200 or something.

zXoaR42.jpg
Who are his td stats based on, and how long ago? I'm not saying you're wrong, just curious

Stats can be deceiving. A large percentage of take-downs versus Poirier are earlier in his career.
But most of his fights aren't against grapplers. His recent fights are mostly against strikers.

Well Dustin has four to five months to hit the wrestling takedown defense really hard in training.

He can out strike Khabib all day long. He just needs to get lucky and stuff Khabib takedowns early or at the very least really make him work for the takedown and not let Khabib maul him when does get the takedown. Hopefully he can do that for the first two rounds and I think the scale tips in Dustin's favor at that point.

Dustin would lose, Justin would get ruined.

El Cucuy is coming.

As usual, the threat of the TD, will severely restrict Poirer's striking game. Its predictable..
Very, very straightforward matchup for Khabib.

I think Poirier is going to struggle against Khabib unless Khabib stupidly tries to stand with him. Barring luck, I don't think Khabib has what it takes to put Poirier out and Poirier's punches are much heavier than Conor's. Khabib should play it smart and just go straight to the mat..

Well Dustin has four to five months to hit the wrestling takedown defense really hard in training.

He can out strike Khabib all day long. He just needs to get lucky and stuff Khabib takedowns early or at the very least really make him work for the takedown and not let Khabib maul him when does get the takedown. Hopefully he can do that for the first two rounds and I think the scale tips in Dustin's favor at that point.

Versus a lifetime of grappling and a guy who learned to walk in a wrestling/sambo gym, I think those 5-6 month will not be enough. Conor had a year.

Anybody who says Justin is a threat and not Porier is simple.

And what have we seen to show that's not possible? Dustin has shown high output then still having the gas to throw fight ending combos in the later rounds.
isnt that in striking heavy fights though? Striking for 4 rounds is different than getting wrestled for 3 or 4 rounds.

isnt that in striking heavy fights though? Striking for 4 rounds is different than getting wrestled for 3 or 4 rounds.

You have to defend and as you do your heart rate just keeps going up and up. You are gasping for air but you can't get enough. You start to feel like you can't breath and want to stop shrimping but you can't. If you do the hits start landing on your head and each time they do things get a little heavier, a little more confusing. Your arms start to lose strength and your whole abdomen starts to burn from the lack of oxygen. You're so hot and nothing is working. You want to close your eyes but your just not getting hit right to go out. If you verbally submit then you might lose your profession. The bell rings, you're reassured by your team, you just have make it another 5 minutes.

The same people who marvel at how someone like Poirier "evolved" from the guy who got son'd by gatekeepers like Korean Zombie and MJ to an elite LW that finished Alvarez and Chandler will maintain that Khabib didn't improve at all and is still a one dimensional wrestler lol.

Khabib dropped Conor and we already know his grappling is elite. As impressive as Poirier has been lately he simply does not have the tools to match up with prime Khabib.

Khabib's boxing ability + TD threat will probably give him the striking edge like it did against Al, Barboza, and just about everyone else. Poirier is no different.

The only reason Khabib won't be a -1000 favorite or something is the morons that want to see him lose and will bet on whoever is fighting him, regardless of skills.

As we've seen in his last 3 fights, Khabib has deceptively good boxing offence and defense. He is especially good at reading timing, distance, and range. So keeping it standing doesn't equal an easy KO.

As for the ground game, Dustin's TDD is not all that special. He has very good bjj but kinda like RDA he doesn't have all that much off of his back for Khabib to worry about.

He is no pushover and has a shot...just not a very good one.

Good question. I am not really sure. I think it might just turn into another Khabib vs AL situation. But he sure as hell matches up better than many of the other 155 lbers.

Keeping it on the feet against Khabib is easier said than done. Dude has taken down everyone except for that juiced up version of Tibau. As good as Dustin is he doesn't do anything good enough to beat Khabib, he will get beaten on the ground and on the feet.

He won't be able to touch Khabib on the feet and if he rushes forward like he was in the first against Holloway he will just get clinched and taken down. Poirier will look like a totally different guy being the one worrying about wrestling, and with Khabib you aren't just being put on your back and laid on, he will beat you and sap your energy.

Back