Why doesn't Dustin matchup well against Khabib?

Airdack

sandbagging white belt bjj classes
@Black
Reaction score
Dustin has great cardio for his heavy output, 5 round experience, vicious striking, good TDD, and is a black belt in BJJ with some slick sub wins. I don't get how he is being disregarded against Khabib. Dustin has the speed and power to make it interesting, plus he's been bulking up a good bit since going LW. People are saying Justin and Tony are the only threats to Khabib at LW. Dustin outstruck Gathje to a TKO.

If Dustin can land early or weather the storm it will be interesting. Remember Khabib had issues getting Al down in the later rounds and was visibly slowing down. Usually Dustin does great on the later rounds, he just threw so fucking much against Max that he slowed down. Dustin is also a solid counter puncher.

What are your thoughts on the matchup?

He has good cardio for his size, but he would have to be able to survive 2 rounds on his back getting smashed, and then be able to push the aggression after surviving in round 3 and punish Khabib when he tries to take a round off. I don't think he can do that.

He has good cardio for his size, but he would have to be able to survive 2 rounds on his back getting smashed, and then be able to push the aggression after surviving in round 3 and punish Khabib when he tries to take a round off. I don't think he can do that.
And what have we seen to show that's not possible? Dustin has shown high output then still having the gas to throw fight ending combos in the later rounds.

conor today can easily win vs dustin. Khabib owns conor..so yeh

he definatley shown his heart and ability to keep fighting hard in championship rounds, but I think it's a different fight with khabib, the grappling will be more prominent

He's certainly got access to a great camp to work his takedown defence. I think he's got a good shot. As a 2 or 3 to 1 underdog? I'd be on it for sure

His TDD is some of the worst that Khabib has faced. His boxing looked good against Max, but Max also doesn't have the biggest takedown threat in the division. Khabib has underrated boxing. Dustin's cardio isn't going to hold up if he gets taken for a ride and beat up. This fight will be -1200 or something.

zXoaR42.jpg

I think he definitely has a shot of winning that fight, but I just can't see him stopping Khabib's takedowns consistently enough to win. If Khabib starts slowing down in the 4th or 5th rounds though he could be in real trouble.

People just never learn. Dustin matches up fine with bhibster. Will Dustin be favored ? No but he just continues to quietly evolve into not only an elite 155er but pound for pound talk will be thrown his way when USA today comes out with their ranking updates on tuesday.

At this point , TODAY, Dustin will be bhibster s toughest opponent (including McGregor - styles etc).
I'd love to see Conor Dustin 2 . A ridiculous evolved Dustin who wont have nerves and in turn wont get pinged in the back of the ear would be an awesome fight.

His TDD is some of the worst that Khabib has faced. His boxing looked good against Max, but Max also doesn't have the biggest takedown threat in the division. Khabib has underrated boxing. Dustin's cardio isn't going to hold up if he gets taken for a ride and beat up. This fight will be -1200 or something.

zXoaR42.jpg
Who are his td stats based on, and how long ago? I'm not saying you're wrong, just curious

Dustin has great cardio for his heavy output, 5 round experience, vicious striking, good TDD, and is a black belt in BJJ with some slick sub wins. I don't get how he is being disregarded against Khabib. Dustin has the speed and power to make it interesting, plus he's been bulking up a good bit since going LW. People are saying Justin and Tony are the only threats to Khabib at LW. Dustin outstruck Gathje to a TKO.

If Dustin can land early or weather the storm it will be interesting. Remember Khabib had issues getting Al down in the later rounds and was visibly slowing down. Usually Dustin does great on the later rounds, he just threw so fucking much against Max that he slowed down. Dustin is also a solid counter puncher.

What are your thoughts on the matchup?
Striking cardio is not the same as grappling cardio and Khabib will force him to grapple non stop. Can Dustin grapple for 3 rounds without gassing? How about spend 3 rounds under a grappler with a stiffling top game and not get tired? I doubt it, but we'll see. His TDD is not good enough, guy was taken down by Pettis of all people.

I mean Khabib is going to do one thing, chain Wrestle, can Dustin handle it for 2 rounds and still have the same output

Because my boy Dustin was taken down by Eddie Alvarez, that's never a good sign when you're going to fight Khabib.

His grappling isn't anywhere near up to par, and his striking game doesn't mean a whole lot when Khabib has shown numerous times that he can maneuver past that and get practically anyone to the ground where he wants them. If he avoided major damage against the likes of McGregor and Barboza, there's not much hope for Poirier to be the one to catch him with something.

Who are his td stats based on, and how long ago? I'm not saying you're wrong, just curious
If we consider only his recent fights, the best """wrestler""" Dustin stuffed was Eddie... which doesn't tell us much. Dustin hasn't fought a high level wrestler recently, so his TDD is at least suspect.

He will be very hesitant because of takedowns.
Will get shut down cause of it and lose like everyone else did to Khabib

And what have we seen to show that's not possible? Dustin has shown high output then still having the gas to throw fight ending combos in the later rounds.

of course it is possible, but less likely than poirier being taken down and grinded until he's tired or finished

If we consider only his recent fights, the best """wrestler""" Dustin stuffed was Eddie... which doesn't tell us much. Dustin hasn't fought a high level wrestler recently, so his TDD is at least suspect.
He's at a great place to improve those holes though (and has a good bjj game to start with). Personally I don't think it's something you ever see many fighters truly do, but Dustin has improved a shit ton

Back