Why doesn't Cody jab?

Cody has the same reach as Artem Lobov. That’s a big part of it I believe. Jab is a great tool for fighters with good reach

Sure. The short version first: the less things to worry about beside the punches, the more room for making the jab work different ways.

The more shit to worry about (Kicks, takedown, clinch, ect), the less opportunities to get a effective jab going.

First time I think i ever disagree with you but on this one I do disagree. Aside from the jab being the most important punch in boxing, or any sport that involves punching. Of all the striking weapons to be used in MMA, the hands are the most used, and most effective, given the small gloves, and the fact that a large portion of kicks are somewhat "taken out" of the game due to take downs and grappling. MMA just tends to favor a more hand dominant style of striking.

Im still waiting for liam vs cody <Lmaoo>

First time I think i ever disagree with you but on this one I do disagree. Aside from the jab being the most important punch in boxing, or any sport that involves punching. Of all the striking weapons to be used in MMA, the hands are the most used, and most effective, given the small gloves, and the fact that a large portion of kicks are somewhat "taken out" of the game due to take downs and grappling. MMA just tends to favor a more hand dominant style of striking.

Im still waiting for liam vs cody <Lmaoo>

Good input. But its really easy to just think 1 and 0 in a discussion like this. I still think the jab is a very important punch in any striking art that have punches to the face.

But to you cant have so much room or openings for a complex and advanced jab game as in boxing.

Its 50/50 because of A) the training time in takes to get really good at it, and B) because of all the different stuff you need to worry about.

The are probably just two ways to have a really good MMA jab.

1) if you came into the MMA from a solid striking background. And allready got the jab in your skills.

Or

2) if you got a khabib / gsp level wrestling game. And everybody is scared to death from you taking them down.

Cody lacks more than just a jab. He lacks straight punches in general.

Cody only has particular aspects of boxing down. His outside defense is bad, His inside hand defense is ok at best. He doesn't set up his power punches well .

Look at his last win. A better boxer wouldnt have missed the counter for which he again was wide open . He has the flashy stuff down to a t but is way too much in love with powerhooks.

I would even favour Sean O Malley because of Codys style deficiencies.

Still a good fighter with great upper body mobility.

Good input. But its really easy to just think 1 and 0 in a discussion like this. I still think the jab is a very important punch in any striking art that have punches to the face.

But to you cant have so much room or openings for a complex and advanced jab game as in boxing.

Its 50/50 because of A) the training time in takes to get really good at it, and B) because of all the different stuff you need to worry about.

The are probably just two ways to have a really good MMA jab.

1) if you came into the MMA from a solid striking background. And allready got the jab in your skills.

Or

2) if you got a khabib / gsp level wrestling game. And everybody is scared to death from you taking them down.

i get what your saying....you dont/wont have a opportunity to get a good jab going, due to takedowns basically. as mma matches can and often do get turned into bjj matches more or less. so yeah unless someone wants to strike with you, it will be difficult to establish a effective jab.......something along those lines i think is what your trying to say

I kinda agree and the jab is my best punch, smh. The jab can be effective in mma, but if you are not great at it - or even if you ARE great and just get a bit lazy- you run a huge risk of getting countered with a right hook (almost everyone in mma loves throwing power hooks). The risk is bigger than in boxing because the gloves are so much smaller. Even Wlad Klitschko would sometimes get countered over his jab when he boxed and in mma, that can be fatal.

Add in kicks, takedowns and clinch warfare and good jab just doesn't have the same ability to keep guys off of you.

Jon Jones' oblique kick is the most effective "jab-like" weapon I've seen in mma - risk free, energy efficient and keeps the opponent at bay.
Jones benefits massively from being extraordinarily long though, i don't think these techniques work as well if someone average sized (in terms of length) will do it.

A more relevant question is: why does he lose the same way every fight?.... ....

It's as if he is impervius to learn from his mistake.

Cody has the same reach as Artem Lobov. That’s a big part of it I believe. Jab is a great tool for fighters with good reach

One doesn't have to have a long reach to have a good jab. Sure, it helps but there are plenty of fighters with average reaches who have excellent jabs. It's a timing shot & it's an excellent tool to use to get into range for your other shots. Volkanovski has a shorter reach than Holloway but he was able to consistently outjab Max. Petr Yan is another fighter without a big reach but who has a great jab.

IMHO, the jab & the double jab are the two most underused punches in MMA.

Back