Why doesnt Aldo throw many leg kicks anymore?

So faber took like 500 lowkick without quiting. What other fight?
Its the complete toolkit and fight iq that make Aldo great. Not his lowkick
He use to throw them in his combinations and they clearly hurt his opponents. After the Lamas fight he stop throwing them.

He broke his foot kicking chang
Then he got hurt again a couple times while training and it cost him time/fights
I dont know if hes mentally ready to kick again

Someone made a thread a while ago comparing stats before chang and after chang fight. Then he got hurt again after that

His lowkick being a super weapon is a Rogan myth

FlawedSoggyIndianpalmsquirrel-size_restricted.gif

2LFxbRK.gif

Dm2PopQ.gif

YOIioLg.gif

2ckWg.gif

aldo-sets-up-leg-kicks-lamas.gif

53.gif

I am wondering this now every time I see him fight, why not use your best weapon?

He's quite a bit slower than he used to be. He even started using less leg kicks when he first came to the UFC. In his WEC days, he was so damn springy he could snap off a leg kick and then somehow transport 5 feet backward in a flash to avoid any counters.

That second fight with Mendes might be one of the best fights of all time and Aldo showed everything in that fight - kicks, boxing, TDD, offensive grappling, toughness, etc.
I just rewatched this fight at random a few weeks ago. Absolutely insane fight. I actually had forgotten how good it was. Both guys were on fire going into that fight.

He broke his foot kicking chang
Then he got hurt again a couple times while training and it cost him time/fights
I dont know if hes mentally ready to kick again

Someone made a thread a while ago comparing stats before chang and after chang fight. Then he got hurt again after that

I think you're right, it was the Zombie fight where Aldo banged up his foot bad with a leg kick.

That shit is just painful. I can't imagine foot on shin with an Aldo-powered kick.

It's a shame Aldo can't/isn't kicking any more. It used to be one of the best weapons in the lower weight classes. He's break down your base with leg kicks and then maul you with his fists since you've lost mobility.

This, so much.

People who think Aldo's leg kick game wasn't amazing either have poor memories or didn't watch Aldo in his prime. Aldo got a ton of power with the amount of hip turn he got on his kicks. He was sooooo good at chopping down people's lead leg.

Last edited:
I just rewatched this fight at random a few weeks ago. Absolutely insane fight. I actually had forgotten how good it was. Both guys were on fire going into that fight.

I've watched that fight probably ten times. People forget how good Mendes was. That guy almost knocked out Volk two years back. Aldo took all that guy could dish out and won four rounds, while displaying everything that made him great. There's a takedown in that fight that Aldo reverses and gets into full mount that's just beautiful.

His lowkick being a super weapon is a Rogan myth
Trolling on purpose to get people to show u gifs for ur own pleasure. slick indeed.
no way ur a young pro fighter and don't know trainer look at aldo's low kicks as a blue print for the perfect mma low kick before teaching a class.

This, so much.

People who don't think Aldo's leg kick game wasn't amazing either have poor memories or didn't watch Aldo in his prime. Aldo got a ton of power with the amount of hip turn he got on his kicks. He was sooooo good at chopping down people's lead leg.

Anyone who refutes how effective those kicks were before he stopped throwing them for myriad reasons either forgot, hasn't seen those fights or is just plain dumb, lol.

He's very late in his career and his knees and ankles are probably worn out.

What happened? I haven't seen him throw a leg kick in a while. Anyone know why? Injury, gameplan, stamina?
Conor's knockout gave him slight brain damage in the part responsible for leg movement, he cant kick as well now

He broke his foot against KZ plus the aforementioned accident, his leg is extremely compromised so he stopped using it for the most part
Unbelievable that he pretty much turned into a boxer from being mostly a kicker and his career still went really well for a really long time

So faber took like 500 lowkick without quiting. What other fight?

Its the complete toolkit and fight iq that make Aldo great. Not his lowkick
His toolkit is incomplete without the famous (not just Rogan hyping it) leg kicks. You are totally wrong here bro and now you are trying to qualify a ridiculous statement. Quit while you're ahead.

Back