Why doesn’t the ufc go to Hawaii?

Lol why then does BJ have to travel to the States every time he trains? He couldn’t concentrate on training at all. Everyone wants to go surfing, smoke weed, eat pork burritos. Leben couldn’t get anything going when he was there either and had to move back. I’ve been there, lots of idle time of doing nothing

Just fyi for you in the future. Hawai'i happens to be a state.

Hawaii is lazy as fuck. My pop used to live there and I would visit a lot, especially because we got free airline tickets back before 9/11 when they stopped all that. The pace of life is much slower. It can even be annoying if you are an "A" type personality.
You have no idea what you’re talking about. A large percent of the population has to work 2-3 jobs just to make ends meet. This is the same bigoted shit that’s been said about Hawaii for years. The pace of life is slower for sure, but that does not translate to “lazy.”

A lot of people there. (Honolulu) has nice convention center. At least for a fight night. If ufc can do south Korea or some small town they can definitely do Hawaii. #ufchawaii

Hawaii is one of the worst places to do business

They had that rumble on the rock thing. Pretty sparse local talent. Mostly fatties with tattoos

I'm old enough to remember the ProElite fights that were mostly in Hawaii. Another MMA organization that was supposed to do big new things and apparently went broke after 3 cards. Never even finished the HW Grand Prix.

Hawaii is one of the worst places to do business
It's good to do business if you're a rail construction company and want to have more income via huge cost increases with zero oversight.

I'm old enough to remember the ProElite fights that were mostly in Hawaii. Another MMA organization that was supposed to do big new things and apparently went broke after 3 cards. Never even finished the HW Grand Prix.
Seems like Pro Elite was run by cocky incompetent bastards who ignored the former heads of the orgs Pro Elite bought out. I think from Sherdog Radio I heard the execs flew out a ton of turd entourage to each event like no regard for cost/benefit. Maybe that was Scott Coker's comments where he contrasted with the tiny staff he used for Strikeforce.

The only thing dumber than a lot of the “Hawaii is lazy” remarks in this thread is the real reasons the UFC hasn’t come to Hawaii yet. I lived in Hawaii for 27 years before leaving last year. Hawaii has a rich martial arts tradition especially BJJ.

Reason # 1. These are the words of Enson Inoue @Yamato Damashii from April 2018:

Just got word that the Hawaii Tourism Authority just shut down any chance for UFC Hawaii in the near future. A major reason was that the UFC would bring “bad” people to out islands.
I was so surprised and saddened to hear that MMA is still in this day and time being stereotyped as a “thug” sport and it would bring “bad” people.
I was a MMA fighter and I am now a fan of MMA and I am far from a thug.
Sad day for the fighters and fans of MMA in Hawaii.

Pure idiocy and stereotyping at its absolute finest.

Reason #2
Venue. The blaisdell is too small (6000 seats) the Stan sheriff center is also small (10,000 seats)and borderline dilapidated. That leaves Aloha stadium which also isn’t in the greatest shape but it can hold a big Crowd. Dana’s reason for avoiding the stadium is that it rains too much in Hawaii for an outdoor show.

It’s hard to disagree with him on the rain. Even if you covered the octagon like other shows have done, I believe K-1 did a show at the stadium, it would suck for the fans to get rained on.

There’s also another reason. I love Hawaii and always will, but it has a notoriously bad reputation for being a difficult place to conduct business. It sucks because the fans deserve it. Dana used to used the “cost” excuse. Then they started doing shows on every continent including Antarctica so it’s like, “Is it REALLY cost?” It’s a perfect storm of ineptitude is what it is.

Seems like Pro Elite was run by cocky incompetent bastards who ignored the former heads of the orgs Pro Elite bought out. I think from Sherdog Radio I heard the execs flew out a ton of turd entourage to each event like no regard for cost/benefit. Maybe that was Scott Coker's comments where he contrasted with the tiny staff he used for Strikeforce.

Well they signed a partnership with DREAM like a month before DREAM went out of business, so I'd believe that. Likely the shady people the execs were flying out from Japan for a nice Hawaiian vacation before they officially declared it. Got played.

The only thing dumber than a lot of the “Hawaii is lazy” remarks in this thread is the real reasons the UFC hasn’t come to Hawaii yet. I lived in Hawaii for 27 years before leaving last year. Hawaii has a rich martial arts tradition especially BJJ.

Reason # 1. These are the words of Enson Inoue @Yamato Damashii from April 2018:

Just got word that the Hawaii Tourism Authority just shut down any chance for UFC Hawaii in the near future. A major reason was that the UFC would bring “bad” people to out islands.
I was so surprised and saddened to hear that MMA is still in this day and time being stereotyped as a “thug” sport and it would bring “bad” people.
I was a MMA fighter and I am now a fan of MMA and I am far from a thug.
Sad day for the fighters and fans of MMA in Hawaii.

Pure idiocy and stereotyping at its absolute finest.

Reason #2
Venue. The blaisdell is too small (6000 seats) the Stan sheriff center is also small (10,000 seats)and borderline dilapidated. That leaves Aloha stadium which also isn’t in the greatest shape but it can hold a big Crowd. Dana’s reason for avoiding the stadium is that it rains too much in Hawaii for an outdoor show.

It’s hard to disagree with him on the rain. Even if you covered the octagon like other shows have done, I believe K-1 did a show at the stadium, it would suck for the fans to get rained on.

There’s also another reason. I love Hawaii and always will, but it has a notoriously bad reputation for being a difficult place to conduct business. It sucks because the fans deserve it. Dana used to used the “cost” excuse. Then they started doing shows on every continent including Antarctica so it’s like, “Is it REALLY cost?” It’s a perfect storm of ineptitude is what it is.
I'm pretty sure the major reason was actually HI not wanting to pay UFC the same multimillions paid to NFL for Pro Bowl when UFC wanted to come when tourism was already busy for easy pickings rather than be the attraction to get tourists to come when tourism is usually slow. I think Enson's quote about the thug fans was way prior to UFC and HI having discussions in Las Vegas.

It also rarely rains here. Yesterday it dizzled here and rained enough for puddles there.

I remember awhile back there was a report that the Hawaiian tourism board, or whatever wanted a few million dollars ($6M rings a bell, but I could be off) to allow the UFC to stage a card. And the UFC wasn’t/isn’t prepared to pay that much.
You got that backwards bro. The UFC wanted 6mil from the tourism board to bring the event there. The tourism board countered with a 1 million dollar offer. It was a stupid move. They should have paid the 6 mil. The benefits to the economy would have been well worth it.

https://business.financialpost.com/...-board-refuses-ufcs-6m-offer-for-hawaii-event

I'm pretty sure the major reason was actually HI not wanting to pay UFC the same multimillions paid to NFL for Pro Bowl when UFC wanted to come when tourism was already busy for easy pickings rather than be the attraction to get tourists to come when tourism is usually slow. I think Enson's quote about the thug fans was way prior to UFC and HI having discussions in Las Vegas.
You’re right. I just posted the article.

You’re right. I just posted the article.
The big thing was the timing. Why invest millions if UFC wasn't willing to bring their crowd here and would rather milk existing crowd? They wanted to come when tourism was usually good as is, which would cause any UFC fans coming to deal with lack of hotels maybe. I'm pretty sure Pro Bowl had people come here for that, including out of state hot strippers who knew the Pro Bowl crowd would be good for an income spike.

You got that backwards bro. The UFC wanted 6mil from the tourism board to bring the event there. The tourism board countered with a 1 million dollar offer. It was a stupid move. They should have paid the 6 mil. The benefits to the economy would have been well worth it.

https://business.financialpost.com/...-board-refuses-ufcs-6m-offer-for-hawaii-event

I could have got it backwards. There was no intent to lie, or deceive...

Either way. Hawaii didn’t want it, yes?

giphy.gif

It also rarely rains here. Yesterday it dizzled here and rained enough for puddles there.
Actually reading the article and enson’s quotes, they line up around the same time. I think maybe that was an excuse they used initially? I used to live close enough to the stadium to hear the crowd when the football team was good and in the winter time there were times were it rained a LOOOOOT.

Well they signed a partnership with DREAM like a month before DREAM went out of business, so I'd believe that. Likely the shady people the execs were flying out from Japan for a nice Hawaiian vacation before they officially declared it. Got played.
I think he was referring to $kala and his huge entourage of useless turds at each Pro Elite event.

I could have got it backwards. There was no intent to lie, or deceive...

Either way. Hawaii didn’t want it, yes?

giphy.gif
Dude I’m not calling you out, I’m just correcting you. I didn’t imply you were lying.

I wish SuperBrawl/Icon Sport was still around...

The big thing was the timing. Why invest millions if UFC wasn't willing to bring their crowd here and would rather milk existing crowd? They wanted to come when tourism was usually good as is, which would cause any UFC fans coming to deal with lack of hotels maybe. I'm pretty sure Pro Bowl had people come here for that, including out of state hot strippers who knew the Pro Bowl crowd would be good for an income spike.
Lol the stripper diversity definitely spiked around pro bowl time. Strippers and thots on the prowl for NFLers.

Back