Why does Whittaker get over looked?

He's a transitional champ

We all know it

Looks like this.

Whittaker beat Jac and Romero twice and people still see as a "can lose any fight" kind of guy. Myself included.

It’s between him and Romero at the moment. One guy may be better so that means we should completely overlook everything he’s done. All of a sudden everybody in the division is better than him. I really dislike this mindset so many mma fans have.
There's zero doubt Whittaker >> Romero. I mean ffs Whittaker is 2-0 vs him despite injuries and Yoel juicing and missing weight

I think the main reason Whittaker is overlooked is because he took Ls down at WW

Yoel really destroys his high calibre opponents, doesn't grimace in pain or ends up in need trouble, and the two loses he took from Whittaker doesn't do him big disservice as he still looked and performed like a scary terminator there. He faced plethora opponents and he is tested against many styles of fighting, so there isn't really any proper way of trying to fight him.

Because as talented as Whittaker is, he's less likely to give you brain damage or one shot KO you.

Not that hard to understand.
Bingo

Likewise I'd rather face GSP than justin Gaethje

He hasn't had that statement win as champ. He pretty much just survived 10 rnds with Romero. I scored both those fights for Romero.

Also got starched by boring wonderboy.
If you scored the first fight for romero you arent just blind.

They're mad that he beat yoel romero, who basically represents every man's body goals.

If you dont talk and dont look like a marble sculpture then no one cares that much. Being humble doesn't pay the bills as much as talking heaps of shit. No one even makes a big deal out of him here in Australia, I have seen like one interview with him and thats when he won the title.

There's zero doubt Whittaker >> Romero. I mean ffs Whittaker is 2-0 vs him despite injuries and Yoel juicing and missing weight

I think the main reason Whittaker is overlooked is because he took Ls down at WW
That 2-0 is on paper, but people saw the fights and saw how dominating Yoel was. Even Whittaker himself said he was in survival mode in the 4th round after Yoel landed two punches both of which visibly rocked him. 5th round not being a 10-8 is complete bullshit and everyone calls it out. Yoel was winning the round up until he dropped Whittaker, then he stays in a dominating position for the most part of it. Why Stipe gets 10-8 for simply sitting on Ngannou and Yoel doesn't when he clearly almost finishes Whittaker, who doesn't comeback to do the same on Yoel?

That 2-0 is on paper, but people saw the fights and saw how dominating Yoel was. Even Whittaker himself said he was in survival mode in the 4th round after Yoel landed two punches both of which visibly rocked him. 5th round not being a 10-8 is complete bullshit and everyone calls it out. Yoel was winning the round up until he dropped Whittaker, then he stays in a dominating position for the most part of it. Why Stipe gets 10-8 for simply sitting on Ngannou and Yoel doesn't when he clearly almost finishes Whittaker, who doesn't comeback to do the same on Yoel?
Meh. Yoel threw everything at an injured Whittaker and still it wasn't enough. Whittaker beats him 9/10 times

He's a quiet nice guy. He's a damn killer in the octagon though, his skills are highly underestimated on these boards. He beat Yoel with a serious injury in both fights.

He "beat" yoel for sure.

I don’t think he is overlooked. Most fighters would get destroyed by both Yoel and Whittaker. I guess they’d rather get beaten up over 5 rounds by Rob instead of risk getting their head taken clean off by an overhand shot or flying knee by Romero. Either way no one at 185 can beat those 2 guys right now.

Kelvin gon’ put Whittaker to sleep. Just wait.

Well he's not the best fighter in that division for one.

I'd love to hear the answer to this one...

Romero 1-2 in his last 3

Rockhold 1-2 in his last 3

Weidman 1-2 in his last 3

Jacare 1-2 in his last 3

Gastelum 2-1 in his last 3

That's the top 5. So who is better ?

Everyone fears the guy with punching power the most even if he's not the best fighter in the division.

For example, most fighters would probably prefer to face GSP rather than Lawler even if GSP is the better fighter. Because Lawler has more chances to KO you or seriously hurt you.

Same goes with Ngannou and Stipe. Stipe is the better fighter but i'm sure 99% of people would prefer to face him rather than Ngannou.

Same principle with Romero..

As tough as all of the guys who compete in MMA are, no one wants to get concussed or brain damaged. The guys with the most potential to knock you out will always be the most feared.

Stipe has as many ko wins as ngannou has total fights . I'd be more concerned about him frankly

Kelvin gon’ put Whittaker to sleep. Just wait.
If he gets KO'ed by Gastelum then Romero deserves half the credit for cracking his chin. If Whittaker survived Romero shots I don't see him having any problem surviving Kelvin. Maybe a TKO but I think Whittaker is gonna handle him

If he gets KO'ed by Gastelum then Romero deserves half the credit for cracking his chin. If Whittaker survived Romero shots I don't see him having any problem surviving Kelvin. Maybe a TKO but I think Whittaker is gonna handle him

In all seriousness I agree with everything you’ve said. I think it’s a really great matchup and we get to see two young, highly skilled fighters going at it. I hope and expect it to be a highly competitive fight and I’m stoked for the TUF they’re hosting which I believe starts tomorrow.

In all seriousness I agree with everything you’ve said. I think it’s a really great matchup and we get to see two young, highly skilled fighters going at it. I hope and expect it to be a highly competitive fight and I’m stoked for the TUF they’re hosting which I believe starts tomorrow.
I agree. Both are well rounded and I see it being a nice technical bout. Even though I was giving you shit, if Kelvin connects hard and stuns Whittaker I see him being more successful at getting the stoppage than Romero was. I was shocked at how he let Rob off the hook twice in that fight.

Have you not seen how ridiculously hard Yoel hits? That man is pure danger from opening to closing bell. That man is a walking cte delivery machine

Dude went through murderers row. So beats fucking me. Went to war twice with Romero. He's champ in my book right now.

Dude is boring and he was gifted the decision in the second fight. Yoel won that fight.

Back