Why does Whittaker get over looked?

He is pretty fun to watch. We miss out on a ton of reaper madness because he always gets injured. Fights 2 times max a year because he is always nursing some nasty injury. It is always something different to. Broken hands. Fucked up knees. Strange staph infections in his gut. Just plain old badluck i guess. Other then counting on him getting injured every single fight and camp. I think hes great. Last fight was a war. Granted it was a war he paid for deerly with two broken hands. Division is also kinda bland nowadays. Lots of older guys on the end of their careers. It is a strange division to really route for. A few up and comers like Costa but it needs more fresh blood.

Family guys who dont say much will always be overlooked plus out of sight out of mind

Other fighters seem to shout out Yoel as a beast and the fighter they'd least like to fight, guys like Woodly saying he would want nothing to do with him, just watched an interview with Till and he says he's glad Yoel is moving up a weight because he doesn't want to fight him because he's a fucking beast... No one ever seems to mention Whittaker, even though he fought and beat Yoel twice, is unbeaten at 185, took out Jacare too at a point people where avoiding him.

Why is he not seen as a beast and the top dog?
Here's an extreme example:-
Jake Shield is a light years better fighter than Melvin Manhof it's not even funny(both in skills and accomplishments), so losing to Shields is a lot more likely for anyone, even though Melvin is considered by most to be the hardest punching MMA fighter p4p in history.
However, a KO from Manhoef could end ur career, while u could easily bounce back from a RNC from shields.

First thing Bobby knuckles said in the post fight interview was "i hurt my hands punching him, he's made out of steel". Let that marinate for a second.

I think the problem with Whittaker is he just does not look scary. Even when he tries to look scary, he just doesn't.
rob-whittaker_1f072pvqnvhiw1nes76zu45gc6.png

Well he's not the best fighter in that division for one.

It’s between him and Romero at the moment. One guy may be better so that means we should completely overlook everything he’s done. All of a sudden everybody in the division is better than him. I really dislike this mindset so many mma fans have.

whittaker is an absolute fucking beast, i love the guy.

doesn't get enough praise for beating yoel on 1 good leg, then with 1 good hand. if yoel couldn't do it then i'm not sure who can, i just don't see anyone else beating him right now, i just hope the injuries n shit don't fuck with his career.

close fights aren't always robberies you fuckin dorks.

He hasn't had that statement win as champ. He pretty much just survived 10 rnds with Romero. I scored both those fights for Romero.

Also got starched by boring wonderboy.

Because as talented as Whittaker is, he's less likely to give you brain damage or one shot KO you.

Not that hard to understand.

is he really though? Whittaker beat the breaks off Jacare while Yoel struggled after gassing in the first.

Whittaker wrecked Derek Brunson, while Yoel struggled even with Brunson's wrestling until Brunson finally gassed and Yoel took over.

Whittaker knocked Tavares into the shadowrealm while Yoel had to settle for a unanimous decision.

the guys that Yoel did KO, i'm sure Whittaker would KO too if given the chance.

Weidman is a slower shittier version of Yoel with a better ground control probably get eaten up by Whittaker's speed and relentless attack.

Rockhold, do i even have to state it? he has a glass chin and Whittaker would smash it with Luke using that stiff straight up stance.

I used to like him but if I'm being honest he seems like a bit of a wiener now. All I ever see about him is him repeatedly talking shit about people missing weight, and who he doesn't want to fight. Definitely not getting the "i'm a warrior, i'll fight anyone" vibe from him any more. I knew he was going down this road after the Romero fight, when Romero said he would fight Whittaker 10 more times if that was what the fans wanted, and Whittaker said something like "ummmmm i dunno we'll see... i gotta talk to my team and decide what rhe best thing is for me going forward blah blah"

I don't like that shit. He seemed legit scared of facing Romero again and is relying on this weight missing (0.2 lbs) as his pretext. Bitch move. Not that I think he has to fight Romero or anything, not really a big fan of trilogies... but he definitely seems like he's settling in to the cherry picking opponents phase of his career.

I don’t think he is overlooked. Most fighters would get destroyed by both Yoel and Whittaker. I guess they’d rather get beaten up over 5 rounds by Rob instead of risk getting their head taken clean off by an overhand shot or flying knee by Romero. Either way no one at 185 can beat those 2 guys right now.

Whitaker got his ass beat vs Romero and was gifted a decision since Romero wasn’t eligible for the belt= fake champ

Someone mentioned it itt, but compared to Anderson he isn't as impressive.

Could be Larry Holmes syndrome, where you had an amazing champ with surreal skills and aura in Ali(Silva) and the heir to the throne was Holmes(Whittaker). Whittaker never fought Silva, so not a perfect comparison, but you get the idea.

He also doesn't talk trash, isn't controversial in anyway and his style isn't boring, but not terribly exciting either.

Because he almost died fighting Romero?

Whittaker won’t reach the same heights that the MW GOAT did.

Whittaker is a great fighter, I just think Mousasi would beat him.

He's a quiet nice guy. He's a damn killer in the octagon though, his skills are highly underestimated on these boards. He beat Yoel with a serious injury in both fights.

Yea but he suffered the injury in the fights. That is like saying Frankie Edgar beat Maynard with a concussion even tho Maynard caused the concussion.

He hasn't had that statement win as champ. He pretty much just survived 10 rnds with Romero. I scored both those fights for Romero.

Also got starched by boring wonderboy.

The second is arguably contentious but if you scored both fights for Romero you need to understand MMA better. Whittaker clearly took the first one, and I'm biased cos he's one of my favourite fighters but I think he did enough to win the second fight as well. People are acting like teh second fight was a one sided beatdown it really wasnt.

Back