Why does UFC rarely have a replacement on hand when a fighter drops out?

Straightcross

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Especially with someone like Cain who is notoriously injury prone.

Every time someone from team AKA fights they should have a replacement available

Good question. I've always wondered why they can't afford to pay a back up to stay ready. Kinda like how NFL teams have back up QB's

because that costs money mane.

UFC is cheap as hell lol
That's gotta be the only reason. They'd rather just gamble that the fighters don't get injured. Makes sense coming from a Vegas based company with a gambling addict for a president.

Especially with someone like Cain who is notoriously injury prone.

Every time someone from team AKA fights they should have a replacement available
Good question. I've always wondered why they can't afford to pay a back up to stay ready. Kinda like how NFL teams have back up QB's
Name someone who doesn't have another fight, is uninjured, or otherwise pre-disposed to replace Velasquez.

Then if Velasquez drops out, are you willing to pay Werdum extra to face a new opponent. Werdum has been preparing for a wrestler for a month or so. Now all of a sudden he is facing a boxer. Doesn't seem fair. And if I was his manager I would never let him sign to face a new opponent without a higher number before the decimal.

The NFL doesn't do that. The Broncos aren't all of a sudden playing the Bucs.

I might be mistaken but fighters don't make money during training. So the fighters would have to train, using their own money, on the off chance that a fighter falls out.

people would rather focus on their own careers than be training to step in if someone happens to get injured

replacements for headliner fights need to be solid name fighters, which cost a lot of money and more than that, costs the replacement fighter's time where he/she cannot be scheduled to fight someone else.

The money would create issues as the replacement would need show money at least to pay for camp (many are losing dough). At the top the UFC won't pay and at the bottom no fighter would risk taking a camp for so little cash and and little exposure.

Name someone who doesn't have another fight, is uninjured, or otherwise pre-disposed to replace Velasquez.

Then if Velasquez drops out, are you willing to pay Werdum extra to face a new opponent. Werdum has been preparing for a wrestler for a month or so. Now all of a sudden he is facing a boxer. Doesn't seem fair. And if I was his manager I would never let him sign to face a new opponent without a higher number before the decimal.

The NFL doesn't do that. The Broncos aren't all of a sudden playing the Bucs.
I don't keep track of whether or not every fighter is booked. I doubt they are all booked & I don't care enough to research it.

The UFC should be prepared ahead of time. They should pay a back up to stay ready. If they're not a similar opponent, tough shit. Plenty of fighters take short notice fights regardless of style match up. They should let both fighters know ahead of time who the replacement is.

And your NFL analogy is off base. If the Packers are about to play the Lions & Rodgers gets injured a day before the game & then the Packers bring in Mike Vick as a replacement, do you think the Lions can turn down the game?

I don't keep track of whether or not every fighter is booked. I doubt they are all booked & I don't care enough to research it.

The UFC should be prepared ahead of time. They should pay a back up to stay ready. If they're not a similar opponent, tough shit. Plenty of fighters take short notice fights regardless of style match up. They should let both fighters know ahead of time who the replacement is.

And your NFL analogy is off base. If the Packers are about to play the Lions & Rodgers gets injured a day before the game & then the Packers bring in Mike Vick as a replacement, do you think Lions can turn down he game?
The NFL analogy is on point. Because the quarterback may change but the team doesn't. Each team knows the rosters of their opponents. So they still know who they are playing.

So many variables you aren't considering.

How many backups?
Who should backup who?
Which cards are should there be a backup?
What if the backup is injured?
Does the backup still get paid if he/she is injured?
Is it economically viable to have backups for each card?
Are there backups for only the main event?
We have Rothwell as a backup for Velasquez but we need Rothwell to fight Hunt on next weeks card. Who is going to be the back up now? Do we go without one?

But more importantly, no fighter should ever face a short notice opponent without being paid more. First rule of fight club.

Last edited:
The NFL analogy is on point. Because the quarterback may change but the team doesn't. Each team knows the rosters of their opponents. So they still know who they are playing.

So many variables you aren't considering.

How many backups?
Who should backup who?
Which cards are should there be a backup?
What if the backup is injured?
Does the backup still get paid if he/she is injured?
Is it economically viable to have backups for each card?
Are there backups for only the main event?
We have Rothwell as a backup for Velasquez but we need Rothwell to fight Hunt on next weeks card. Who is going to be the back up now? Do we go without one?

But more importantly, no fighter should ever face a short notice opponent without being paid more. First rule of fight club.
Like I said, you tell the fighters ahead of time who the replacement is, so it isn't a surprise. And if Cain is fighting, they should try to always have a wrestler ready for a replacement.

They can pay one back up stay ready

Every main event should have a back up.

PPV co main events should have back ups

Real fighters take fights on short notice, regardless of the circumstance. It's happens often.

You're overthinking this whole thing. Can't tell if you're serious or if you're just looking to argue.

Like I said, you tell the fighters ahead of time who the replacement, so it isn't a surprise. And if Cain is fighting, they might as try to always have a wrestler ready for a replacement.

They can pay one back up stay ready

Every main event should have a back up.

PPV co main events should have back ups

Real fighters take fights on short notice, regardless of the circumstance. It's happens often.

You're overthinking this whole thing. Can't tell if you're serious or if you're just looking to argue.
Maybe I am overthinking it for a discussion on a message board. But in real life practice, those questions and many more would need to be addressed.

For example, "They can pay one back up stay ready"
  • How much are they paying this person?
  • Is it the same amount as he would recieve normally?
  • If not, why should he agree to be a backup?
  • If yes, does he still get paid if he doesn't fight?
  • What if he wanted a fight of his own? Now he is tied up being someone's backup and risk being overtrained to face his own opponent.

And they are professional athletes not "real fighters". They are a business. And they need to treat themselves as such. Trying to be "real fighters" for goofballs on the internet doesn't pay the mortgage.

Maybe I am overthinking it for a discussion on a message board. But in real life practice, those questions and many more would need to be addressed.

For example, "They can pay one back up stay ready"
  • How much are they paying this person?
  • Is it the same amount as he would recieve normally?
  • If not, why should he agree to be a backup?
  • If yes, does he still get paid if he doesn't fight?
  • What if he wanted a fight of his own? Now he is tied up being someone's backup and risk being overtrained to face his own opponent.

And they are professional athletes not "real fighters". They are a business. And they need to treat themselves as such. Trying to be "real fighters" for goofballs on the internet doesn't pay the mortgage.
Let's say you plan a Vegas trip to see your first UFC event. Then a main event fighters pulls out & the card is scrapped. I'm sure anyone normal person will wonder why the UFC couldn't bring in a replacement to keep the card alive.

Having a replacement fighter ready is definitely possible & I think the UFC will start operating that way soon. Too much money is at stake. I'm sure once the fighters unionize & the UFC has to give up some revenue, the UFC will demand that fighters save cards.

Once again you're acting like having a replacement ready is a lot more complicated than it is. Fighters have gotten themselves ready to be replacements on their own, let alone actually be paid to do so.

Let's say you plan a Vegas trip to see your first UFC event. Then a main event fighters pulls out & the card is scrapped. I'm sure anyone normal person will wonder why the UFC couldn't bring in a replacement to keep the card alive.

Having a replacement fighter ready is definitely possible & I think the UFC will start operating that way soon. Too much money is at stake. I'm sure once the fighters unionize & the UFC has to give up some revenue, the UFC will demand that fighters save cards.

Once again you're acting like having a replacement ready is a lot more complicated than it is. Fighters have gotten themselves ready to be replacements on their own, let alone actually be paid to do so.
If you are a consumer, it says on the ticket: card subject to change.

I'm saying it is not as easy as you make it out to be. You are forgetting many variables that would make it impractical to have a reasonable replacement.

Assume there was a replacement for Nunes or Rousey for 207.
  • Who would it be?
  • How much would she be paid?
  • Is she flown out to Vegas in case any Renan Barao last minute shenanigans happen?
  • Is she paid regardless?
  • Is she paid title fight money?
  • Does replacing Nunes create an interim title?
Let's say Pena is the replacement. That would mean she isn't main eventing against Shevchenko next month because they can't be signed to two fights at once. So that would be a FOX card that would need a new main event. And so on.

Wouldn't cost them much to have a replacement on deck. Just pay someone 5 grand to be ready and available on that weekend and that fighter can go about their usual life and training, while making a few adjustments to prepare a little bit for each fighter he might face, while keeping his weight down. The UFC is still bush league when it comes to some things and this is one of them.

How would that work? They would have someone train for a month or two just in case, and then usually nothing would happen?

Would they cover the training costs for everyone who did that?

How would that work? They would have someone train for a month or two just in case, and then usually nothing would happen?

Would they cover the training costs for everyone who did that?

That would still fuk the guy who didn't pull out. What if Werdum was training heavily on his wrestling and takedown defense this whole entire time. Then Cain pulls out and is replaced with JDS, who has been training to fight Werdum on the side lines this entire time? It's pretty much punishing the guy for showing up.

Wouldn't cost them much to have a replacement on deck. Just pay someone 5 grand to be ready and available on that weekend and that fighter can go about their usual life and training, while making a few adjustments to prepare a little bit for each fighter he might face, while keeping his weight down. The UFC is still bush league when it comes to some things and this is one of them.
$5,000? Did you pick that out of the air?

That doesn't even cover the cost of the camp.

Back