Why does the UFC want Cain to be champ again? - What's the benefit to them?

Cain fucked everything up. First he beats the UFC's best draw Brock Lesnar, and ruins his career after knocking out a seemingly great stylistic match up for Lesnar (a fading Big Nog), then took that title he won and didn't fight until his shoulder felt better, then on the most viewed UFC fight of all time he couldn't stay awake for more then 64 seconds, and then destroyed JDS in the rematch, then destroys him again, clogging the division from growing for like 2 years, then gets injured again holding up the division longer, then the UFC puts everything on him going to Mexico, he spent his whole career talking about Brown Pride, then shows up, can't breath and gets choked out and ruined the UFC's "Cardio Cain" marketing in the process.

So in his time in the UFC he has ruined:
Brock Lesnar Cash Cow
First FOX fight
Junior Dos Santos Contender-ship
The Momentum of the Heavyweight Division
And UFC's hopes for big things in Mexico

Basically.

And Lesnar's diverticulitis knocked him out of the UFC championship as much as Cain did. He was never the same after that.

You must have forgotten that Tim has the most Heavyweight title defenses in UFC history. He couldn't possibly be the worst champion of all time with literally the one thing that defines a great champion.

Your right about the title defenses, he wasn't the worst champ as far as record goes, but who'd he beat again? Not exactly stellar competition. During his title reign all the best HW's were in Japan fighting for Pride. I was saying I didn't like him personally, sorry if I didn't make that clear. But I was talking more about his drawing power, charisma. Nobody like him, and mostly just talked about he sh!t himself against Assuerio Silva. Except his 2 AA defeats he beat no one of substance. I mean he lost to Ray Mercer for Christ's sake!!! RAY MERCER!!! In Ray Mercer's only MMA fight. UGH!!! Need I say more? I'm still trying to figure out how he beat AA twice. AA is/was a smarter fighter & a much more superior athlete.

Cain fucked everything up. First he beats the UFC's best draw Brock Lesnar, and ruins his career after knocking out a seemingly great stylistic match up for Lesnar (a fading Big Nog), then took that title he won and didn't fight until his shoulder felt better, then on the most viewed UFC fight of all time he couldn't stay awake for more then 64 seconds, and then destroyed JDS in the rematch, then destroys him again, clogging the division from growing for like 2 years, then gets injured again holding up the division longer, then the UFC puts everything on him going to Mexico, he spent his whole career talking about Brown Pride, then shows up, can't breath and gets choked out and ruined the UFC's "Cardio Cain" marketing in the process.

Brock Lesnar Cash Cow
First FOX fight

This is a great recap.

And it all brings me to my point, that they made this fight because it's what's fair and what jives with their overall matchmaking policy. They don't necessarily want or need him to be champ, but time after time when an established dominant champion gets beat, he gets an immediate rematch...you have to beat these guys twice. Especially when there is no other obvious contender that should get the shot.

Alright you guys have swayed my opinion a bit here. Maybe Cain hasn't been great for the division. But he must be making the UFC money or he wouldn't be getting this title shot.

This is a great recap.

And it all brings me to my point, that they made this fight because it's what's fair and what jives with their overall matchmaking policy. They don't necessarily want or need him to be champ, but time after time when an established dominant champion gets beat, he gets an immediate rematch...you have to beat these guys twice. Especially when there is no other obvious contender that should get the shot.

Dominant champ? He fought the same 2 guys 5 times and when he finally fought a different guy he lost.

Not exactly a GSP, Matt Hughes, or Anderson Silva like title defense run.

As the headline states, why does the UFC want Cain to be HW champ again? What's the benefit to the UFC?

Cain was a horrible champ:

- He was continually injured and couldn't fight for so long that an interim champ had to be crowned.

- He wasn't popular. He isn't pulling fans like Rousey or Lesnar did. He just didn't have much of a personality.

- He disagrees with the boss....when the boss is right. Dana White stated that the reason Cain keeps getting injured is because of his not intelligent workouts which have proven to be dangerous and obviously costly to Cain and the UFC. Dana told Cain he needs to stop these stupid workouts if he wants to stay healthy, Cain said he'll continue to do them.

- Cain lost when Dana was counting on him to win.

Dana wanted Cain to crush JUNIOR DOS SANTOS at the 1st Fox fight. Cain quickly lost and was embarrassed.

Dana wanted Cain to win big in front of the Mexican fans in his first fight with Werdum. Cain was embarrassed again and submitted.

- Cain only fought the same 2 fighters for all of his title defenses, and when he fought someone different, he lost.

Sorry, you can only fight Bigfoot and JUNIOR DOS SANTOS about 1,000 times before people will stop watching you fight.

I have no doubt that a healthy Cain with no ring rust and not at a high altitude will quickly dispatch Werdum within 3 rounds in their rematch.

I believe that Dana knows that also and wants Cain to be champ again.

Why the hell would Dana want Cain to be champ again?????

Werdum is all of the things that Cain isn't.

FIXED this for you

Dana doesn't need Werdum because UFC has no issues with the Brazilian market. He really wants that Cain "Brown Pride" Velasquez to get a better footing into the Mexican fan base.

What he really needs to do is just be happy with a healthy HW Champion and put more interesting fights together. I am really against this Mir vs. Arlovski fight. I think Arlovski should be facing Cain and winner get Werdum.

Cain was the WORST HW champ EVER?!!! REALLY!!!

People must forget Tim Sylvia. Not that he was a bad guy & I'm not sure why, but I just hated Tim Sylvia & when he beat Arlovski in their 2nd match I was so disappointed!!! I've always loved Arlovski and definitely would love to see him get another HW title shot/run! But back to Cain, admittedly he's not thee most charismatic cat around but he's a good guy & except for the Werdum loss, he's been a beast (loss to JDS was just a crazy once in a career loss, also see GSP vs. Serra) I don't know, I just think Cain is better as champ then Werdum! That being said, WAR ARLOVSKI!!!

I disagree that it was a once in a career loss. Cain's very hittable on the feet especially compared to GSP. He's sloppy in his take downs as well as compared to GSP but he's tenacious. He's got cardio most HWs don't have. He's not this unstoppable force like GSP was though.

Your right about the title defenses, he wasn't the worst champ as far as record goes, but who'd he beat again? Not exactly stellar competition. During his title reign all the best HW's were in Japan fighting for Pride. I was saying I didn't like him personally, sorry if I didn't make that clear. But I was talking more about his drawing power, charisma. Nobody like him, and mostly just talked about he sh!t himself against Assuerio Silva. Except his 2 AA defeats he beat no one of substance. I mean he lost to Ray Mercer for Christ's sake!!! RAY MERCER!!! In Ray Mercer's only MMA fight. UGH!!! Need I say more? I'm still trying to figure out how he beat AA twice. AA is/was a smarter fighter & a much more superior athlete.

Sylvia when he was younger was a force man whether you liked him or not. Whether you thought Pride was better than the UFC isn't important in the slightest. It's been proven that both divisions had good fighters. Yes his only impressive wins as champ were Arlovski twice but that was extremely impressive. Not to mention in order to get the belt he completely smashed 14-1 Ricco Rodriguez who had wins over Arlovski and Couture at the time.

FIXED this for you

Dana doesn't need Werdum because UFC has no issues with the Brazilian market. He really wants that Cain "Brown Pride" Velasquez to get a better footing into the Mexican fan base.

What he really needs to do is just be happy with a healthy HW Champion and put more interesting fights together. I am really against this Mir vs. Arlovski fight. I think Arlovski should be facing Cain and winner get Werdum.

This.
Mexico is the answer here...
For some reason, UFC is fixated in the idea that Mexico will only do good if he can push Cain as a champ.

Cain is an awsome HW but you're right he is indeed a shit CHAMPION

I disagree that it was a once in a career loss. Cain's very hittable on the feet especially compared to GSP. He's sloppy in his take downs as well as compared to GSP but he's tenacious. He's got cardio most HWs don't have. He's not this unstoppable force like GSP was though.

Yep.

Cain usually finishes guys when they are tired. Look at Rothwell. And I'm not talking about a past his prime Nog or overrated BF.

Brock Lesnar Cash Cow
First FOX fight

lol wait wait...I don't even know how to go about this but i'll give it a shot. So you are saying Cain is a horrible Champion and horrible HW for the UFC to have around because...

- He dominated a fighter who was fast tracked to the top by the UFC and could not handle things the moment the competition got elite? Its Cain's fault he was too good for a UFC cash cow?

- He brought in a huge draw to cable television as the Champion, and got caught by lightning in a fist, from a tremendously talented Fighter who should not have been considered by anyone as an easy win for Cain. But i'm sure it was Cain's intention to go in there and have a cat nap a minute into the fight.

- He avenged his loss in dominant performances, twice, both times the fights being incredibly entertaining to watch. But i'm sure its bad for the UFC when your champion puts on a clinic in a fight of the night type performance. I'm sure we should blame Cain for making it obvious to everyone that JDS does not have the tools to beat him at this point. Contendership is earned, not given or assumed, JDS only has himself to blame for losing contendership status, no one else.

- He is injured alot, that is an obvious one, and no one can deny his injuries hampered certain things. But at the end of the day, he is one man, and the Division's pieces can still be shuffled around without him. Those deserving of facing him will continue to win while they wait for him and those not will lose before they ever get an undeserved crack at him. Mexico doesn't need Cain as champion to go watch good fights, Canada doesn't have a superstar champion anymore, watch and see if the gate numbers are horrible next time they bring a card there, i'm guessing not. MMA fans, regardless of country will show up and tune in for good fight cards, and if for some reason they don't, they weren't worth the investment anyway, regardless of who is Champion.

Brock Lesnar Cash Cow
First FOX fight

Could not have said it better myself.

I suppose he's the bigger name for destroying Brock Lesnar.

Dana wants the mexican money, like they have in boxing, pure and simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back