Why does the UFC put fighters coming off losses on main events ?

MMAFAN2

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
There is no hype around the fights because there is no hype on the fighters,how do you expect to sell your main event fights when both fighters (not only one of them) are coming off losses and even on a losing streak ?
Lawler vs Woodley
Smith vs Gustafsson
RDA Vs Lee
Moicano vs Korean Zombie
Wonderboy vs Pettis
Masvidal vs Till
don't get me wrong,the fights may deliver but they aren't that important.none of them is gonna fight for a title again (maybe masvidal but that wasn't expected before the fight and i think he is gonna lose against askren)
they are just fun fights.

Last edited:
Tere's still name value, especially if it's a former champion.

I'd hate to say it, but if Conor McGregor were to fight tomorrow, he's be the main event.

Conor deserves Co-main at best if there's no title on the line.

It's the WME era bro, social media followers matter more than winning fights remember?

It's really bad in this situation with Gus vs
Smith because not only are they both coming off losses, but they both had very uninspiring, pathetic performances in those losses

True TS, but still famous and can sell.

Tere's still name value, especially if it's a former champion.

I'd hate to say it, but if Conor McGregor were to fight tomorrow, he's be the main event.

main event of a fight night. he not a main event of a ppv with a title fight on it.

that how conor used as a way to duck cowboy at ufc 239.

I dont really care if a fighter lost his last fight and is getting a Main Event Spot...if he is on a 3 fight losing streak, it depends on how he delivered in those...

Also not a friend of only winner vs winner fights and looser vs looser fights...robs you of a lot great matches...

Conor deserves Co-main at best if there's no title on the line.

Deserves got nothing to do with it, you'd be crazy if you think Conor coming back for a fight would not be the main event. And UFC would be morons to even attempt to push Conor into the comain slot.

This is idiotic. You don't just stop watching a fighter because they lost one fight. You don't stop watching your football(basketball, baseball, hockey, etc. Etc.) team because they lost one game. Stop being dumb, it cost nothing to not be dumb.

Deserves got nothing to do with it, you'd be crazy if you think Conor coming back for a fight would not be the main event. And UFC would be morons to even attempt to push Conor into the comain slot.

He headlines a Fight Night if anything.

You can't put a non-title above a title match . That would be silly, and even Conor knows that.

What may happen is a PPV for a contender fight for the belt. They do a 5 rounder with Cerrone or Ferguson to get the winner of Khabib/Poirier

The co-main on that card would also be a contender match for another belt. Let's say Walker vs Reyes.

I'm sure whatever they do Conor gets PPV so he'll be happy. But come on, the guy is running on 2 losses and will have a tough time being any top 5 LW.

They do this in boxing. Like, if Floyd was to ever lose, what—you put him on the undercard?

Actually, they do this in basically every sport, kinda. Just because you lose doesn’t mean you’re not worthy of a main event lol

WME doesn't trust in the entertainment value of it's own product (UFC) and so feels it needs to massively intervene in the fighter selection and fight matchup to tweek what it feels is more entertaining.

Let the fighters fight and base your matchup on actual fight results. Have confidence that the entertainment comes from having the "best fighting the best", whatever their style may be.

They do this in boxing. Like, if Floyd was to ever lose, what—you put him on the undercard?

Actually, they do this in basically every sport, kinda. Just because you lose doesn’t mean you’re not worthy of a main event lol
Boxing cards are set up a bit differently

Plus Floyd could fight in so many divisions that if needed they could just slap an alphabet title holder on him for a rebound opponent and it'd still headline any card...ppv is the real shit in boxing, if you're not ppv you haven't made it to the big leagues....and select few ever get there

If Floyd has a loss he's not the ppv draw. Headlining any FNF or whatever was just a springboard for ppv....part of his draw was people wanted to see him beat

Back