Why does the UFC hate Rory?

The guy's boring as hell to me 😮
Just does enough to win.

If his opponent makes a mistake like Tarec did he will capitalize sure. But still i don't enjoy watching him fight.

I'm pretty sure that's why the ufc's not really interested in seeing him fight.

At one point he read the great Canadian hope 😎

He's not a company man.
I think He's getting punished for several reasons: refusing to fight Gsp even for a TS. He pulled out several times for injury. He even said that he would have let his arm be broken rather than tap out at Metamoris. He's not very marketable. He used to have an explosive and entertaining style but since Ellenberger, his style has become more defensive. He doesn't trash talk to hype fights and he doesn't play the Canadian psycho angle enough.

Saying the UFC "hates" Rory is a bit conspiracy-theory-ish...but I`m sure they are not looking forward to marketing him if he ever does become champ. "Watch the master of the defensive jab, Rory Red King MacDonald in action this weekend..."

Jarl

I can't see how marketing Rory is much worse than marketing Hendricks who has become a decision machine and uses the fellatio defense during the late rounds.

After Hogan's podcast I actually like him.

Just not as an entertaining fighter. He should go the Cerrone way.

Benson? The guy who got KTFO by a journeyman? lol

Rory is not what people built him up to be.. They were calling him the next GSP like 3 years ago including GSP.. Rogan even said he would be better than GSP. He is good but I don't see true greatness in him.. Something is missing..

When Rogan and GSP are speaking of Rory's talent they are addressing his raw talent and ability to learn, adapt, and apply it to MMA.

When fans are speaking of Rory's talent they are thinking about exciting action packed fighting that include big finishes. Conor fits this description much more than Rory does.

Rory, Conor, and I will include Anthony Pettis in this as well, are all fighters that have big futures with MMA if they can remain healthy (Pettis is obviously the most injury prone) while continuing to get better.

Rory is happy and content at Tristar. It will most likely lead to a Championship for him, but I do believe it could be to his detriment as far as style development goes. I honestly believe Rory would be a very different style of fighter, albeit still awkward, if he were to train elsewhere. His instincts are to finish but his training is to play percentages and ultimately point fight.

Just like in professional pool; some players go for the low percentage shots and when they win it looks amazing, when they lose it goes unnoticed. Other players play safe relying on the percentages to work in their favor. Few people enjoy watching videos of safety shots. The best players do both very well without leaning on too much of one or the other.

I am hoping that Rory's finish on Tarec Saffiedine will be a catalyst for his instinct to pursue the finishes a bit more. I don't want to see Rory get reckless, but I do want to see him open up when he hurts someone.

Defeating Maia, Woodley and Saffiediene = title shot worthy?

I don't know. Depends on who you ask.

Do I want to see him fight for the belt against someone he lost to? Why not? I like redemption fights. I'd root for Rory against Lawler.

Hendricks was 1-2 in three fights and getting his fourth title fight in a row fucking over Rory before the fans told Dana exactly what they thought of this shit.

The guy's boring as hell to me 😮
Just does enough to win.

If his opponent makes a mistake like Tarec did he will capitalize sure. But still i don't enjoy watching him fight.

I'm pretty sure that's why the ufc's not really interested in seeing him fight.

At one point he read the great Canadian hope 😎

Agreed

iC1iOyd7ls4OR.gif

lol

My guess would be his fighting style. I actually like him as a fighter.

iAgI2r06bNLoa.gif

Boring Fighter...... So glad Lawler took him out. The way Rory tried to stall his way to a title shot was Turrrrrible.

Last edited:
all this just highlights how inconsistent the UFC has become. let's be honest - it is not like there was some golden age of MMA where matching making was driven by purely competitive reasons. but at least I felt like the UFC was trying to do the right thing. PRIDE had odd circus fights and Japanese challengers but you also knew that the top contender would get the next fight and the GP's were great.

now... Dana just looks like a guy who is in over his head and trying to make up things as he goes along. since he spends a lot of his time with a microphone in his mouth, that doesn't leave him looking good.

I don't buy this "Hendricks didn't want to wait until the next title shot". I don't know what is going on.

I don't think that Rory has a 100% claim on the next title shot. But if he got it right now it would be fair. If he gets it after beating Hector (if) then it should be hard to deny him the title fight

Rory does probably deserve a shot, especially if he beats Lombard.

He is weird though, not particularly exciting, has a loss to the champ and the GSP thing is hovering.

If he gets by Lombard I struggle to see how they can fob him off though.

Was Lawler beating Ellenberger and Brown enough to warrant him getting another shot?

Brown was on a huge streak, 7 wins. That is the only defensible thing about Brown. Ellenberger is taking a nosedive these days but beating the practical #1 contender in Brown is a justifiable leap to title contention which Lawler did go on to win.

Yes, that earns a title shot in the WW division, especially if the only recent loss was at the hands of the champ.

Just says a lot about the WW picture right now... if anything. I have enjoyed Rory for a while, even posted a pic of myself with him on this forum and enjoyed a good few shoops but I laugh at the idea that he "deserves" a shot after beating those 3. He could beat Lawler, though. He is a smart fighter.

Hendricks was 1-2 in three fights and getting his fourth title fight in a row fucking over Rory before the fans told Dana exactly what they thought of this shit.

1 of those losses was deemed a win to many people but on the other hand many thought he lost his fight against Lawler. Now he had a tough rematch with Lawler and lost. Thankfully the UFC realized that most fans do not want a rematch and dropped it. Johnny getting title shots was pretty much due to the Frankie Edgar-esque closeness of fights.

I still don't feel that Rory's opponents were impressive enough to warrant a title shot but he did good against Woodley and Saffi

Rory should get the next shot, without question.

Giving GSP a few more months to decide if he's coming back. Rory and/GSP won't fight so they'd obviously want GSP trying to reclaim his title

Really should of had a shot years ago, but circumstances happen and other people get the shot or somebody gets injured list goes on

Now, finally, with a win over Lombard (not an easy task) it'll be a for sure thing.

Would not be surprised if something else came up, though.

Back