1. Walt Harris' daughter is missing around Auburn, Alabama. Please read this thread for more information.

Why does the left hate the new Joker?

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Lando, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Samjj

Samjj Blue Belt

Pheonix's performance was amazing. If it had come out when occupy wall street was hot, it would've been film of the century. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if a few incels in the next coming years throw on some face paint and let off a few rounds somewhere...

2. deviake

deviake liberal top team

Shallow as in it isn't anything but I well acted character piece. There's not much meat on the bone, Phoenix's great acting carries it really hard. It's not clever in any way nor interesting outside of his performance. And yeah, the Joker needs to be very smart and capable, a good character buildup shows potential, this didn't. Just a mentally ill dude who snaps.

People have been trying to blame entertainment for real life violence for a long time, putting the cart before the horse (Trump did this with video games recently). It seems like it used to be conservatives and soft middle class parents who did it more, meow more liberals have joined them in being reactionary. It's good for business I guess. The movie didn't seem to be glorifying his actions to me, the closest it came was his speech on De Niro's show. It painted him in a somewhat sympathetic light (which annoyed me but not for political reasons) but really didn't do the things I saw some people accusing it of. I can see where they drew some real world inspiration from but like I said, it didn't seem like a glorification to me.

No, not at all, nothing clever happens in the movie. And no, I don't, he didn't show himself to be terribly capable or intelligent. He'd also literally be a senior citizen by the time Batman even graduated high school.

3. legatoblues

legatoblues Green Belt

Anecdote time: two of my hard left friends (vegan, sea shepherd volunteers etc) loved the film.

/cool story Hansel

4. DM1982

DM1982 Brown Belt

Then you clearly dont understand the film, and are a pretty simple guy. You dont understand someone's capacity to learn a new skill?

Have you seen Cape fear; where Di Nero played an illiterate reprobate that learned to read, write and all about law in prison, was released and waged a fear campaign on his incompetent attorneys family?

It's not a superhero movie.

It's a character study, that exists in a world with different rules from a superhero movie. Hence, requires different analysis.

Did nothing clever? What like attach a load of hand grenades to his jacket so he could self destruct at any moment with the pull of a string? Doight!

He executed a famous talk show host on live television with a point blank gunshot. He truly was Joker after that moment.

You're a dolt. Stick to cartoons this was a film for adults.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    Wingslaught and BjPenn2017 like this.
  5. Steve Rogers

Steve Rogers Mistress Kate's slave

It's not actually a superhero film, though, is it? I mean, yes, it's based on a superhero comic book, but there's no superhero in it. Yes, Bruce Wayne is in it but he's, what, 8/9/10 years old? That hardly qualifies Joker as a superhero film. A comic book film, yes, but not a superhero film.

Say Joker is meant to be about the same age Joaquin Phoenix actually is so say about 45. Isn't retirement age in the States about 65? Bruce is hardly 20 years from his high school graduation, not unless he doesn't graduate until he's 28-30. Hardly make for a great Batman, would he, if he can't graduate high school until he's 30?

I'm using the word hardly a lot today.

6. Oeshon

Oeshon ช่างมันเถอะ

If I hate marvel and comic book movies, will I enjoy this?

Ornife likes this.
  7. moreorless87

moreorless87 Straba

If you expect a rather more entertainment focused version of Taxi Driver you probably won't be disappointed.

8. Dan177

Dan177 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Tbf some lines were a bit questionable but phoenix made it work well.

9. Steve-French

Steve-French What A Rush!!!

10. BjPenn2017

BjPenn2017 Red Belt

Spoilersssss still haven't seen the movie yet :mad: lol I like your analysis though you seem like you know your shit when it comes to movies

11. deviake

deviake liberal top team

Settle down, adjust your fedora and have a coke and a smile there skippy, it's just my opinion.

This film is as deep as a kiddie pool on a summer day in Arizona. Very, very, basic script. Phoenix probably hit some PRs carrying it so hard.

12. SIRGAY HARITONOB!

SIRGAY HARITONOB! RED ARMY BELT

What has been the prize for your big victories?

13. deviake

deviake liberal top team

I dunno, he looks old though, and Batman looks under 10. I don't see some barely functioning mentally ill guy becoming a criminal mastermind and executing all that stuff in his 50s or 60s. Well acted but not well developed character IMO, it kinda feels like the script was about someone else and they added the clown part & Wayne parts in and made it Joker.

I don't fault anyone for enjoying it, Phoenix did a fantastic job but the movie and character development didn't work for me.

14. Steve Rogers

Steve Rogers Mistress Kate's slave

Phoenix probably hit some what?

15. deviake

deviake liberal top team

Personal record

Steve Rogers likes this.
  16. Senzo Tanaka

Senzo Tanaka Silver Belt

I don't think it's the left that hates the Joker. It's puritan, authoritarian and stuck up movie reviewers that don't want to be associated with a dark and disturbing movie. They've always been out there. I could easily dig up articles of Roger Ebert crying about horror movies ruining society and how no one should watch them.

Here's Michael Moore's take on Joker. No hate here...

17. Bamboozled

Bamboozled Red Belt

This is OUR movie. You might go and see it with your friends, but understand the INCEL's are a part of a society. We will cheer, we will cry, we will have OUR movie and you better not act up because this is an achievement for OUR people. This movie portrays incel excellence, and its time you recognized it and stopped being bigots.

Icels rise up!