Why does the broad concept of "A Level Athletes" bother MMA fans so much?

Threetrees

He/Him
@plutonium
Reaction score
It's literally just saying some people are more athletic than others
And then people wonder if people who are super athletic would be good at MMA, where it obviously helps like all sports to be physically gifted, if they were introduced to it at a young age

<{vega}>

Was the problem

- "The King of Wit and Reason";
- beating a dead, canned, eaten, digested & eliminated horse (aka shit-stirring).

Pick one.

Which MMA fan is bothered by this idea exactly? I don't see anybody having any problem with it tbh.

Tbf, if you compete in an American sport like basketball or handegg you're a C-level athlete at best.

mma fans all like AOC and ren when a-level athletes discussion arises.

1kylbLx.jpg

Because the way it's used with respect to MMA fighters is complete nonsense. An A-level athlete is someone who has the skill and physical ability to reach the highest level of their athletic endeavor. So for basketball players, making to the NBA. Or for MMA fighters, to make it to the biggest pro organization where all the best fighters in the world compete. Therefore, everyone in the UFC is an A-level athlete, like it or not. And yes, that includes Tim Sylvia (in his prime), Derrick Lewis, Roy Nelson, etc.

Because the way it's used with respect to MMA fighters is complete nonsense. An A-level athlete is someone who has the skill and physical ability to reach the highest level of their athletic endeavor. So for basketball players, making to the NBA. Or for MMA fighters, to make it to the biggest pro organization where all the best fighters in the world compete. Therefore, everyone in the UFC is an A-level athlete, like it or not. And yes, that includes Tim Sylvia (in his prime), Derrick Lewis, Roy Nelson, etc.
No A-level heavyweight is pursuing an MMA career when it pays so little and also induces CTE.

I don't think anyone has a problem with "wondering if super athletic people would be good" as you stated. People get annoyed by the turds who definitively state that NFL/NBA players would wreck everyone for sure if MMA paid more.

There are a lot of problems with that shit argument:
-Athleticism is highly subjective without precise parameters for measurement
-MMA leans much more to the skill side of the skill vs athleticism spectrum than football (except QBs and kickers), I'd say it's about the same balance as basketball, but many of the important attributes are different
-i disagree with the general idea that skill and athleticism are separate, because I'd consider the ability to develop finesse skills to be a part of athleticism. Most people don't seem to take that into account, though
-the pay in the NFL isn't that high compared to other pro sports. Average pay in the NHL is higher ffs. Why aren't football players going into baseball and hockey instead where guys are less athletic? Any linebacker should be able to play right field or first base and hit homers, right?

Last edited:
Back