Why Does Sokoudjou have a Pathetic Record?

Pathetic is a pretty harsh word. The guy fights tough fights. To answer your question though, he was thrown in the deep end right away.

He was thrown in the deep end and haven't people said he doesn't take training 100% seriously?

He was thrown in the deep end and haven't people said he doesn't take training 100% seriously?

If simply being thrown in the deep end was the explanation he would have performed better once out of the deep end that just isn't the case.

Pathetic is a pretty harsh word. The guy fights tough fights. To answer your question though, he was thrown in the deep end right away.

1) I'd wouldn't call his recent opponents "tough."

2) He had back-to-back 1st round KO's over Little Nog and Arona, two top 10 LHWs at the time. When he came to the UFC, the oddsmakers and most people here thought he'd beat Machida, who was still relatively new and untested in the UFC. (Machida's win over Rich Franklin happened before either one of them were in the UFC). If anything, Lyoto was supposedly being thrown to the wolves in that fight.

I've talked about this on here a bunch of times (I think I even made a thread after the Rogerio KO) but the dude made a habit out of quitting in sparring. He learned his Muay Thai at a different gym before moving to Team Quest, I was training there at the time and got to watch him spar regularly. He'd straight up quit when sparring with guys who trained recreationally and never fought in their lives. I mean, these guys were still legit on the feet and everything because they'd been in there for more than a few years training but they still were a bit older, not in top shape and they weren't getting ready for fights of their own and they would still make the dude quit.

The instructor actually gave him the boot from the gym after he quit one too many times, a bit of time passed after that and he came back saying he wouldn't do it again but that didn't last long. He also lost a few ammy Muay Thai fights around this time, I got to see one of them in person. Afterwards, Soko was just hanging his head and appeared to be crying which embarrassed our coach because Bas Rutten was there watching. The coach told him to pick his head up and handle the loss like a man, he didn't. He was then kicked out of the gym for good, shortly after that he moved to Team Quest full time and then won the Rogerio and Arona fights.

edit- found my thread.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/adressing-sokoudjous-striking-ability-519270/

Last edited:
Lack of cardio, no back-up plan, and not getting the kind of cross-training he needed to elevate his game, due to being stuck at Team Quest?

I've talked about this on here a bunch of times (I think I even made a thread after the Rogerio KO) but the dude made a habit out of quitting in sparring. He learned his Muay Thai at a different gym before moving to Team Quest, I was training there at the time and got to watch him spar regularly. He'd straight up quit when sparring with guys who trained recreationally and never fought in their lives. I mean, these guys were still legit on the feet and everything because they'd been in there for more than a few years training but they still were a bit older, not in top shape and they weren't getting ready for fights of their own and they would still make the dude quit.

The instructor actually gave him the boot from the gym after he quit one too many times, a bit of time passed after that and he came back saying he wouldn't do it again but that didn't last long. He also lost a few ammy Muay Thai fights around this time, I got to see one of them in person. Afterwards, Soko was just hanging his head and appeared to be crying which embarrassed our coach because Bas Rutten was there watching. The coach told him to pick his head up and handle the loss like a man, he didn't. He was then kicked out of the gym for good, shortly after that he moved to Team Quest full time and then won the Rogerio and Arona fights.

edit- found my thread.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/adressing-sokoudjous-striking-ability-519270/

This doesn't surprise me as I swore I read someplace he kinda did the same shit at Team Quest too.

He was thrown to the wolfs and lost. That must be difficult for self esteem so i guess he kind of crumbled after that. Maybe he will have a second birth or something in Bellator, we will see. If they feed him some small fishes and mold him, maybe he can get where he belongs. People just have different peek mentally.

1) I'd wouldn't call his recent opponents "tough."

2) He had back-to-back 1st round KO's over Little Nog and Arona, two top 10 LHWs at the time. When he came to the UFC, the oddsmakers and most people here thought he'd beat Machida, who was still relatively new and untested in the UFC. (Machida's win over Rich Franklin happened before either one of them were in the UFC). If anything, Lyoto was supposedly being thrown to the wolves in that fight.

If I remember correctly Machida and Soko were both enigmas leading up to the fight. Machida had previously been unbeaten and defeated Franklin. Sokoudjou defeated Little Nogueira and Arona with his only loss being to Teixeira, but back then fans did not respect Teixeira as they do now.

The timing set up essentially another UFC vs PRIDE fight along with Forrest vs Shogun and Liddell vs Wanderlei Silva. Unless I am misremembering that's what I recall.

Back