Why Does Sokoudjou have a Pathetic Record?

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Sokoudjou has perhaps the most curious record of all fighters to me. When you watch Sokoudjou and he is on his game, he looks like he could be in there and competitive with the Top 5. But then he has losses to Ikuhisa Minowa and obscure Eastern European fighters no one has ever heard of....

Someone explain to me why the guy isn't one of the best?

And does anyone predict he will hit is peak in Bellator and possibly win a tourney?

He has absolutely no cardio and very questionable ground game. Yes that's funny considering he's a judoka but not one whose judo game translated well into MMA.
Sadly because come aspects of his game are really good and he's only 28

Sokoudjou has perhaps the most curious record of all fighters to me. When you watch Sokoudjou and he is on his game, he looks like he could be in there and competitive with the Top 5. But then he has losses to Ikuhisa Minowa and obscure Eastern European fighters no one has ever heard of....

Someone explain to me why the guy isn't one of the best?

And does anyone predict he will hit is peak in Bellator and possibly win a tourney?

Sokudjou's peak came and went. He won a couple of flash KO wins against top 10 guys 7 years ago and has been riding it ever since. The guy isn't terrible but he is and always will be a journeyman. If ever pushed he gasses after a round and he doesn't seem to take punishment well.

Sokudjou's peak came and went. He won a couple of flash KO wins against top 10 guys 7 years ago and has been riding it ever since. The guy isn't terrible but he is and always will be a journeyman. If ever pushed he gasses after a round and he doesn't seem to take punishment well.

this is it. every fighter faces adversity in almost every fight. some fighters can have a lot of physical gifts but will fall under the pressure. the weaker fighters will be weeded out on the way to the top. in his defense, I think some of the recent losses were to underrated/overlooked fighters. but it's not like he's an exceptional fighter, himself.

to be truly elite, you need versatility. sokodjou doesn't have a strong offensive submission game; if he was truly a beast, he would've found a way to tap out Houston alexander. Houston is a tough athlete to handle, but a top fighter would've tamed the athlete and found those gaping holes.

sokudjou made his name with two huge wins compounded together within 2 months, and at the time, he only had one loss (glover, unknown at the time).

this is it. every fighter faces adversity in almost every fight. some fighters can have a lot of physical gifts but will fall under the pressure. the weaker fighters will be weeded out on the way to the top. in his defense, I think some of the recent losses were to underrated/overlooked fighters. but it's not like he's an exceptional fighter, himself.

to be truly elite, you need versatility. sokodjou doesn't have a strong offensive submission game; if he was truly a beast, he would've found a way to tap out Houston alexander. Houston is a tough athlete to handle, but a top fighter would've tamed the athlete and found those gaping holes.

sokudjou made his name with two huge wins compounded together within 2 months, and at the time, he only had one loss (glover, unknown at the time).

And he gave the GOAT excuse afterwards for that loss. He said he got into a car accident right before the fight and broke both of his hands and went into the fight with two broken hands.

Because he is a front-runner with poor cardio and defensive skills. He's a beast for the first three minutes of a fight, but if his opponent withstands the initial onslaught and starts landing offense of his own, Sokoudjou wilts like a leaf of lettuce left out in the sun all day.

Because he is a front-runner with poor cardio and defensive skills. He's a beast for the first three minutes of a fight, but if his opponent withstands the initial onslaught and starts landing offense of his own, Sokoudjou wilts like a leaf of lettuce left out in the sun all day.

Sounds like you're talking about Overeem.

He can't take a hit! It's not even totally about his cardio. Thierry turtles up when hit in the face.

He can't take a hit! It's not even totally about his cardio. Thierry turtles up when hit in the face.

Yep he has a mental issue where he just completely breaks down whenever he gets mounted and punched in the face. He just can't get around that mental block.

He's not that good, that's why. In his defense, I remember thinking the Minowa fight was a bullshit stoppage by a hometown ref.

He has absolutely no cardio and very questionable ground game. Yes that's funny considering he's a judoka but not one whose judo game translated well into MMA.
Sadly because come aspects of his game are really good and he's only 28

Holy shit, he's 28?!

A lot of African fighters (in boxing too) are like Soko.. Good raw athleticism and tools, but wilt under pressure and don't fight as well as they can against certain opponents.

Sounds like you're talking about Overeem.

They are very similar.

Overeem is a lot more skilled and well-rounded, but they both have the same mental and physical weaknesses.

Yes, he can beat me in MMA. So let's all just stop talking about MMA unless we can actually beat these guys.

Well, you'd beat him in a double chin competition for sure.

He's a first round wonder, Glover is the only man to defeat 1st round Sokoudjou.
2_Glover_Teixeira_vs._Rameau_Thierry_Sokoudjou___WEC_24_.gif

edit: not anymore, he got finished by in the first 6-1-0 Konstantin Erokhin apparently.

Back