Why does society look down on single men?

People look down on old single guys because either they can't attract anyone, or they are people thinking "single is happiness", and I agree that can be temporarly true but often it's false in the long run.

At all points in life you need "someone" to share memories and experience stuff with - or you become lonley/unhappy. You might not think so now, but you are guaranteed to reach a point in time when that "someone" can no longer be your friends. Friends grow up. Priorities change from you to a partner, or they are virgins and want to play video games and you get bored of them.

Single people while strong at first often end up needy because they lack somebody that really loves them in life. And eventually need to fill that need. As you are young you have parents doing the loving. But eventually they distance themselves and a friend will never love you like a partner can, and you feel empty, even as your out some night with the boys/girls.

Without a partner you eventually become stuck alone and seeking meaning. Maybe you start to meditate, only to find out that you got nothing to live for. To handle this truth, singles turn to self destructive behaviour, just so they can feel something. Single girls often end up having more sex than ever, hoping for someone to fill the emotional gaps she is experiencing. Single guys often have harder to get laid so they turn to drugs and starts watching baseball, telling themselves that what matters is who wins in sport. Both is an attempt to numb the mind from the fact they are just waiting to go to sleep as they have chosen a meaningless exsistance.

Ha, every guy, or girl for that matter, with a family I've seen go through a mid life crisis, must have missed the memo about kids giving life meaning.

I hate to burst your bubble, but existence in general is meaningless.

I should stop this though. We are getting into the area of why I don't preach atheism to people. It's a shitty thing to do to convince someone that their is no afterlife.

People look down on old single guys because either they can't attract anyone, or they are people thinking "single is happiness", and I agree that can be temporarly true but often it's false in the long run.

At all points in life you need "someone" to share memories and experience stuff with - or you become lonley/unhappy. You might not think so now, but you are guaranteed to reach a point in time when that "someone" can no longer be your friends. Friends grow up. Priorities change from you to a partner, or they are virgins and want to play video games and you get bored of them.

Single people while strong at first often end up needy because they lack somebody that really loves them in life. And eventually need to fill that need. As you are young you have parents doing the loving. But eventually they distance themselves and a friend will never love you like a partner can, and you feel empty, even as your out some night with the boys/girls.

Without a partner you eventually become stuck alone and seeking meaning. Maybe you start to meditate, only to find out that you got nothing to live for. To handle this truth, singles turn to self destructive behaviour, just so they can feel something. Single girls often end up having more sex than ever, hoping for someone to fill the emotional gaps she is experiencing. Single guys often have harder to get laid so they turn to drugs and starts watching baseball, telling themselves that what matters is who wins in sport. Both is an attempt to numb the mind from the fact they are just waiting to go to sleep as they have chosen a meaningless exsistance.
lol at this ^ clown.

Ha! Come on man. I have dated a girl for 2 years before she showed me she was nuts, so when you say you know plenty of chicks you would settle down with, I have to laugh.

Look man, if you and your wife get a little cold to each other, or raise your voices a little, that is fine.

If you are one of these people I see running around that is too afraid to be alone to leave a unhealthy relationship where you almost come to blows once a month, please don't spread your misery to others.

Hopefully most are smart enough to recognize the difference, but considering the amount of people I see have meltdown fights in public, that doesn't seem to be the case.

I got this one friend who I see have these blowouts in front of people, and their kids, and I see two very co-dependent mentally sick people.

Put it like this. If you regularly fight in front of your kids, you probably shouldn't be married.

If you don't, congrats on the good marriage.

Look, conversely, just because one woman changed on you after two years doesn't mean that most will. In fact, I'm willing to bet that most people show their true colours after just a few months of dating - you know, once the honeymoon period wears off.

My wife and I have some pretty hardcore fights once in a while. Doesn't mean we don't love each other. It just means we are both stubborn, proud people who are under pressure in our everyday lives, what with having three kids and both working more than full time.

95% of the time, though, she's the person I want to see when the working day is over. When we have free time together and the stress of every day life fades, it still feels like being in love.

As for other women, I see tons of sensible, cute women out there who have reasonable expectations of life and just wants a guy who can be a bit romantic and still make them feel safe.

Those two things are the key to almost any woman's heart forever.

Unfortunately, a large part of the male population are too obsessed with grading women on a scale and pretending to be Han Solo to give them that.

Because you propagate STDs, abortions, welfare cases, and single mothers.

Look, conversely, just because one woman changed on you after two years doesn't mean that most will. In fact, I'm willing to bet that most people show their true colours after just a few months of dating - you know, once the honeymoon period wears off.

My wife and I have some pretty hardcore fights once in a while. Doesn't mean we don't love each other. It just means we are both stubborn, proud people who are under pressure in our everyday lives, what with having three kids and both working more than full time.

95% of the time, though, she's the person I want to see when the working day is over. When we have free time together and the stress of every day life fades, it still feels like being in love.

As for other women, I see tons of sensible, cute women out there who have reasonable expectations of life and just wants a guy who can be a bit romantic and still make them feel safe.

Those two things are the key to almost any woman's heart forever.

Unfortunately, a large part of the male population are too obsessed with grading women on a scale and pretending to be Han Solo to give them that.

You kind of made my point with your honeymoon comment. Unless you have dated someone for a few months, all you are judging is their facade, so saying you could settle down with these women is absurd.

You know plenty of women who present a facade that you find pleasant.

Being single is awesome. No one to tie you down. Sure it can get lonely but aside from that i don’t really see any other downsides.

You can bang all the chicks you want. Do what you want and when you want. Go on holidays. More money for yourself.

Seems like some people think you’re a loser if you’re not married or don’t have kids. Why is that? What if you don’t want to tie yourself down in a relationship? I have been in a relationship before and I hated it.

You going on holiday alone? I go on holiday with my girlfriend but I still go away with the guys we just went to Slovenia in June mountain climbing, biking and rafting.

Just because you're in a relationship doesn't mean you give up on your social life or I say other people say they need to 'focus on their career', having a partner doesn't mean you give up on your career either, you've just got someone there to help support you.

You don't need to look at as a burden, it's supposed to enrich your life not take away from it. My girl splits everything fifty-fifty so I don't lose out there either.

Anyway at the end of the day if you're happy then you're happy and I won't tell you how to live your life.

TS, the only person who would care that you're single is you.
Try to find a good woman if you're unhappy being single.
I've never been married and I just became single again last month at the age of 38.
I'm happy with my life, though so I've never felt society demands something of me.
Just be happy and get what you want in life.
Just know in the end you're still gonna die.
Live for the moment, value quality of life over quantity.

You going on holiday alone? I go on holiday with my girlfriend but I still go away with the guys we just went to Slovenia in June mountain climbing, biking and rafting.

Just because you're in a relationship doesn't mean you give up on your social life or I say other people say they need to 'focus on their career', having a partner doesn't mean you give up on your career either, you've just got someone there to help support you.

You don't need to look at as a burden, it's supposed to enrich your life not take away from it. My girl splits everything fifty-fifty so I don't lose out there either.

Anyway at the end of the day if you're happy then you're happy and I won't tell you how to live your life.
Ive travelled alone before I actually prefer it to travelling with friends. You meet way more people if you go and stay at a hostel alone. It forces you to go and chat to random people which is a pretty fun experience imo.

Never intended on giving up my social life. I have good friends I hang out with a lot. Not sure why you said that lol. In fact you kind of made up that i was making it out to be a burden and “focusing on my career”. I never mentioned any of these things

Last edited:
I’m 30 right now. When I was in my early 20’s I was fortunate to get a good job with people a lot older than me. I worked for that company for about 8 years, and most of the older men there thought I was the smartest, most intelligent young man that worked there for not marrying. Most of those guys where married multiple times with multiple failed relationships and kids, and hated their ex wives, wives and in-laws.

Most of the younger men like me often came to work with black eyes and scratches from where their girls hit and clawed them during fights.

I was single for most of my 20’s. No other men really ever looked down on me.

Women on the other hand did. And always asked me why I’m single with no kids at 30. I give them my answers, but they never find my reasons why acceptable, so then I stopped giving them reason why. I don’t even talk about it anymore.

This read like a kid describing the merits of eating candy.

I hear 40 is the new 30, this is a phase you'll grow out of in about 15 years.

Goddam, lol. The last thing I want for my life would be to be a grandpa daddy by having a kid at age 72.

I'm just turned 50 and have put in my time and have two adult kids now, and have no desire to start over. When I was dating a girl I suspected was trying to get knocked up by me and trap me i went straight and got myself fixed. The best decision I ever made as I have had stress free relationships and sex ever since.

And if you are older, but keep yourself in great shape and have a good career, good quality of life and travel and live life the choice of women opens right up. I like women my own age but have found many much younger women like me. Not a bad thing for a date but I have no interest in a relationship with a gal much younger.

Anyway I guess that is my way of saying there can be another reason for an older male to 'stick around' and that is to enjoy the fruit of your labour as a single person dating.

Heh, well the suicide rate jumps at 75 so you've got a while yet before you get there <GinJuice>

I wrote a response to someone itt and just deleted it because they are so retarded I knew it was a lost cause and therefore it would be tantamount to abuse.

Not a lot really does matter. It's important to remember that.

A lot of people out there are petrified of society thinking they're weird. 'Normal' people have a relationship/marriage, mortgage, 9-5 job etc.....and tons of people are terrified of society thinking they aren't normal, so they project. People project all the time - they would feel completely insecure and worthless without a significant other in their lives to validate their existence. So they can't wrap their heads around how single (by choice, or at least content with it) men can go through life reasonably happy and secure with themselves.

I've only come to realise this the last two years. Now my friends are all getting married and has kids, I rarely hear from them and are left out of most activities.

That's where I am at and it's fine for me. I got tired of hearing about their dull married lives, their dumb kids, and the inevitable grilling:

"When are you going to finally meet someone and settle down?"

"Don't know. Have any single friends to introduce to me?"

"Uhhh no...."

"Fuck off then."

That's where I am at and it's fine for me. I got tired of hearing about their dull married lives, their dumb kids, and the inevitable grilling:

"When are you going to finally meet someone and settle down?"

"Don't know. Have any single friends to introduce to me?"

"Uhhh no...."

"Fuck off then."
I understand, thanks.
It's just I have no social life out of those guys. And don't want to be thought of as some loser with nothing on each weekend, which is normally the case. Only one bar I'll pop in to alone where I feel comfortable enough alone.

You kind of made my point with your honeymoon comment. Unless you have dated someone for a few months, all you are judging is their facade, so saying you could settle down with these women is absurd.

You know plenty of women who present a facade that you find pleasant.

Well, it's possible in this world, that people can fool you. However, most people's "facades" are reflections of themselves. When you know a person, either as friends or colleagues, for a good while, you most likely know them pretty well. Of course they may be somewhat different in a relationship, but in my experience, they are not orders of magnitude different. I haven't had bad experiences moving from friendship to relationship myself.

Single women too. Not getting married is taboo to many. But it also doesnt work for everyone.

Because they assume something must be wrong with you. And generally it does mean that. If nothing was wrong with you then you could get a girl. And almost all men want a girl. So what's wrong with you, is what people think?

Back