Why Does Shogun Keep Dropping For Leglocks When He Has His Opponents Back

Yeah I don't know why he keeps attempting it even after 2 failed attempts, I mean he goes for it whenever he gets the back, I'm sure opponents expect it and try to avoid it now. Also I have no idea why Rogan keeps calling Shogun a master of leg locks when Shogun has only won the Randleman fight with a sub. Palhares is the master of leg locks, not Shogun. Either way, I'm a huge fan and he always brings it, so war Shogun either way.

He's obviously a racist who likes the whole Sambo thing.

Some people... Wow.

Shogun's jiu jitsu has always been geared near-entirely toward positioning. He trained under Nino Schembri at Chute Boxe who's always used omoplatas and sweep-leg lock combinations. He's actually considered a pioneer of the omoplata.

Shogun just uses it to land ground and pound instead. This style is likely more gi-friendly, which could explain why Shogun uses its positional advantages without locking in submissions. Even with only 1 submission win, he still has some of the best sweeps, rolls, and half guards in MMA.

Some people... Wow.

Shogun's jiu jitsu has always been geared near-entirely toward positioning. He trained under Nino Schembri at Chute Boxe who's always used omoplatas and sweep-leg lock combinations. He's actually considered a pioneer of the omoplata.

Shogun just uses it to land ground and pound instead. This style is likely more gi-friendly, which could explain why Shogun uses its positional advantages without locking in submissions. Even with only 1 submission win, he still has some of the best sweeps, rolls, and half guards in MMA.

This. Just because Shogun has only one submission win doesn't mean he doesn't have great ground game.

Even with only 1 submission win, he still has some of the best sweeps, rolls, and half guards in MMA.

that may be, but his utilization of them in actual fights is very questionable.

Vs jones he kept going for the sweep and/or leglock and basically trapping his own arm and getting elbowed in the face.....not really a great success.

attempting those moves against someone with a good top game thats heavier than you is just not smart. but im merely playing monday quarterback here. hindsights always 20/20

jones_rua_487_381.jpg

Vs jones he kept going for the sweep and/or leglock and basically trapping his own arm and getting elbowed in the face.....not really a great success.

jones_rua_487_381.jpg

Nobody except for Stephan Bonnar has been able to really stifle Jones' top game and get back to his feet, and I'm not sure that the 2012 Stephan Bonnar could survive off his back against the 2012 Jones.

Why do people ask "Why?" on a message board?

How in the hell is anybody here supposed to know why?

jones_rua_487_381.jpg

Jones is the man. Rashad didn't take him down. Is Rashad a mediocre wrestler now? Lyoto was outstruck and choked out. Is Lyoto a mediocre striker and less legitimate BJJ black belt now?

Shogun's strategy was egregious against Jones, but everything he did against Jones had worked on pretty much everyone he fought in the past, and Shogun obviously thought he saw a vulnerability with Jon's legs/inexperience. He was wrong, and he deserved to lose.

EDIT: And let's really look at Shogun's half guard against Jones. He was slaughtered without question, but he spent about 10 minutes under Jones before he was done. Machida and Rampage were crushed after 10 seconds under Jones. A crushing loss is a crushing loss, but Shogun minimized damage on the ground against Jones (compared to most everyone else) pretty well due to his ground game.

attempting those moves against someone with a good top game thats heavier than you is just not smart. but im merely playing monday quarterback here. hindsights always 20/20

jones_rua_487_381.jpg

I'm pretty sure Jones is the only guy in Pride and UFC who has been able to nullify Shogun's bottom half guard game.

I'm pretty sure Jones is the only guy in Pride and UFC who has been able to nullify Shogun's bottom half guard game.

pretty sure forrest started off on top before he got the back and the rnc.

as for the rest of shoguns fights....how many times was he in that position? most of his fights in pride he finished in teh first round.

i really dont remember him being on his back in the ufc except against forest and jones, but my memory isnt that great.

I've questioned why Shogun reverts to this move as frequently as he does myself personally. Its one thing if you can land it, however I've seen him fail at it over and over...

And believe me, I'm a huge Shogun fan.

Nobody except for Stephan Bonnar has been able to really stifle Jones' top game and get back to his feet, and I'm not sure that the 2012 Stephan Bonnar could survive off his back against the 2012 Jones.

True, but Bonnar is pretty good on the ground, but he is terrible standing up and wrestling. So his ground game is useless since he never takes the fight to the ground lol

He did it twice against Jones and threw a way a great position against Gustafsson aswell where he could of landed some great knees by botching a leglock attempt. He only has like one submission win in his career, he needs to stop thinking that he is Palhares.

God forbid someone try's something diffrent and be an exciting fighter :rolleyes:

God forbid someone try's something diffrent and be an exciting fighter :rolleyes:

Different doesn't have to consistently be blooper reel material.

his in the middle of a fight and he probably thought he had something. happens to every fighter in every fight until one works. or just ask him one day? maybe its a joke to troll sherdog.

his in the middle of a fight and he probably thought he had something. happens to every fighter in every fight until one works. or just ask him one day? maybe its a joke to troll sherdog.

Word.

You're don't get recognized as one of the most exciting fighters in history by playing it safe. You win some. You lose some.

Back