Why Does Shogun Keep Dropping For Leglocks When He Has His Opponents Back

Funny how non professional fighter's are critical towards professional fighter's

I guess he feels he has a better chance at getting the leglock rather than trying for both hooks and an RNC. He knows his abilities better than we do, he knows what works for him in the gym. Not to mention that Jones and Gus are quite long legged, maybe he felt it would be easier to get the lock.

I agree it probably isn't a smart move on his part. But he looks super badass when he does it imo.

Cool, let me know when ya get even close to the accomplishments that Shogun has.

I'm not a Le Courdon Bleu chef, but I'm smart enough to know when I've eaten crappy food.

I think a Leglock is acceptable for a BJJ blackbelt.

Position over submission. Position over submission. Position over submission. Position over submission. Position over submission.

Because he has trained BJJ with Maia and it is a move frequently taught by the Check Mate guys.
It's not like he is notorious for his top game. (exclude hammerfists)

I'm not a Le Courdon Bleu chef, but I'm smart enough to know when I've eaten crappy food.

LOL you're the guy who thinks he can teach Brady to throw better, nevermind ya probably don't even know who that is.

Position over submission. Position over submission. Position over submission. Position over submission. Position over submission.
Because he has trained BJJ with Maia and it is a move frequently taught by the Check Mate guys.
It's not like he is notorious for his top game. (exclude hammerfists)

LOL you're the guy who thinks he can teach Brady to throw better, nevermind ya probably don't even know who that is.

I'm pretty sure I could teach him not to hit Marcia in the nose.

His first leg lock was very close. If Shogun wasn't known for them it probably would have caught Gus by surprise.

Also, it came off a sweep, so it hardly sacrificed position. It was a strong move.

I don't think he should continue to drop down when having his opponents back. It is low percentage and it does sacrifice his position, while putting him in a compromising one.

I think it highlights a major weakness in Shogun's camps: Strategy.

I don't know wtf his strategy was for Hendo.

His strategy for Gus was better but not enough: leg lock/overhand right. It's just not enough to beat the best.

Shogun showed improvements in his cardio and movement against Gus. He he still has a lot of room for improvement. He's only 31 I honestly feel he could still make a run. It's up to him tho, sometimes the passion/desire isn't there.

Should he have done it?

The res.ults and Shogun's true expertise screams "NO".

I'm sure Shogun was thinking "let me try for a leg lock even though its not going to work."

Dumb fucking thing to say. Shogun fights to finish, also he doesn't use takedowns from the back so what's he suppose to do?
Hold Gustafsson and knee him? He did that and Gus broke free.

I'm sure Shogun was thinking "let me try for a leg lock even though its not going to work."

Dumb fucking thing to say. Shogun fights to finish, also he doesn't use takedowns from the back so what's he suppose to do?
Hold Gustafsson and knee him? He did that and Gus broke free.

I wonder how often other BJJ blackbelts in MMA have tried that same move while having the opponent's back. Not that many I suppose. Must be a good reason for it. You'd think Shogun would change his mind about it after having no success with it. Ah well.

Another Shogun thread that will reach 50 pages of haters and Shogun fans going back and forth

I predict someone says Machida beat Shogun around page 15 and then flame war ensues

I wonder how often other BJJ blackbelts in MMA have tried that same move while having the opponent's back. Not that many I suppose. Must be a good reason for it. You'd think Shogun would change his mind about it after having no success with it. Ah well.

How many of those BJJ's fighter's are pure strikers?

if you don't have the strength to say suplex someone and since you can't elbow the back of the head there's not much you can do when you have the opponents back

Back