Why Does Shogun Keep Dropping For Leglocks When He Has His Opponents Back

He did it twice against Jones and threw a way a great position against Gustafsson aswell where he could of landed some great knees by botching a leglock attempt. He only has like one submission win in his career, he needs to stop thinking that he is Palhares.

He's a pro-fighter & knows better than you so STFU.

Maybe he has more confidence that he can finish the fight with a submission than standing against those fighters. I really dont understand it either, he more often than not puts himself in to a shitty situation when he dives for a leg

Ive never been real impressed with his ground game, but I love the way he rolls into guard. Not a lot of other fighters do that. He's turtled up 1 second and the next thing you know he does that sneaky roll to guard move.

For whatever reason, he has faith in the technique. Shrug.

Oh, so it worked for him did it? And are pro fighters incapable of using bad gameplans and making bad decisions in a fight?...NO They Are Not!! So you STFU you fool.

yawn*

Wake me up when ya have some type of rank in martial arts or fighting in general, don't reply unless ya got proof cuz I'm not gonna keep bumpin your POS thread.

yawn*

Wake me up when ya have some type of rank in martial arts or fighting in general, don't reply unless ya got proof cuz I'm not gonna keep bumpin your POS thread.

What does that have to do with anything, yes I do but it doesnt matter because that has nothing to do with this conversation. Do you think that highly of yourself that you will only talk mma with someone if they bring you proof of their rank in martial arts...

He's a pro-fighter & knows better than you so STFU.

This is never a sound argument. People who are experts in their respective fields make boneheaded mistakes all the time. I'm not a doctor, but when I saw that case about a surgeon accidentally sewing his patient back up before he removed the towels that he used to soak the blood up, I knew that was a dumb mistake.

There are fighters like Melvin Guillard or Martin Kampmann who routinely make poor tactical decisions in the cage. You don't need a martial arts pedigree to see that those mistakes are causing them to lose fights.

Maybe he isn't very good at returning back to the mat? But really, I have no idea, it always seems so telegraphed.

I love shogun but I always love to hear joe rogan talk about his "great" leglocks when he has 1 and it was against Kevin randleman who has lost by submission 8 times

I agree. Its not a good move on shoguns part. He never gets it and hes left in an extremely vulnerable position.

What else is he going to do with their backs?

Get hooks, drag them to the floor, slam...if you're feeling saucy suplex. Dropping for a heel hook is literally the dumbest thing you can do in modern mma next to jumping guard

shogun is dumb...

i wouldnt go that far, but he isnt the type who takes a highly intelligent approach to training or fightint

he relies on his power and chin, of course his skills too

This is never a sound argument. People who are experts in their respective fields make boneheaded mistakes all the time. I'm not a doctor, but when I saw that case about a surgeon accidentally sewing his patient back up before he removed the towels that he used to soak the blood up, I knew that was a dumb mistake.

There are fighters like Melvin Guillard or Martin Kampmann who routinely make poor tactical decisions in the cage. You don't need a martial arts pedigree to see that those mistakes are causing them to lose fights.

Exactly.

It could simply be his "go to" move. Many BJJ black belts have 1 or 2 techniques that are their bread and butter. Leglocks could be shoguns.

In the fight it could be just reactionary...all that muscle memory from practice just taking over.

I yell at the tv whenever anyone goes for leglocks because they are such a high risk low percentage move. Not only do you lose position, but you hand your leg to your opponent on a platter.

The other thing that drives me nuts is fighters at the level in the UFC not knowing how to "answer the phone" to defend chokes. Its just un-believable that these guys dont know how to defend chokes. I seriously believe that have to train 0 bjj or they were simply giving up in the fight and gave up the choke as a way out.

like in silva v hendo....dan was half ass answering the phone at first...and then just let anderson sink the choke in.

He is successful taking people's back with that technique see it used against Liddell, but obviously it's harder to pull off against a wrestler of Jones' caliber.

Back