Why does Rafa Mendes not lock the support hand behind the head in the RNC?

No problemo, the palm of the other hand (your right hand) would be touching your shoulder and your head would pinch down. Here's my instructor explaining a bit:

So, instead of using the right hand to "slice" the back of the head grab the left left shoulder? I just realized using my invisible partner by grabbing my left shoulder the space where there neck would be closes about 2 more inches compared to the slicing technique. Thanks! Ill have to try it out.

So, instead of using the right hand to "slice" the back of the head grab the left left shoulder? I just realized using my invisible partner by grabbing my left shoulder the space where there neck would be closes about 2 more inches compared to the slicing technique. Thanks! Ill have to try it out.

Either way they're very similar. Whether you grab your shoulder, or keep a knife hand to "slice" as you say, or even make a fist, which people like Drysdale advocate, it's all good. The main thing you're always taught is to not place your palm on the back of the top or even the back of the head, which is what Rafa Mendes is doing. In the Leo match, he even put his hand on the front of Leo's forehead, but as someone said, that is probably to prevent Leo tucking his chin. I'm guessing Leo tapped before Rafa could get his support arm in the right position. But then again, I do not know Rafa's thoughts on the Mata Leao and these 3 videos have bad angles and aren't enough evidence to really tell much.

Thanks for the replies anyways!

No problem, glad to help!

I'm a huge fan of drysdale's setup for the choke. It's the way I do it and the way that I teach it.

Thanks for the input on Rafa's choke. I believe your assumption of preventing the chin tuck is correct.

Back