Why does Rafa Mendes not lock the support hand behind the head in the RNC?

Drew Foster

Silver Belt
Reaction score
I realize this is dumb in at least a few ways:

1. I only have 2 examples, so it may not be a regular thing.

2. It's possible his opponents tapped before he could lock it behind.

3. He can do whatever the hell he wants, who am I to question it? His chokes are so strong I doubt it matters anyways, but:

I noticed in the Leo Vieira fight he put his support hand on Leo's forehead. Leo didn't try to pull it down because he tapped so fast.

Against Orley de Oliveira he put his support hand on top of the head but not behind it.

Has anyone that's done a seminar with him worked on the Mata Leao/RNC?

5:32

1:30

Can't tell if he does or doesn't in this one:

theoretically you can finish the rnc with one arm, the choking arm, if its strong enough then its all that matters.. kinda like marcelos squeeze, he probobly has perfect sensitivity in the chokes as well.

theoretically you can finish the rnc with one arm, the choking arm, if its strong enough then its all that matters.. kinda like marcelos squeeze, he probobly has perfect sensitivity in the chokes as well.

That was my guess

This is a really interesting find.

It looks like he's going for more of a windpipe choke too. I'd be interested to hear him discuss it.

This is a really interesting find.

It looks like he's going for more of a windpipe choke too. I'd be interested to hear him discuss it.

I thought so too but on all of the chokes, at least to me, it looks like his elbow is in line with the chin except for the ADCC trials match. Even then, he could be squeezing his elbows together...

I noticed it on Leo when I first saw it but I figured he just didn't have time to get the left arm behind the neck. Then I recently saw the ADCC trial matches and the DEEP match and got curious. I'll check my No-Gi Mundials DVDs soon and see if he finished any of his matches there by RNC.

A lot of ppl here have done seminars and privates with the Mendes Bros. so maybe we'll get an idea.

I dunno... Unfortunately I don't think there is enough evidence between 3 matches (2 with bad angles) to be able to figure this out without training with him personally.

umm... because it's like he's doing a guillotine from the back? lol

A lot of times they are forcing the guy to tap because the pressure on the face is so great. It's not hard to break the jaw of someone defending with their chin, which is bad technique to begin with.

Interesting thing about the RNC that I have noticed Rickson and Marcelo do is that they place the non choking hand on their own shoulder instead of behind the guys head.
I' ve switched to this method and it seems to be more powerful.

The reason why I know its more powerful is that I used to put my hand behind my opponents head and most of the time they would get that damn chin in for the bad defense. With the hand behind the head people were still able to survive eventhough I was squeezing for dear life.
With the hand on my shoulder, everybody taps.

I can't see much on Mendes' videos you posted. I can tell you from personal experience that a one handed RNC works. Got caught in 2 some time ago.

in the Leo match he has 1 of Leo's arms trap as to why I think he taps faster - it's looks more along the line of the trachea then a perfect RNC against Orly - also i bet his squeeze is beastly

Interesting thing about the RNC that I have noticed Rickson and Marcelo do is that they place the non choking hand on their own shoulder instead of behind the guys head.

The reason why I know its more powerful is that I used to put my hand behind my opponents head and most of the time they would get that damn chin in for the bad defense. With the hand behind the head people were still able to survive eventhough I was squeezing for dear life.

I can't see much on Mendes' videos you posted. I can tell you from personal experience that a one handed RNC works. Got caught in 2 some time ago.

I should correct myself by saying when I say "behind the head" I mean grabbing across to your own shoulder.

I have never used my hand against the actual back of the had in an RNC. When I first learned it at 12, oddly enough, I still never did that.

I agree with you. With the hand on shoulder that shit in unstoppable.

maybe he's just countering the escape by having his hand there.

Looks to me like he's pulling up on the forehead. Looks risky to leave the hand there, though, but he might be anticipating the opponent grabbing it.

That's the way I learned it as well. Free hand touching my own shoulder, then covering my hand with the side of my head/ear (angling the head). Makes it much harder for people to reach up and pry the arm free. If you put your palm on the back of their head, it helps push their chin down.

I see it in the second video.

He's using more of a modified blade choke than a RNC. Notice at 1:30 that his elbow is not near the neck and his forearm is across the throat.

That's the way I learned it as well. Free hand touching my own shoulder, then covering my hand with the side of my head/ear (angling the head). Makes it much harder for people to reach up and pry the arm free. If you put your palm on the back of their head, it helps push their chin down.

Could you explain a little bit more? I'm having a hard time getting a visual haha. If I have the rnc and my left arm is around the neck grabbing right bicep, where's the other hand?

Could you explain a little bit more? I'm having a hard time getting a visual haha. If I have the rnc and my left arm is around the neck grabbing right bicep, where's the other hand?

No problemo, the palm of the other hand (your right hand) would be touching your shoulder and your head would pinch down. Here's my instructor explaining a bit:

Back