1. Where did your likes go? Please Read This Thread »

Why does Paul Felder get to cherry pick fights?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by BEATDOWNS, Jun 30, 2020 at 8:17 AM.

1. BEATDOWNS Steel Belt Platinum Member

Look i understand he just came off a War in his last fight but i think being a UFC commentator has gone to his head. Who is he to say i'm gonna wait for the right fight?

One minute he's practically crying in the cage retiring next minutes he's in a position to cherry pick the perfect fight?

Pu lease.

2. zxyss25 Brown Belt

Everyone technically gets to "attempt" to cherry pick fights...its called a callout

However, I doubt the UFC actually gives him these fights to Felder

Felder will likely have to face Iaquinta, RDA or Kevin Lee if he comes back

Now Dom Cruz on the other hand...he actually got to cherry pick Triple C

Bob Sapp, PitDoggMMA, Kdup and 9 others like this.
  3. SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

You're suggesting he doesn't have the right to choose not to fight? That's....weird.

Also a good time to remind everyone, that the UFC created the rules to this game. 20, 15, 10 or 2 years ago they could have set up a pay scale and/or fight matchups algorithmically or according to some - any - metric. They consciously chose not to, because the ability to pick and choose gives them more power, authority, and kept more money and negotiation control on their side and less on fighters' sides.

A major portion of those rules the UFC put in place includes that fighters have unilateral ability to pick or turn down fights. Most fighters without any leverage have no use for the unilateral ability to turn down fights. But some do.

But to blame fighters for reverse engineering those rules UFC put in place - including using leverage when they have it - lacks critical thinking (and that's a nice way of putting it).

4. NicholasJBasile Hoping to fight some day...

I tend to agree with this. I would argue that even with his loss, he has a fair amount of leverage. He is likely more of a sell being a commentator and more recognizable to more casuals and also his fight against Hooker was quite entertaining. Lastly, he can afford to narrow his selections of interesting fights as he already considered retiring anyways. Either the UFC can give him an enticing fight or he can retire -- he really doesn't have much to lose.

I don't disagree with your general thesis though TS; he certainly isn't in a position to be granted any of those fights imo; Kevin Lee, Gregor Gillespie, Iaquinta, etc would make more sense imo

HHJ and Dave Poodle like this.
  5. Hellowhosthat Red Belt

Everyone seems to think they get to pick fights these days.

6. jeff7b9 Silver Belt

He is on the tale end of a violent career, he is a recognizable fighter with many great wars...

Why wouldn’t he have some say in if/when/who he fights?

7. Zebra Cheeks 2Cheeks Staff Member Senior Moderator

Felder has asked for top 5 guys like Ferguson, Conor, Justin etc for awhile now. Always seems to get good fights but they aren’t taking him into that top teir like they did Dan hooker. But he’s just below that set of guys. So basically, he’s gonna have his pick of the litter outside that top group.

8. Krixes The Undefeated Gaul Platinum Member

After you sponsor Fight Milk you can do whatever you want...

[​IMG]

9. Straatblaffer Orange Belt

Why shouldnt he try.. he hasnt gotten the fight he wants yet, did he?

10. cburm Purple Belt

Hes not trying to fight for ever he may fight 3 more times maybe if he can get some wins but hes picky now because hes gonna retire soon bud..

If that dont make sense then idk what to tell you

11. shankmcgank Yellow Card Yellow Card

Maybe he should earn that fight by beating people like Dan Hooker ?

Hooker got his fight against Poirier by beating Felder.

Perhaps if Paul had won, he'd have gotten the fight he hasn't earned, but feels he deserves ?

20200629_212522.jpg

12. Schoolboy Q Yellow Card Yellow Card

Gotta love these self entitled fans, is Felder not aloud to call out fighters? Lmfao

13. Volador Purple Belt

Guys like him, Bisping, Dc and Cruz are company men and get extra opportunities. The difference being that Cruz, DC and Ping are legends of the game and somewhat deserve them, but he isn’t.

His commentary job must pay pretty well, so I understand him not wanting to take unnecessary damage if he can make more money doing that. However, I also think no one really cares about him getting a top 5 opponent.

Eventually, if he really wants to compete, he’ll cave and face someone ranked 5-10. I don’t blame him for trying to get big fights, but it’s unrealistic and kinda funny.

14. Peli Blue Belt

I don't get the felder hate. Leave the man alone. lol

mmathurbator likes this.
  15. Straatblaffer Orange Belt

Dude.. it's his job.. why on earth would he ask for less? Havent u learned you always try to get the most out of your job. Every smart fighter tries to get the biggest fight for him

16. Siesta Black Belt

Cherry pick? You actually think he has power to do that? Ffs.

<Dany07>

17. I am your real dad I am surrounded by NERDs !!! Yellow Card

Felder will fight anyone.

18. ChinaMMABlog Green Belt

Dom's a former champ. Totally different case.

But yeah, Felder vs. Iaquinta is a great fight to make right now, especially since they were scheduled to fight at UFC 223.

Actually, Felder losing that fight after making weight and the debacle with Max not weighing in and Iaquinta stepping in to fight Khabib for the title, even though Raging Al was over championship weight, might be another reason the UFC has been giving Felder some preferential treatment. He got hosed, so they've given him a few perks along the way.

19. Hespectfully Black Belt Platinum Member

I can't think of any other fighter-turned-commentator who used their high visibility platform for callouts. I'm not sure why, but something about this rubs me the wrong way. Like the time he told Gaethje he that he'd love to fight him in the post show interview.

20. Beherit Brown Belt

I want felder to fight makhachev

fortheo and Peli like this.