Why does Nick Diaz 'move the needle' but Nate Diaz not so much?

it appeared to me that not stoned diaz would still beat gomi,i know im going out on a limb here fellas !

it appeared to me that not stoned diaz would still beat gomi,i know im going out on a limb here fellas !

But could he beat him without a broken orbital? We all know that's when he turned up the heat!

Nick's better. He could potentially beat top fighters.

So best theory would be that staying out of UFC for a long while did wonders to his career.

Being big fish in small(er) pod can be good, at least since he had managed to stay dominant, I guess?

Since there's similar story with Lombard, Melendez etc. I would guess that's one solid part of it.

Nick is a bit better, if not much better than Nate. Things just happened to line up for Nick when he was in Strikeforce, he got enough wins over relatively ok and known opponents. Currently, the UFC is so short on big names (they just lost another temporarily due to cocaine), so Nick's actions fell in place plus he was stubborn enough not to budge whereas Nate didn't caved in for UFC and showed up to work.

He also drew the ire and attention of WW kingpin and uber needle mover GSP, who helped to hype up Diaz by playing along and announcing how much he hated Diaz.

Nate might be more popular if Nick wasn't already around. Can you imagine a bantamweight bearded loud mouthed, Irish guy, wearing (mostly) ugly *and poorly tailored suits, who wasn't able to knock top 15 guys out that easily being popular now?

Or look at Rory MacDonald. Similar style to GSP, (not yet as good) and gets no love even though his English is infinitely better.

Exactly. Nate would be Nick if Nick never existed.

But could he beat him without a broken orbital? We all know that's when he turned up the heat!

he hasnt popped hot for other fights and has only shown further disdain when he has been hurt

Nick garnered a lot of attention with his Strikeforce run, won exciting fights and was thought of as potentially the best welterweight in the world for some time(although that ultimately proved false when he came to the UFC). Nate never had that kind of a run.

Hardly anyone thought this.

Nick's been fighting longer and outside the UFC. Like a lone wolf on the road cussing the top guys out for years, while being in wars and getting popped for weed while fighting in Pride. Being on TUF doesn't help the bad boy image, that's more for dude bros, and Nate's generally described as the nicer guy by Dana. Nick's also the better fighter.

eiuw3l.jpg

Nick has hyped his fights up better and has had better fights overall and has fought the better guys on a constant basis or whatever.

Look at GSP/Nick, that fight sold so much not because of GSP, but because of Nick. People probably won't believe it but isn't it one of the biggest PPV's they ever had? if Nick didn't talk the way he did or get a rise out of GSP the way he did, it wouldn't have sold as much. Nick is just as much the reason that sold so much as GSP is.

Nate has never hyped a fight like that, never put on a fight that big before and probably never will because there's just no GSP-like stars around, the guy is basically one of a kind and Nick got the chance to make that shit happen with him.

Nate is losing to guys like RDA (wasn't even close to 100% in the fight) and Nick is fighting, and probably losing to GOAT's like GSP and Anderson Silva. If Nick wasn't getting those fights, he wouldn't be as much of a 'needle mover' either.

Nick seems to know how to work the system a little better than Nate. He knows how to make fights bigger and hype them up better than Nate does. The hype for Nate/Cerrone is probably the best in terms of hype for Nate, in my opinion, and man, that was a great fight for us Diaz fans! if Nate could do more of that, he'd definitely be a 'needle mover'.

And all in all, sometimes it's just that one guy will always do better than the other and there's no great reason for it. There's almost always the one brother who will be a bigger star than the other. Like Fedor/Alex, Fedor is the GOAT, obviously, but Alex was a great fighter and all but he'll be just known as, "Fedor's brother, the guy who got KTFO by Cro Cop and is being charged with rape", even though that's not the best definition of the guy. That's just how it is, it seems.

Nick came first...it's just that simple. Nate would have to be light years better to be seen as anything but a cheap imitation...and he's not light years better...or really even better at all.

Former Champ, bigger weight class, better fighter, longer career, even when difficult to understand half of what he says, he talks better and more clear smack than Nate.

Nick gogoplata gomi

Nick 2003 UFC

Nick strikeforce champion, many defenses, including Shamrock (this is the main reason, while this run he was considered probably the best WW just behind GSP)

Nick destroy BJ Penn

Nick Diaz is a star former considered the best WW in the world, just behind GSP. Nate never had that.

Hardly anyone thought this.

Just like many fans thought Lombard could defeat Anderson at the moment, many fans thought Nick could defeat GSP at the moment.

That's the true, now is different, but years ago was that way

Back