Why does Mir break limbs and Palhares not?

Mir is more powerful and he sometimes doesn't have his subs quite right and he doesn't go for the legs as much. It seems when you don't get the sub quite right but have the power to crank it, it bends bones more, like Tim's arm and Brock's leg.

On first blush this sounds like crazy talk... but then I considered the fact that Mir broke Sylvia's forearm with an armbar that should have hyperextended/dislocated his elbow, and broke Big Nog's upper arm with a Kimura that should have torn up his shoulder and I was like... "Hmmm... could be onto something."

Also goes a way in explaining why neither guy tapped.

Armlocks break bones, whereas leglocks wrench ligaments.

Thank you. I was late, but I came to say this. People who don't know what a heel hook feels like don't get it.

Yaeh man, it's not a "pain-type" submission that you can just try to push through. If a heel hook is locked on tight and you don't make like Bo Jangles in quick time the physical structure of your knee is going to be in a sad, sorry state for a year or so. Leg locks are truly the most nasty submission out there, IMO, which makes the fact that Paul doesn't release them that much more serious.

Paul Harris would just tear ligaments. Pretty sure he messed up Pierce pretty good.

Paul Harris would just tear ligaments. Pretty sure he messed up Pierce pretty good.

Sprained MCL in knee, torn ankle ligament.

He recovered from both of those within two months, but has had a broken hand as well as a couple of other setbacks since.

Mir's opponents wouldn't tap or it was too late. Sylvia, Nog.

Back