Why does Leon not accept the Burns fight?

Leon went from being one fight away with a good showing against Belal — and fouls out.

Leon fights Diaz — wins AND gets clowned by Diaz.

Leon now shopping around for another opponent to give him that final boost into a Title fight — all while hanging on to his Non-Losing Streak.

Oh i agree that burns fight against wonderboy was dull. And yes he's the same age as jorge almost you're right. Now what's true is that he's the only fighter in the top 5 that is not booked next (unlike colby), comes off a win (unlile Jorge) and called out Leon clearly (unlike everybody). Leon needs a win against a top 5 because last i checked he never beat any top 5 guy. Hell he never beat a then ranked top 10. His best win is Luque when he was outside of the top 15. Maybe get moving and get a win against a contender that comes off a win will solidify his claim ? I don't think that's too crazy
I think for Leon the issue is that the goal posts keep moving. Beating Nate maybe gets you a shot. Beating Burns maybe gets you a shot. Maybe, Maybe, Maybe. He dominated Nate and because he didn't KO a guy who never gets KO'd he doesn't deserve a title shot?

The UFC keeps everything vague so why should Leon jump because Burns has something to gain from it. Burns is coming off of a definitive loss to Usman. Leon is one of the very few contenders who hasn't fought Usman. Burns has everything to gain from a fight with Leon and Leon gains nothing. I don't see why the number one contender should have to wait in line and defend that against guys who have already gotten title shots. Colby 2x, Masvidal 2x and Burns once earlier this year.

Also he beat a ranked RDA who was Sherdog #5 in the world which is #4 contender with champ as #1. Same RDA who had a title fight with Colby. Same Colby who had a title fight with only 1 ranked win vs Maia. Masvidal actually has the better wins pre title fight with KO's of #6 Darren Till (Ranked #9 on Sherdog with 2 Bellator WWs & Champion removed Till is #6 UFC contender) and then #4 contender Askren.

It makes the most sense for Leon to fight Masvidal rather then Burns. Masvidal isn't booked and wants "Anyone that gets me to the title again." July 29th, 2021. Burns feels the same way I am sure. Leon is the actual prize so he should dictate who he fights not Burns IMO.

Burns is a riskier fight. Leon figures he can beat Masvidal in a kickboxing match.

Burns is a riskier fight. Leon figures he can beat Masvidal in a kickboxing match.
Leon will try fight on the outside with Burns and pick him off, but Burns will walk through him. Look what happened to WB, Leon wont stand a chance, once Burns gets in on him, either his power in his hands will hurt him, or he will just grab hold of him and ragdoll him.

I could see Leon beating Masvidal, it would be an extremely boring fight if Leon wins. I think Masvidal is still risky, if Diaz was able to catch him, I am sure Masvidal has a better chance.

Back