1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Why does Leon not accept the Burns fight?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Cauliflower Ear, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Cauliflower Ear Banned Banned

He said he wasn't going to fight this year, then Burns called him out, now he is suddenly willing to fight Masvidal end of the year?

What is wrong with this guy? He is clearly avoiding any tough match ups, and wants none of Burns.

He is calling out Masvidal hoping to get that fight, instead of Dana listening to Burns and making them fight.

He is being forced into a corner now, and his 2 options are Burns or Masvidal, he probably thinks Masvidal is the easier fight as Usman just KO'd him.

I could seem him drag out another boring decision against Masvidal at best, but if Masvidal clips him like Nate, its gong to be night night for Leon.
    I hope Leon does not think that if Usman can KO him, he can as well, I think he is forgetting how tough Masvidal is.

This guy is a fraud, and ducking as much as he can, anyone who still says different is clearly deluded.

Oz.Pride likes this.
  2. Goldentrophy Brown Belt

I rather see Burns fight Chiesa if he does beat Vicente

Noel Wards likes this.
  3. Iron Monger Black Belt

Because he wants another easy fight against an old former LW, not a real WW contender

4. Mammothman Gold Belt

If Leon is smart, he will take the Burns fight, he needs to beat a legit top 5 guy to make a case for a TS, after that there won't be any doubt he is next for the belt and it would be a fresh win too.

5. Kvothe_the_kingkiller Brown Belt

The same reason Colby and Masvidal won't fight Edwards after he called THEM out.

When there is a systemic problem, it doesn't do you any good to point out when one person is doing it.

Q: "Like OMG, who come (fighter x) cuts 10% of weight?!?"
    A: the same reason half of UFC fighters cut 10% or more (and 75% cut 7% or more).

Systemic. Look up the word, TS.

And I'm no Edwards nuthugger. I just prefer an honest debate.

Oh and by the way, when Colby and Masvidal ducked Edwards, they were rewarded with title shots. There's a lesson in there somewhere....if you look hard enough.....

6. Unheralded Truth Purple Belt

Are you surprised though? Yeah, he's always been kind of a duck.
    But when it's not for a title shot (since Burns won't get a rematch this fast) then why would he choose that fight?
    Better to get another safe W until that title shot comes

Cauliflower Ear likes this.
  7. Mesos Black Belt

Because Burns had a boring, awful performance in his last fight. He also doesnt have that big of name in comparison to others in division. Hence why Leon is calling out Jorge who has a big name and a win over him guarantees Leon is definitely next for Usman. Also Jorge is a tougher fight than Burn, Masvidal has really dangerous counters that pose problems for Leon.

Burns will get Winner of Chiesa/Luque

pick999 likes this.
  8. NoBiasJustMMA Steel Belt

I think the lesson is fighting popular fighters or creating intruigue for fans about your next fight gets you to a title shot faster than just fighting the best available fighters does.

cfree and Mohawk Banditó like this.
  9. Cauliflower Ear Banned Banned

Clearly, although I think he is looking passed Masvidal. Just cause Usman KO'd, it does not mean he is still a tough SOB
    He is not smart though, not at the top. He is smart enough that he managed to build win streak off beating scrubs. But everyone can see that, hence why Dana has not given him a shot.
    He needs to put it all on the line now, but after that Diaz performance, its clear he cannot even finish his dinner, let alone a LW fighting at WW.

Iron Monger likes this.
  10. Carrotman23 Of Rivia

Because it's a high risk fight and in his eyes he's already earned a title shot . I thought so too until 5th rd Diaz did what he did .

Cauliflower Ear likes this.
  11. Goldentrophy Brown Belt

He is adamant about not fighting Vicente

Mohawk Banditó likes this.
  12. Mohawk Banditó Black Belt

"Duh! It's sports entertainment. And when I say that, I mean that I'm not actually entertained by the sport. Therefore, they need to sacrifice stupid things like 'legitimacy' in order to cater to my limited attention span."

NoBiasJustMMA likes this.
  13. Bend NvR Break Order to Chaos. Chaos to Order.

The UFC has talking about Leon vs Masdival since immediately after the Leon vs Nate fight.

Why would the UFC let Burns interrupt their plans?

Gamer007, Baltimore Bro and jjresq like this.
  14. Bend NvR Break Order to Chaos. Chaos to Order.

TS won't get it. He's just trying to bash Leon.

Leon just took a high risk low reward fight and it almost blew up in his face. And TS wants him to take another. Frankly, imo, Leon doesn't have to do anything to get a future TS. The UFC wouldn't be able to say they are a legitimate competitive promotion with a semi straight face if Leon isn't next after Colby and Usman. Him fighting Masdival is just the cherry on the sundae.

15. Cazador Diurno Orange Belt

Leon should fight Masdival. Burns can get the winner of Chiesa/Luque

Azyy likes this.
  16. Exarch01 Purple Belt

I'm just impressed Edwards is actually looking for a fight. I figured he would say something like, "I'm not fighting again unless it's for the title," then proceed to never fight again.

Bend NvR Break likes this.
  17. TempleoftheDog Black Belt

Why should he fight Burns? It makes no sense, in any way, shape, or form. He’s either getting the TS, or looking for a money fight.

Chess vs checkers. What a dumb thread.

18. Kvothe_the_kingkiller Brown Belt

Ya, I fed it. Joke is on me.

19. Mohawk Banditó Black Belt

He's always bouncing in Luque's corner. One of the more unheralded UFC bromances

Goldentrophy likes this.
  20. Mesos Black Belt

Well that’s assuming he wins, Chiesa has a good chance at it too. If Luque wins Ufc will still offer it to him they don’t care.

If Burns turns it down then hes gonna be sitting on sidelines or have to fight someone alot lower in rankings because everyone else at the top will be tied up

Bend NvR Break and Goldentrophy like this.