Why does Khabib have the undisputed LW belt?

Dana wanted Khabib to have the belt, so he gift wrapped it for him.

It's funny because Alvarez should never have gotten the title shot in the first place; Ferguson was clearly passed over, and was much more deserving of a shot.

I wonder how history woulda played out had Tony been given the shot instead of Alvarez. We saw how Ferguson/RDA played out later that year, and I think he woulda won had they fought earlier. But would Conor have gone up and challenged Ferguson? I think so. Would he have won? Maybe, but it's a much tougher style matchup than Eddie was for Conor.

I wonder what would have happened if dos anjos hadn't hurt his foot and fought mcgregor. Based on how great he looked vs pettis and cerrone, as well as his run leading up to the title, I thought he would finish mc-g within a couple of rounds, however his fight vs alvarez demonstrated he was still liable to get caught in a brawl vs an inferior opponent.

Khabibs belt in the most disputed title in combat sports history with 3 fighters all having claims to it. Undisputed is probably the least applicable term for the LW championship right now.
No, not Conor. Thats ridiculous.
A fair case exists for Tony though.

Conor beat the real champ and was stripped. Tony Ferguson beat Kevin Lee for the interim title. So how does Khabib have the undisputed LW title now after beating up some real estate agent on short notice? Is this the most illegitimate belt ever outside of WMMA?

(His record is also filled with more cans than a recycling center)

Ferguson and Khabib have pretty much the same wins. I'm still waiting to hear why beating Lee is so much better than beating Iaquinta, who literally has a win over him.

His belt is not undisputed. More like an interim champ who got promoted to champ.
Conor is still the lineal LW and FW champ, as much as it hurts people around here, he is.
Anyway, the winner at 229, will be the Lineal Undiputed champ for sure.

His belt is not undisputed. More like an interim champ who got promoted to champ.
Conor is still the lineal LW and FW champ, as much as it hurts people around here, he is.
Anyway, the winner at 229, will be the Lineal Undiputed champ for sure.
and this is , because you said so , right ?

Yeah it was a mistake and shortsighted to strip and give it to Khabib for beating a #11 guy. Going out of your way to hand it to a guy who misses weight or is injured half the time and takes large chunks of the year off because of his backwards beliefs is madness.

His beliefs are madness but yours are good, ok :rolleyes:

No, not Conor. Thats ridiculous.
A fair case exists for Tony though.

As much as I can’t stand him and his title shot was far from earned, he wiped the floor with the rightful champ in a title fight. I don’t like it but he beat the man at the time.

Simply because Khabib whined himself into it. WME is scared of going against his wishes because he can use the victim card at any point considering his background.

because Conor refused to defend that title against rightful contenders. got stripped and the belt was up for grabs.

Conor beat the real champ and was stripped. Tony Ferguson beat Kevin Lee for the interim title. So how does Khabib have the undisputed LW title now after beating up some real estate agent on short notice? Is this the most illegitimate belt ever outside of WMMA?

(His record is also filled with more cans than a recycling center)

Because Tony failed to step up so there was nobody to dispute his claim

I'm not about to sweat over somebody saying he his the undisputed LW champion. Of course it has been a mess but people had been bitching about stripping or not stripping and no need for an interim title and so forth. They nipped all of that crap and the title is where it is. Hopefully all of the involved guys will have fought over the next year and we know who is legitimately the undisputed champion.

people walking around in here like someone who's 26-0 doesn't deserve a belt
To be fair, it's not a reward you get for an arbitrary number of fights undefeated. It's supposed to be the reward for beating the current champion, unless of course that title is vacant.

UFC caused this problem by never formally stripping McGregor of the title, thus making Khabib an illegitimate champion. McGregor - rightly or wrongly, I believe wrongly but nevertheless - was champion when the fight between Khabib and Iaquinta began. Khabib did not beat McGregor yet was awarded his belt. This makes little sense from a procedural perspective.

Because Mcnuggets was too scare of El Cucuy and refused to defend against him.

Back