Why Does Jones Want To Fight DC & Not Gus?

uNpedhR.jpg

Yeah, the second shortest guy he will have ever fought is a much tougher matchup than the tall striker than was able to stop his takedowns.

Yeah, the second shortest guy he will have ever fought is a much tougher matchup than the tall striker than was able to stop his takedowns.
Reductionism isn't the best way to present a good argument. You might as well say that the striker without a wrestling background is a much tougher matchup than the olympic wrestler who knocked out Bigfoot Silva. In both cases, one of the descriptions is dismissive to the point of absurdity.

I think Jones just wanted to send Sherdog spiraling into underrepresented levels of stupidity... and so far it is working. This situation has really brought all of the retards out from the woodwork.

It's his typical prefight "mind games". Jones has been disregarding contenders for awhile now. Not sure how effective that is, but, hey, he's winning fights (on paper anyway).

He has an 11 inch reach advantage over Cormier, and he got really, really badly beat up by Gus last time they fought.

He's calculating that Cormier is an easier fight and that his chances of keeping his belt for longer are better with a fight against DC. From business perspective, the longer he keeps the belt the more solid his goat status will be and the better money he makes from it. Also the longer he delays a rematch with Gus, the better chances there are that someone else or an injury will take care of the guy he now fears.

Pretty simple really.

It's a standoff between Dana and Jones camp. The Ufc determined who Jones would fight and when without discussing anything with Jones first. Then if Jones has the nerve to attempt to take any sort of control over his own life and career, the Ufc in turn will denigrate it's Champion publicly.. Similar to the way they did when Jones refused to fight on 8 days notice.

He wants to fight DC because he wants no part of the man that already beat him! Simple as that.

DC hasn't made Jones bleed from his eyes, ears, nose and mouth and shake.

Jones is a guy who calculates risk a lot, even if it makes him look like a hypocrite. This can be shown in turning down the Sonnen fight initially just to come back and completely murk him later on. Fight anyone, anytime my ass.

Anyways, my point is if he signs the agreement to fight Gus like he originally alluded to, then that means there's a 100% chance he'll be up against the guy who gave him the closest fight of his career. He's literally never been beat up like that and fully admitted to being shook up enough about the Gus fight enough to want a little break and postpone the Texeira fight.

But if he fights DC, then we can presume Gus will pick up another fight against an inferior opponent (compared to Jones). Even if he's the favorite by leaps and bounds, there's still a chance he'll get beat and knocked out of contendership. Even if that chance is 1%, that chance is better than Jones signing to agreement to fight Gus.

It sucks. I think Jones personally feels his reach/fingers-in-the-eyes will work better against DC; Gus simply punched him in the face from that range. I think Jones is still puzzled when he thinks about how Gus stuffed 500 out of 501 of his takedowns, and also took him down himself. I think Jones sees DC as the easier fight, and is willing to take that chance of someone else knocking Gus out of the picture, no matter how temporarily.

And yeah. DC is injured.

He has an 11 inch reach advantage over Cormier, and he got really, really badly beat up by Gus last time they fought.

He's calculating that Cormier is an easier fight and that his chances of keeping his belt for longer are better with a fight against DC. From business perspective, the longer he keeps the belt the more solid his goat status will be and the better money he makes from it. Also the longer he delays a rematch with Gus, the better chances there are that someone else or an injury will take care of the guy he now fears.

Pretty simple really.

Oh damn. You beat me to it, thank you for seeing the light.

Because he doesn't realize how idiotic it looks to passover a rematch that has been hyped and presumed inevitable just to call out an injured fighter who he was dismissive to several months ago. Also, he detests fighting without a reach advantage.

Back