Why does it take so long to get good at BJJ yet...

S

Splatterbeast

people who did wrestling in highschool for a couple of years are just as good as a person who's done BJJ for 5+ years?

ohh splatterbeast.. Ive heard of you but i've never thought I'd get to meet you. Ladies and gentlemen, this is sherdog's troll..

Not trolling guys, I'm a total n00b, I have no problem admitting that.

It would be nice if you guys explained why its so easy to get good at wrestling in such a short amount of time yet seems like it takes years to be "decent" at BJJ?

PS- I'm not exactly a BJJ hater, I actually started taking it lol. Just trying to better understand some things. Thx.

944164-troll_obvious_super.jpg

I'll take some bait. If you're wrestling in high school you're doing it almost every day of the week as opposed to the 2-3 times a week most people spend doing BJJ on average during their post high school lives. Therefore 2-3 times a week for 5 years is less than 5-6 days a week for 3-4 years. Wrestling is just as difficult as BJJ it's just that the circumstances surrounding wrestling force it's practitioners to do it more often in a shorter span of time.

I'll take some bait. If you're wrestling in high school you're doing it almost every day of the week as opposed to the 2-3 times a week most people spend doing BJJ on average during their post high school lives. Therefore 2-3 times a week for 5 years is less than 5-6 days a week for 3-4 years. Wrestling is just as difficult as BJJ it's just that the circumstances surrounding wrestling force it's practitioners to do it more often in a shorter span of time.

So theoretically if I started showing up to BJJ classes 5 times a week and kept practicing I'd get really good within the next couple of years?

I thought I read in another BJJ post on here someone recommended n00bs not do it that frequently cause they might get 'burnt out' etc.?

I thought I read in another BJJ post on here someone recommended n00bs not do it that frequently cause they might get 'burnt out' etc.?

That was me and the guy had never been to a class and wanted to start with 8 classes a week plus open mat time.

Well, I think both systems require a considerable amount of dedication, but here's what I think:

BJJ is predicated on technique, on knowing submissions, positions, concepts, etc. Someone who has superior technical knowledge can submit much larger/ more powerful/ athletic people. The majority of BJJ happens on the mat, but it is inclusive of all phases of grappling; and as I said- the focus is more on the technical chess match.

Wrestling, while involving a great amount of technique & know- how, focus solely on what I believe to be the most physically grueling stage of grappling: takedowns & clinch work. In wrestling, sometimes guys can literally just out- hustle you, and win the conditioning battle; once you're tired, you're done for. That's why such a great emphasis is placed on conditioning & athleticism- because alot of positions in wrestling are battled for using strength, which the stronger man almost always wins.

Therefore, guys who are natural athletes excel more at wrestling, whereas jiu jitsu is more of a thinking man's game, and although it requires a certain amount of athleticism, it favors those who can grasp concepts & learn faster/ better.

That was me and the guy had never been to a class and wanted to start with 8 classes a week plus open mat time.

Well I would want to get my money's worth, I'm probably thinking about going in 3-4 times a week. Would that burn me out? I'm pretty athletic, I lift weights, my cardio is good, etc.

All the images in the beginning of this thread about trolls makes it amazing. Lmfao :icon_chee

Well I would want to get my money's worth, I'm probably thinking about going in 3-4 times a week. Would that burn me out? I'm pretty athletic, I lift weights, my cardio is good, etc.

No that's just about perfect to start out on.

in wrestling 95% of the technique you learn is on how to conrol you opponent, because thats all you gotta do to win a wrestling match.

To win a BJJ match the main emphasis is to submit your opponent. This means that a large portion of BJJ training is geared towards submission techniques, which inturn reduces the amount of time a typical BJJ player will train 'wrestling' (i.e controlling your opponent) technique.

But heres the catch, in a BJJ match it is quite rare to get a submission without first properly controlling your opponent. So if a wrestler and BJJ'er compete in a BJJ match it is obvious the wrestler will have much better takedowns and positional control, it also must be added that from here it is not that uncommon for the wrestler to then struggle to submit the BJJ'er due to the lack of training in the submission side of the BJJ game.

The only reason the wrestler is 'just as good with less training' than the BJJ'er is because its possible to win a BJJ match on points by controlling your opponent until time runs out.

umm you should learn to read.

i appreciate the advice but what made you think i had never been to a class?
i currently train judo 4 times a week,bjj once mma once and train for and play rugby. a game of rugby is like competing in a tournament as far as the toll on your body.

mat time and competition, competition and mat time.

5 days a week training, some for 4 seasons or more some guys compete year round. Try it with your BJJ and see how good you get. Also even if you are a "lazy" wrestler you still get 3 to 4 months of intense 5 day per week training and between 30-50 matches per year depending on the match formats.

Also if you are basing good based on a belt versus competition then you are misguided!

You might not know every takedown, counter, pin, escape or reversal but you can know a few of each and be REALLY good at them and be considered "good". By nature you look to a rank with BJJ but consider to earn that brown belt you have to be comfortable with most everything but that does not mean the purple belt down the road with the wicked takedown and guard passing game cannot beat him in a competition.

Lloyd Irvin's guys are a good example, they get really really good at a certain part of their game and they kill at competition. Over time they piece together the rest but they are good very very early due to the specialization of their own "game" so to speak.

You want to be our human guinea pig? Train BJJ 5 days a week and focus ONLY on your top game and takedowns do about 20 comps a year along with that and see if you are not a sunufabitch to sweep and sub when you are on top after about 3-4 years.

This cup of coffee I'm drinking is lackluster. We really need a new machine. I'm sick of having to go to Starbucks for a decent cup that will wake me up. Maybe I should switch to green tea exclusively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back