why does Hillary Clinton have such staggering support amongst black Americans?

Wow, didn't realize HRC went full BLM in her defeat speech from New Hampshire until I saw the highlights on Hannity. I don't know why it should surprise me. She would say or do anything to get to the White House. Total pandering.

So whatever happened with Bernie getting that rapper to endorse him, and it was going to magically give him the black vote? Some guy from Atlanta I think.

hi all,

85 posts in this thread, and the best rationale folks have come up with for Mrs. Clinton's overwhelming favorable polling among black americans is that she has greater name recognition.

some posters have wanted to discuss why Mr. Sanders is not also viewed favorably - which i guess is interesting - but its also very much besides the point.

- IGIT

Looks like he's well aware of the deficiency and is trying his best to remedy it.
Not sure if the name dropping and acknowledgement of BLM will be enough though.

Did anyone else think it was hilarious that Bernie was filmed shooting hoops after his win in New Hampshire in an obvious attempt to appeal to the black voters he was getting ready to woo?

Did anyone else think it was hilarious that Bernie was filmed shooting hoops after his win in New Hampshire in an obvious attempt to appeal to the black voters he was getting ready to woo?

Not bad for a 74 year old!

I've also wondered about this. It does seem strange to vote against ones own interests.

Young voters are the most informed because of internet. You can immediately jump in and fact-check everything Hillary claims. Hillary is popular amongst older generations who still use TV as their main source of information. How many supporters would change their mind after reading Hillary opposed gay until 2013, supported TPP and called it the "gold standard", supported the XL pipeline, supported the Iraq war, etc. With the internet you can't bullshit people like in the good old days.

Plenty of people still oppose gay marriage. Plenty of people support TPP, the XL pipeline, etc.

Your post embodies my point - your post assumes that the informed voter would reach the same conclusions that you laid out. But it's perfectly logical for the informed religious Democrat to still oppose gay marriage. It's perfectly logical for people who perceive an economic benefit to themselves to support the TPP and the XL pipeline. Or to support those things to support others who would benefit from them. There's simply no reason to believe conclusively that all informed people would agree on those issues or any other issues.

hiya there Pan,

maybe others have made that case, but i certainly haven't.

i'm just curious why Mrs. Clinton has an 80% approval rating among black Americans.

- IGIT

The answer is in my post. On the national stage, Clinton has far more name recognition than Sanders does. Clinton has strong public relationships with Bill Clinton and Barack Obama. Sanders doesn't. They both claim they'll help the black demographic but where's the legislative track record that promotes one above the other? On that alone, it's not surprising that Clinton would retain the loyalty of B.Clinton and Obama supporters until Sanders actually makes a compelling effort to persuade them directly.

Name recognition is 50% of getting elected. The other 50% is getting people to the actual polls. Policy is only important to the extent that it increases the positivity of your popularity or more importantly doesn't increase the negativity enough to cost you votes. Case Study: Donald Trump who has promoted no policy ideas but has increased his brand recognition while Rand Paul who has plenty of policy ideas has seen his brand fail due to inferior popularity.

Last edited:
She's married to a brother, so there's that. He did pretty okay.

A large percentage of the black population hates Jews.

farrakhan820.png

The answer is in my post. On the national stage, Clinton has far more name recognition than Sanders does. Clinton has strong public relationships with Bill Clinton and Barack Obama. Sanders doesn't.

This is basically it. Obama has about a 90% approval rating among Democrats and a 90% approval rating among blacks of all political affiliations, and since Biden isn't running, Clinton is seen and promoting herself as the "third Obama term" candidate. That's the reason she's winning overall and especially among groups that particularly like Obama. It's no big mystery, but IGIT is asking the question to a group of people who are particularly down on both Clinton and blacks.

This is basically it. Obama has about a 90% approval rating among Democrats and a 90% approval rating among blacks of all political affiliations, and since Biden isn't running, Clinton is seen and promoting herself as the "third Obama term" candidate. That's the reason she's winning overall and especially among groups that particularly like Obama. It's no big mystery, but IGIT is asking the question to a group of people who are particularly down on both Clinton and blacks.

hi and good afternoon Jack,

this, from wiki;

Polling conducted in August 2011 by Public Policy Polling found that Sanders's approval rating was 67% and his disapproval rating 28%, making him then the third-most popular senator in the country.

Both the NAACP and the NHLA have given Sanders 100% voting scores during his tenure in the Senate.

you're probably right in saying that Mrs. Clinton is getting most of her traction due to the reality that she served in the Obama cabinet and she's seen as running for a 3rd term for the current POTUS.

i also think its fair for you to say that most on Sherdog have an antagonistic view of Mrs. Clinton - though i do not think its fair to say folks on the forum (or in this thread) are "down on blacks".

none of that, though, explains the hugely positive view black americans have of her. why are their numbers disproportionate with other ethnic groups?

- IGIT

Last edited:
you're probably right in saying that Mrs. Clinton is getting most of her traction due to the reality that she served in the Obama cabinet and she's seen as running for a 3rd term for the current POTUS.

i also think its fair for you to say that most on Sherdog have an antagonistic view of Mrs. Clinton - though i do not think its fair to say folks on the forum (or in this thread) are "down on blacks".

none of that, though, explains the hugely positive view black americans have of her.

What part are you not understanding? And get out of here with the suggestion that the WR doesn't have an unusual amount of anti-black sentiment.

What part are you not understanding? And get out of here with the suggestion that the WR doesn't have an unusual amount of anti-black sentiment.

hi JVS,

i added an additional sentence that i hoped would clarify my question;

why are their (black americans, that is) numbers disproportionate with other ethnic groups, in terms of their statistically favorable view on Mrs. Clinton?

and honestly, i don't see the WR as having an unusual amount of anti-black sentiment. most people seem to be pretty progressive in their views on race, with the exception of a few cases of Islamic paranoia.

- IGIT

hi JVS,

i added an additional sentence that i hoped would clarify my question;

why are their (black americans, that is) numbers disproportionate with other ethnic groups, in terms of their statistical favorable view on Mrs. Clinton?

Oh, OK. Obama has about a 90% approval rating among Democrats and a 90% approval rating among blacks of all political affiliations, and since Biden isn't running, Clinton is seen and promoting herself as the "third Obama term" candidate. That's the reason she's winning overall and especially among groups that particularly like Obama.

Hope that helps!

and honestly, i don't see the WR as having an unusual amount of anti-black sentiment. most people seem to be pretty progressive in their views on race, with the exception of a few cases of Islamic paranoia.

LOL!

Back