why does Hillary Clinton have such staggering support amongst black Americans?

I wasn't challenging the idea that blacks/Hispanics are less tuned into politics than whites. I have no idea if it's true.

My point was that even if it's true it doesn't mean that they'd support Sanders even if they were better informed. It's a weird way answer a political question - "If those people were better informed, they would agree with me on this subject." Unless you're being sarcastic and I'm over reacting.

Young voters are the most informed because of internet. You can immediately jump in and fact-check everything Hillary claims. Hillary is popular amongst older generations who still use TV as their main source of information. How many supporters would change their mind after reading Hillary opposed gay until 2013, supported TPP and called it the "gold standard", supported the XL pipeline, supported the Iraq war, etc. With the internet you can't bullshit people like in the good old days.

Can you give me an example? I've only seem him address issues from a structuralist perspective.

Huh? I just said he hasn't because I have heard zero mentions of him talking about those things.

Challenging the War on Drugs is a modern platform than even members of the GOP support. The same with the Prison industrial Complex. Legal reform is still more of a Dem thing.

Nothing against Sanders, I'm no voting for either Democrat but these are same talking points that everyone is already talking about. Just 2 articles talking about the growing bipartisan support for the first 2 points.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/19/opinion/liu-prison-reform/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-piper/war-on-drugs-bipartisan-consensus_b_8311920.html

This is good. Eight years ago it was pretty much Ron Paul and fringe far-lefties pushing this policy reforms.

Huh? I just said he hasn't because I have heard zero mentions of him talking about those things.

OK, grammar issue. I thought you were saying he hasn't avoided Identity Politics.

Young voters are the most informed because of internet. You can immediately jump in and fact-check everything Hillary claims. Hillary is popular amongst older generations who still use TV as their main source of information. How many supporters would change their mind after reading Hillary opposed gay until 2013, supported TPP and called it the "gold standard", supported the XL pipeline, supported the Iraq war, etc. With the internet you can't bullshit people like in the good old days.

Ha

Okay what about Ron Paul? Youth widely supported him. And yet every intellectual or most voters polled who had real jobs were against Ron Paul. What does that say?

Do you really want to play this game? Youth vote is not a great thing they hardly even show up and have not even fullt developed minds. Everyone on this site who is older can tell you how dumb they were when they were young (so they say). So I fail to see how using a generation whose mind is shaped by the lastest shinny toy is somehow a standard. Oh and come find me when we should hand the presidency over to 20 year Olds.

hi nixkid,

Maybe Bernie has done a shitty job reaching out?

maybe. its certainly possible.

They also thought it would be a good idea to lecture black people about what is good for black people while completely dismissing what these young activists feel is important. And they did so with very crappy arguments like "Bernie marched for civil rights in the 1960s" as if an action done 50 years ago is relevant enough to earn a vote today. These were bad ideas.

if you want to discount Sanders' record on civil rights in the 50's and 60's, i find that kind of peculiar. if you're ignorant of his record, that's fine...but if you're aware of it and still dismiss it, that seems strange to me.

taking a stand on those issues during such a tumultuous time is what matters, just like taking a stand (the correct one) on the Iraq war in 2003 is what matters...not revising one's stance a decade later and offering a mea culpa.

at any rate, he's also opposed welfare reform in the 90's...been very critical of sentencing guidelines which have sent generations of black americans to prison...achieved a 97% rating from the NAACP in 2006...and endorsed Jesse Jackson in 1998.

Another issue is Bernie's stance on reparations. Its fine to be against reparations but his response to the question is simply dumbfounding. He says he's against it because it would be impossible to get through Congress.

that's not quite the whole story. here's Mr. Sanders on the issue of reparations;

No, I don’t think so. First of all, its likelihood of getting through Congress is nil. Second of all, I think it would be very divisive. The real issue is when we look at the poverty rate among the African American community, when we look at the high unemployment rate within the African American community, we have a lot of work to do.

So I think what we should be talking about is making massive investments in rebuilding our cities, in creating millions of decent paying jobs, in making public colleges and universities tuition-free, basically targeting our federal resources to the areas where it is needed the most and where it is needed the most is in impoverished communities, often African American and Latino.

where's Mrs. Clinton on reparations? where is President Obama...more to the point, where were they on this issue in 2008?

His entire platform is impossible to get through Congress so it comes off as hollow political doublespeak from a wavering politician that is too afraid to say that he is against it but also too afraid to say he supports it.

you're the first person i've ever heard describe Mr. Sanders as wavering.

that's interesting.

Most of what he's done since has been 90% pandering and 10% policy. Now the same can be said of Clinton but she's the presumptive nominee. If you want to pry votes away from the default choice then you have to give people a reason. He's done a wonderful job of that with young, white liberals but he's got some work to do with everyone else.

he's done a wonderful job with white Democrats who are under 40. i find it funny that so many pundits consider 40 "young". its the other side of middle age.

i don't know that i'd consider Mr. Sanders to be pandering...if so, his message has remained essentially unchanged for decades. Mrs. Clinton, though, has certainly found her left leaning roots over the past few months.

i don't know.

your post was forcefully written, but it really doesn't explain why so many black folks support Mrs. Clinton.

- IGIT

Last edited:
The amount of reference to anecdote is fucking staggering.

"The youth voters are not the most politically informed because a lot of youths supported Ron Paul and every intellectual or most voters polled who had real jobs were against Ron Paul"

Fucking seriously? That's your basis?

If you don't think that voters aged 18-40 are far more knowledgeable than 40+, then you aren't being honest with yourself.

hiya there Pan,

It seems fairly obvious. Hilary Clinton has strong name recognition with 2 Presidents that black America supported against the GOP.

The "low information" and "disengaged" angle implies that given more information black Americans would overwhelmingly decide to side with Sanders.

maybe others have made that case, but i certainly haven't.

i'm just curious why Mrs. Clinton has an 80% approval rating among black Americans.

- IGIT

And here we go. Some people just can't handle any criticism of Bernie. It's weird.

Throwing out your listed repeated talking points about how all Black people NEED to Vote Bernie and to hell with them if they dont. Calm down and sssshhhhhh because I am sick of seeing this blatant racist behavior from alleged white 'liberals'. And again I am not the only one to notice this. It's all over the Internet and I posted 1 link of a smart black guy being viciously attacked by Bernie Bros from daring to criticize Bernie.

And lastly I am not parading around the Internet like a moron telling black people how they should vote. Furthermore, I am nor are any Clinton fans running around the Internet telling them that we know what's best for them. All I stress is that people think from themselves.

Oh I also like how you mention the "he marched with civil rights" as if that somehow means black voters are obligatigated to vote for him. Or you acting like all black people have issues with the existence of prisons.

Interesting that me taking any position in defense of Sanders, is considered by you, to mean that I can take no criticism of Sanders.

What you are doing is refusing to take a position on why the black community supports Clinton today.

So again I ask, what is your explanation SOA?

hiya SOA,

Youth vote is not a great thing they hardly even show up and have not even fullt developed minds.

...but...isn't this the first Presidential election that you're old enough to vote in? i mean, aren't you part of the youth vote yourself?

Everyone on this site who is older can tell you how dumb they were when they were young (so they say).

wait a minute, lol. just a few posts ago you were slagging on Mr. Sanders for being an "old white guy", weren't you?

you need to slow down a bit. maybe take a nap in your dormroom or go to the cafeteria and get yourself a Coke or a coffee.

you're all over the place here...and you still haven't even answered the OP. you've just got this massive, teenaged hardon for Sanders supporters and its making you seem unhinged, my friend.

- IGIT

They like HIllary because black people like Bill.

Blacks probably don't like white northeasterners as much. Maybe cause it's a different culture. And Hillary can change her accent right on the spot. She can get that Southern hospitality and southern accent going and some people fall for it.

hi ripskater,

who knows?

maybe you're on to something.

born in Chicago, educated at Yale...just a good 'ol southern girl.

- IGIT

hi ripskater,

who knows?

maybe you're on to something.

born in Chicago, educated at Yale...just a good 'ol southern girl.

- IGIT

Weird video, couldn't find the original; just watch the beginning, lulz.

Weird video, couldn't find the original; just watch the beginning, lulz.

hi Anung,

oh jesus...

yuck.

i wish Mrs. Clinton wouldn't do this. its not just her, either. i find it nauseating when any politician does this kind of stuff.

- IGIT

Ha

Okay what about Ron Paul? Youth widely supported him. And yet every intellectual or most voters polled who had real jobs were against Ron Paul. What does that say?

Do you really want to play this game? Youth vote is not a great thing they hardly even show up and have not even fullt developed minds. Everyone on this site who is older can tell you how dumb they were when they were young (so they say). So I fail to see how using a generation whose mind is shaped by the lastest shinny toy is somehow a standard. Oh and come find me when we should hand the presidency over to 20 year Olds.

Aren't you a young college guy?

She panders pretty hard to them apologizing for saying "all lives matter". Whats so hard to see here?

I don't see how you can group black people together especially in this instance.

Economic status, part of the country, religion, diligence, ignorance, all the same factors are at play.

This isn't so small a group that there's some simple answer to the question

Back