Why does everyone pretend Buakaw didn't beat Petrosyan in his prime?

Buakaw vs Sato
Forgot about that, people did seriously think it was a dive based on how Buakaw went down, but really it was a knee to the liver that did it and set up the shot up top. Huge threads arguing that topic, just like the Gevorg Petrosyan vs Buakaw Draw.

I think most people here though Petch won

From what I remember at the time, everyone was saying they thought petrosyan won. Some said he was robbed, others were saying it was close but they had him up on the scorecards. From memory this was pretty much while watching it live and straight after. My memory is shit though....so you may well be right

You may even say there was a consensus that thought Petch won here...
From what I remember at the time, everyone was saying they thought petrosyan won. Some said he was robbed, others were saying it was close but they had him up on the scorecards. From memory this was pretty much while watching it live and straight after. My memory is shit though....so you may well be right
Round by round LIVE commentary by f42:
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/one-enter-the-dragon-fw-gp.3941085/page-5

Discussion about the NC:
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/giorgio-petrosyan-recent-loss-overturned-as-nc.3961595/

This was the one I remember reading. Thanks for digging it out. Looking back. You called the result. But it's pretty much how I remembered. Some people saying it was a robbery and some people saying it was close. There are a couple that scored for Petch, so wasn't quite as unanimous for Petro as I remember. But it seems most people on the discussion thought that petrosyan had won. I personally remember thinking while watching it that petch should get a point deducted for stalling with the holding onto the clinch. And thought petrosyan won the desision on points via the kickboxing scoring system. But I wasn't mad at the result

That's like saying Jon Jones didn't beat Matt Hamill and the reality is Matt Hamill won. Or that Roy Jones JR lost that Olympic final.

There's what is the official outcome of a fight and what is the reality of how the two fighters performed as seen by millions. Let's not pretend bad decisions don't happen in combat sports.
They do all the time, not what I’m saying.

Buakaw vs Sato

Interesting. I never heard that some people considered it a dive.
I definitely can't imagine Buakaw taking a dive to a Jap, especially considering how he embarrassed them so many times before starting in 2004 with Takayuki Kohiruimaki and Masato.

It's definitely ironical to speak about the supposedly "incessant crying and moaning" of Buakaw fans while the other fighter in question in his thread has far more of those crying and moaning delusional fans. Proof at hand is that for every Petrosyan loss or draw they have excuses for them happening. "He got poisoned", "he had a broken hand", "his opponent was probably cheating with tempered gloves because his gloves were tempered with in another fight", "his opponent cheated with too much clinch and knee", and so on.

While Petrosyan's fans are definitely not the main reason for which the Pethmorakot decision was overturned, and as you rightly pointed out more due to it benefiting ONE FC first and foremost, it's ignorant to pretend that the hundreds if not thousands of crying comments from Petrosyan fans on social media on all posts covering the topic had no influence at all in reinforcing that decision.

But out of all the other points made in my response, you chose to focus on the word "ironical" and try to make it sound as if I said that it's just Petrosyan's fans that got ONE FC to overturn the Phetmorakot decision. Petrosyan's camp started the drama, it had tons of follow-up by his fans on social media and then ONE FC conveniently overturned the decision since it was also in their best interest.

I just don't see Buakaw or his fans finding excuses for every one of his losses or draws like it happens with Petrosyan and his fans every single time.
As already stated above, Buakaw fans either outright deny his losses/draws, like this very thread, or invent their own reasons for why Sato kneeing his guts into jelly was a conspiracy by the Japanese. His fanbase is and always has been far larger than Petrosyan's - and far more vocal in their fanaticism. To deny that is to deny reality, I won't stop you though.

As already stated above, Buakaw fans either outright deny his losses/draws, like this very thread, or invent their own reasons for why Sato kneeing his guts into jelly was a conspiracy by the Japanese. His fanbase is and always has been far larger than Petrosyan's - and far more vocal in their fanaticism. To deny that is to deny reality, I won't stop you though.

I'm only going by what I've seen and read, but I'll also admit that I'm not much of a social media user and I didn't follow KB forums before 2010. So it sounds like both have salty fans, just like most big names in combat sports to be fair.

Awesome I figured there was a way. Unfortunately this ends at 2006 so before the fights with Petrosyan and Sato. It doesn't seem to be able to get into the threads anyways.

Yeah it's a great site but it tends to only capture the most visited pages, so for forums it's not the ideal as it doesn't go deep into the threads.

It works great for other sites that have gone down though, for example:
https://web.archive.org/web/20200415034114/https://www.muaythaischolar.com/

Noobs were overrepresented among those

Quite possibly, but I'm not too familiar with the members to judge. I thought it was a close fight, win for petrosyan, but far from a robbery.

Point I was making though. How can people be upset about the injustice of a draw in one breath, then moan about an injustice being overturned into a no contest in their next.

To understand the buakaw draw, or the Petch win. A full understanding of the scoring criteria would need to be fully understood, rather than basing it on muay Thai scoring, etc.

With the Petch fight, I had been on a ISKA reffing course shortly before it, so the scoring under that context was pretty fresh in my mind, and I remember watching feeling that Petch was breaking the rules throughout the 2nd and 3rd.

But it was also down to the ref to sort out at the time. Is it bad that they reviewed and overturned...probably. Was the conclusion of the review accurate...most definitely. (although I still think it shouldn't of been overturned)

Quite possibly, but I'm not too familiar with the members to judge. I thought it was a close fight, win for petrosyan, but far from a robbery
Well not only on the forums but in general. I noticed that people that follow kickboxing mostly said "close fight , but could have gone either way" or something along the lines. I doubt the ones who said "clear robbery against Petrosyan" have tried to understand kickboxing scoring beyond their own opinion of who should have won.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back