Why does Cyborg have to....(Rousey dodging)

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by nutts, Sep 1, 2015.

1. nutts

nutts Blue Belt

Why does Dana keep saying that she has to fight once at 135 before a title shot with Rousey? To me it seems that Dana is doing everything he can.... not to have this fight. Ronda is somewhat dodging Cyborg to an extent as well.

If Rousey wanted that fight, she would say lets do it at any weight, anytime, I don't care. Who gives a shit if she weighs 145. Instead she keeps fighting opponents WAY BELOW her skill level.

Holly Holm? C'mon. If it were a stand up fight only maybe...but this isn't even gonna be a fight. Everyone knows this. The bethe fight was a joke. Only legit opponent out there is Cyborg. I think if Carrano got back in and seriously trained for a year straight and got a couple fights under her... she would give her a run for her money. Meisha can also make an interesting fight with Ronda, but thats it.

I just don't understand why Cyborg HAS to fight at 135 ONCE before she gets a shot at Rousey. Rousey needs to WOMAN up, and call Cyborg out, no matter the weight, past PED use, etc. Fight an opponent at your level. That is all. End rant.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  2. SchlomoS

SchlomoS Purple Belt

"Everything he can not to have this fight"

When he's publicly stated multiple times that the fight is hers whenever she shows good faith. Dana White is wrong alot of the time but not this time. It's so easy to understand and yet you don't understand it.

3. nutts

nutts Blue Belt

I understand it. What is the point in having Cyborg fight at 135 once before Rousey. Multiple fighters in the past have went straight to title shots? There is no point in having her fight once before Rousey.

4. SchlomoS

SchlomoS Purple Belt

because she. is. gigantic.? have you seen a picture of her?

ideally this fight would not take place at 135, but its impossible for anyone to really believe she can make 135 on the night without evidence that she has done it before. Signing up to the bout and showing up at 145 will probably get the fight cancelled.

5. dmtpanic

dmtpanic Brown Belt

Cyborg is scared to fight R3 without the advantages she gained from using.

Her first pro fight she looked a natural woman and lost. Ever since then she has looked like a female transitioning to male and has not lost since.

She's been ducking 135 forever as that's traditionally where the best female talent has been competing.

6. Rum

Rum Champion of Champions

Because it'd be dumb as fuck to set up a title shot with someone who hasn't yet proven they can make the weight.

DC had to take fights at 205 to get Jones. KenFlo had to fight at 145 before he got Aldo. It's just smart business.

7. everysecond

everysecond Purple Belt

look back at the other 8 million threads about this SAME topic and gain your points from them. This thread gets made everyday. same replies. nothing new here.

8. McGrubie

McGrubie Brown Belt

9. MMA_Fan

MMA_Fan Brown Belt

You don't understand the business side of things. Let's say for a second that RR jumps up to 145, and Cyborg beats her. Then what happens? Then you have a paper champ for the Women's division because RR has been beaten, and there are no other fighters at 145. The goal here is to maintain the legitimacy of WMMA in the UFC. If your champion loses, but stays in place because the woman who beat her can't make weight, that there is a loss of credibility.Then you would have Cyborg running around making sure everybody knows she is the true champion even though she can't make 135. The 135 division would become a joke.

10. nutts

nutts Blue Belt

I more than understand the business side of things bro. I'm saying as a fight fan I want to see this fight. And I'm also saying that Rousey isn't itching to fight her. If she was, she'd be saying lets do this thing, i dont care about weight. I know that it would be bad if she moved up and lost, the legitimacy of her belt would be diminished. However, they have done this before with Anderson Silva. He fought multiple times at LHW, or atleast twice that i remember with Irvin and Forrest.

HW's fight each other all the time with big weight discrepancy. Several fighters have fought above their weight before and didn't give a shit.

I think Rousey is more worried about keeping a perfect record and going undefeated and retiring rather than fighting the best contender out there. If she had the BJ Penn mentality, she'd say fuck it I'll fight her at whatever weight. Sure, Dana wouldn't let that happen, but you don't see Rousey jumping at fighting Cyborg at any weight either.

11. suffersystem

suffersystem Brown Belt

You should be more pissed at Cyborg then for avoiding the fight. She's the one who has instead of trying to get to 135, decided to ask out of her contract, then actualy gain weight, all the while bitching about fighting Ronda.
    Now she has signed another contract, and still bitches about fighting Ronda. If she had made the weight the fight would have already happened two years ago.

12. CRuck1980

CRuck1980 Gold Belt

It doesn't matter what mentality she has, the ufc says the fight has to happen at 135. They have no reason to move from that position while Cyborg has every reason to acquiesce

13. IngaVovchanchyn

IngaVovchanchyn Titanium Belt Platinum Member

The UFC wants Cyborg at 135 permanently. By promising her a big money fight in a situation that would call for her to make weight at 135 twice, they increase their odds of her staying at bantamweight.

If Cyborg beats Rousey at 135, the UFC wants her to become the new dominant champ and it sets up a huge rematch.

If Cyborg loses, it sets up a lot of interesting fights between her and the top five bantamweights: Tate, Zingano, Nunes, Holm, etc.

Unfortunately, Cyborg is worth nothing to the UFC at 145, which is why they are so intransigent about this fight being at 135.

14. IBack666

IBack666 Blue Belt

Right, it had nothing to do with it being her 1st fight and it was completely because she was not on roids.

15. Gunny

Gunny Gold Belt

Not only is your question completely self-evident, it's been answered literally thousands of times on this forum. TBH if you're still asking it, it's because you don't want to know the answer.

16. nutts

nutts Blue Belt

You're right.... I don't think Cyborg has done much to deserve the fight. My point is, is that Ronda isnt exactly begging for the fight. I hope Cyborg does make the weight. However, I don't see the need to make her fight once at 135 that just delays things. I understand the logic because they want to know that she can make 135....but if she's gonna miss weight, shes gonna miss it regardless of whether she can make it the weight once or not.

17. MMA_Fan

MMA_Fan Brown Belt

If you understand the business side, then do you understand that if this fight undermines the legitimacy of the division, then WMMA could be completely gone from the UFC? Is one fight worth that? I really want to see this fight too, but not at the expense of everything else. Dana White has made it clear that WMMA is only in the UFC because of RR. If the public loses interested because they feel she is a paper champion, and then Cyborg can never get down to 135, then WMMA could get scrapped. I'll pass.

18. nutts

nutts Blue Belt

Fair enough. I agree.

19. MMA_Fan

MMA_Fan Brown Belt

:cool:

20. BROKENSPROKET

BROKENSPROKET just lurkin

@1:05:15 It goes for about 8-9 minutes, then they go on to talk about the IV re-hydration ban.
    [YT]AL2ampi5uqs[/YT]