1. Guest, The MS Paint Shoop Thread v5 is up! Red Block» | Blue Block»

Why does BJ Penn get so much praise?

Discussion in 'The Lightweights' started by elcj, Sep 10, 2018.

1. elcj Green Belt

I remember watching him back in the day and he was a guy who would be hyped to death, but lose half his fights.

I was reading a thread claiming Hughes is greater than Woodley, because Hughes beat Penn in his prime, but what does that even prove? Woodley would have smashed him to pieces too.

2. Evangelion Gold Belt

Hes wa overhyped. Yes hes an all time great but his relevancy at WW is vastly overrated and when he was champ many of the world's best lws fought in other orgs.

3. Zebra Cheeks 2Cheeks Staff Member Senior Moderator

He was one of the first guys to be a champ in multiple weight classes and really have the "I'll fight anyone at any weight class" mentality. Despite a lack of dedication he generally had a very well rounded game for his time.

Now? Most of his accomplishments have been trumped but at the time it was a big deal

4. Zebra Cheeks 2Cheeks Staff Member Senior Moderator

I'd argue he build a foundation for guys like Mcgregor though

5. JabToucher Banned Banned

I always wished he had stayed fighting at lightweight and took less damage. I know the UFC lost the light weight division for a while though.

6. Nip Tickler Blue Belt

Because fighters are more than their records

7. thewilks Blue Belt

Word on the street has always been that Penn never trained hard, except for the handful of fights where he had the title and was shitting on everyone. If he had trained like that and taken it more seriously it would be reflected in his record.

He had natural gifts, not only with BJJ, but if anyone caught GSP on the JRE, GSP said that BJ had the fastest reaction time ever in the UFC, faster than Anderson if you break it down frame for frame. As someone else mentioned.

His fight anyone attitude is a huge factor as well. Sure, Conor has moved up to fight light weights, but what if Conor said, fuck it I'll move up and fight guys that fight at 205? BJ actually did that against Machida, and he while he didn't win, he didn't get finished either. He's a madman.

8. JosephTessaro Red Belt

BJ was kind of ahead of his time. Great striking, great take down defense, great submissions, a complete fighter. Won the WW strap and LW strap. Fought anyone.

BJ just didn't have the work ethic, fighters evolved and here we are today. BJ is making his umpteenth return against Ryan Hall.

9. Xaero Brown Belt

When BJ fought, you're in for a good time.

Win or lose. Always exciting to watch. Before tippy toe penn happened anyway.

10. sabretitan Black Belt

Because you are a noob and don't appreciate his career. . Is normal bud

11. computer fogie Gold Belt

In his LW prime, he was one of the most skilled and well rounded fighters in the world.

12. TomTomNT Brown Belt

He fought anyone at any time in an era where title shots were not gifted because you looked pretty or could talk the most trash, he fought a bunch of savages and took no short cuts.... Moved up in weight before it was the popular thing to do, and fought savages in other weight class... He is a legend, someone who fought and is fighting past his prime and therefore ruining his record, but any true person who actually knows and been watching MMA for a long time beyond Conor Mcgriddle era, knows BJ is one of the best P4P period.

13. BoxingMMA Brown Belt

Because of his first fight. When he fought Caol Uno everyone was like OMG THIS GUY! QUICK KO AND RAN OUT OF THE CAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but they don't remember he couldn't beat Caol in a rematch. He lost a lot, was inconsistency, didn't take things seriously and simply never lived up to the hype.