Why Does a Disproportionate Number of Good Fighters Come From Tiny, Isolated, Low-Population Hawaii?

UFC mainly represents US fighters.
Hawai is the US state.
There were 2 fighters of note - BJ and Max.
On a per-capita basis, it's still pretty unusual to have 2 GOAT caliber fighters come out of a state as small as Hawaii, isn't it?

I mean if you found a half dozen champs from New York State that wouldn't necessarily be a surprise.

Volcano infused water, look itnto it.
DlK-v1ZU8AAuXez.jpg

There is this thing called "Island tameness", I guess it doesn't apply to humans lol.

Spent a year there, going out to drink brings dangers, the potential for violence is high, usually predicated around racism for us haole’s
Everywhere has racism no matter how sly the media/news outlets love to slide it under the rug. In Hawaii it's no different, but from my experiences the violence towards Haoles isn't solely based on the color of your skin it's mostly based on ones attitude they act towards the locals. Haoles from the Mainland U.S that vacation or move to Hawaii usually fit in just fine, it's a respect thing. If you go around thinkin your the shit, being a asshole and having no respect for ones culture and people your going get in a lot of altercations & fights. Hawaii has the highest interacial relationships in the U.S. In the end it's all about respect that is all.

I have family friends that moved to Hawaii from California for work. They are moving back to the mainland because all the kids want to do is fight. Their son is having a heck of a time in school because of it. It is in the blood and culture to want to kick peoples asses for fun. It is part of becoming a man over there, weather it is over waves, girls, or they just don't like how you look. I've vacationed there many times and can count at least a few times over the years where I almost got my ass handed to me by a mean looking SOB for simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
True. That’s how it was when I was there. Not only they’re violence prone but they’re very limited, simple minded people. Can’t imagine having your kids growing up among them. There’s a lot of doing nothing going on because there’s really nothing to do.

Polynesians, no just Hawaiians, have an exceptionnaly robust constitution due to natural selection. They are extremely well represented in combat sports and rugby.
They also have a culture of street fight and brawls.
I watched a documentary from the french legion sleection a while ago, and the applicants have to do combat test, basically figthing another applicant in a ring. The instructors were saying that polynesians were exceptionnaly gifted for combat, with a unique mix of strength, chin and toughness.

Anyone who has met Samoans/pacific islanders in general knows what's up.

These aren't your average humans and your average human would get fucked up real bad tangling with one of them.

Spent a year there, going out to drink brings dangers, the potential for violence is high, usually predicated around racism for us haole’s

Racism from who towards who? Just curious.

Edit: I just looked up what a haole is, so I get it now. Did you know there was/is a thing called “kill haole day” at schools where they bully and harass the white kids? Some say it’s a myth though, hopefully.

Last edited:
This has seemed to happen wherever cannibalism is a common practice. It tends to weed out the weak (because they become food) and so it speeds up the process of natural selection at the cost of social cohesion.
Interesting about the dynamics that exist on islands. Not only it’s extremely biased toward physical strength and size but brains doesn’t seem to be a factor.

Polynesians, no just Hawaiians, have an exceptionnaly robust constitution due to natural selection. They are extremely well represented in combat sports and rugby.
They also have a culture of street fight and brawls.
I watched a documentary from the french legion sleection a while ago, and the applicants have to do combat test, basically figthing another applicant in a ring. The instructors were saying that polynesians were exceptionnaly gifted for combat, with a unique mix of strength, chin and toughness.
send the doc brother !

This has seemed to happen wherever cannibalism is a common practice. It tends to weed out the weak (because they become food) and so it speeds up the process of natural selection at the cost of social cohesion.
I don't think cannibalism is the reason, it was never at a large scale, more like a ceremonial thing. Most likely, cruising the oceans for thousands of miles on tiny boats has operated a unique natural selection. They have remarkably borad ans sturdy feet, which could also be an evolutionary feat for stability on boats.
As a side effect, they are also genetically predisposed for obesity.

Anyone who has met Samoans/pacific islanders in general knows what's up.

These aren't your average humans and your average human would get fucked up real bad tangling with one of them.
Yeah, you search the words tahiti+fights on youtube, you'll find a shitloads of streetfight videos (crazy for a 300k population)and they are nor just bitchslapping each other.
Those guys are not just strongs, they are meatheads who like to fight and fight all the time.

send the doc brother !
It was an old one, and actually not sure if it was for the legion or the GIGN (elite swat unit in France).
I just remember an instructor commenting briefly the fight test, saying something about polynesians being special.

I don't think cannibalism is the reason, it was never at a large scale, more like a ceremonial thing. Most likely, cruising the oceans for thousands of miles on tiny boats has operated a unique natural selection. They have remarkably borad ans sturdy feet, which could also be an evolutionary feat for stability on boats.
As a side effect, they are also genetically predisposed for obesity.
I’d think long ocean voyages favor smaller men. Most of the European sailors are on the smaller size. It’s more comfortable to move around on boats if you’re small. Or may be fat people survive starvation better? So fatness is good on long voyages and islands? It seems any kind of island has some periods of cannibalism because when food runs out that’s what you do.

When people dug up places like Easter Island and Greenland they found animal bones at the deeper levels and human bones at the higher levels: they ate animals until they ran out and started eating humans. Who knows what these islanders have been thru

Those guys are not just strongs, they are meatheads who like to fight and fight all the time.
The propensity for fighting has to do with IQ. I’m not talking about the “take over the world”, “conquest” type of mindset but just constantly scrapping everyday over everything.

When you take someone with a propensity toward violence, the lower the IQ the more he will want to scrap. The common criminals in and out of jail vs the criminal masterminds

Back