Why Does a Disproportionate Number of Good Fighters Come From Tiny, Isolated, Low-Population Hawaii?

I remember Tank beating that Hawaiian guy into convulsions.

I still laugh about that.

Best fight EVUH!!!

It's not really disproportionate. Have you seen the size of Hawaii? I'd say there's the right amount of fighters representing Hawaii as there would be for a huge state like Florida.

It's not like Netherland is the biggest country in the world, but they still produced the majority of the greatest kickboxers. There's billions of chinese, but if they struggle to have access to an mma or bjj class they sure won't produce a lot of champions. It is what it is.

I have family friends that moved to Hawaii from California for work. They are moving back to the mainland because all the kids want to do is fight. Their son is having a heck of a time in school because of it. It is in the blood and culture to want to kick peoples asses for fun. It is part of becoming a man over there, weather it is over waves, girls, or they just don't like how you look. I've vacationed there many times and can count at least a few times over the years where I almost got my ass handed to me by a mean looking SOB for simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I have family friends that moved to Hawaii from California for work. They are moving back to the mainland because all the kids want to do is fight. Their son is having a heck of a time in school because of it. It is in the blood and culture to want to kick peoples asses for fun. It is part of becoming a man over there, weather it is over waves, girls, or they just don't like how you look. I've vacationed there many times and can count at least a few times over the years where I almost got my ass handed to me by a mean looking SOB for simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Spent a year there, going out to drink brings dangers, the potential for violence is high, usually predicated around racism for us haole’s

Actually Hawaii doesn't have many good MMA fighters, they are lacking. On average they have much less than most other American states.

I’d love to hear this disproportionate list of 2-3 fighters....

Polynesians, no just Hawaiians, have an exceptionnaly robust constitution due to natural selection. They are extremely well represented in combat sports and rugby.
They also have a culture of street fight and brawls.
I watched a documentary from the french legion sleection a while ago, and the applicants have to do combat test, basically figthing another applicant in a ring. The instructors were saying that polynesians were exceptionnaly gifted for combat, with a unique mix of strength, chin and toughness.

It's only anecdotal evidence from my part, but I've rolled with several guys from Tahiti and French Polynesia. They were all stronger than they looked (including those who already looked strong) and even the white belts had great positional and grappling instincts.

Maybe it's caused by generations of rowers, swimmers and people having to fight for the limited liveable space in remote islands.

It's only anecdotal evidence from my part, but I've rolled with several guys from Tahiti and French Polynesia. They were all stronger than they looked (including those who already looked strong) and even the white belts had great positional and grappling instincts.

Maybe it's caused by generations of rowers, swimmers and people having to fight for the limited liveable space in remote islands.
Ha yeah I know a Tahitian guy, and he's complete freak. 5'9", around 300lbs, very fat, but incredibly fast and agile.
Took him to my kickboxing gym once...oh boy...terrifying. Punches hurting my hands through the pads, middle kicks were blasting me 2m away through the kick shield, he worked on big heavy uppercut bag and broke the hook. Zero cardio though.
He was a bouncer when was 17.

Polynesians, no just Hawaiians, have an exceptionnaly robust constitution due to natural selection. They are extremely well represented in combat sports and rugby.
They also have a culture of street fight and brawls.
I watched a documentary from the french legion sleection a while ago, and the applicants have to do combat test, basically figthing another applicant in a ring. The instructors were saying that polynesians were exceptionnaly gifted for combat, with a unique mix of strength, chin and toughness.

This has seemed to happen wherever cannibalism is a common practice. It tends to weed out the weak (because they become food) and so it speeds up the process of natural selection at the cost of social cohesion.

they have chins and are naturally strong looka t mark hunt. all poly

Same as anywhere else

They have managed to produce a good coaching system/sport system there, nothing to do with polenesian toughness really

Last edited:
I’d love to hear this disproportionate list of 2-3 fighters....
Max Holloway, B.J. Penn, Travis Brown, Brad Tavares, Dan Ige, Louis Smolka, Yancy Madeiros, Ray Cooper, Ilima Lei-McFarlane, Angela Lee, Punahele Soriano, Russell Mizuguchi, Shane Nelson, Eddie Yagin, Brandon Visher, Russell Doane, Enson Inoue, Lolohea Mahe, Kendall Grove, Kevin Natividad, Rachel Ostovich, Nainoa Dung....and more.

Last edited:
It’s the combination of the spam mixed with them being mostly black.

Max Holloway, B.J. Penn, Travis Brown, Brad Tavares, Dan Ige, Louis Smolka, Yancy Madeiros, Ray Cooper, Ilima Lei-McFarlane, Angela Lee, Punahele Soriano, Russell Mizuguchi, Shane Nelson, Eddie Yagin, Brandon Visher, Russell Doane, Lolohea Mahe, Kendall Grove, Kevin Natividad, Rachel Ostovich, Nainoa Dung....and more.

Don't forget Enson Inoue!

Back