Why do ?

Absolute stupidity:

1. Smoking--You literally have to force yourself to tolerate it. Before long you are hooked to a nicotine addiction, with endless health and hygiene concerns. No one likes their 1st few ciggies. So you are literally stupid enough to try something again and again in hopes you will like an unhealthy thing.

2. Fat people that drink those 1000 calorie milk shake "coffee drinks". Totally full of sugar and chemicals, raises AC1 number, weight, BP, and heart rate.

3. Unprotected sex: People are dirty creatures. Unless you are in a committed relationship where both partners are tested, you risk STDS that can fuck your shit up. HPV is accepted as a "cost of doing business now" and bc most males don't show symptoms they don't care. But the cancer links are there, and that is only 1 of dozens of stds...not including non std issues like funguses and rashes, and yeast, utis etc. Wrap the pickle.

4. Chronic masturbation--Got to keep that shit under control. Women lose nerve ending and get numbness from Vibrator overusage. Men develp addictions, damage urethras, skin rawness, bent members, and unablity to enjoy real sex.

5. Texting and driving. Everyone does it, and people are crashing and dying.

So people understand it, then what, they still feel depressed, powerless, and hopeless to change it? That is the hard truth, and the latest depression research shows that psychotherapy and medications don't help a lot of people, and those are people with access to health care and the ability to pay their co payments, and therefore more ability to change their external circumstances.

Yeah there's that too. Even after you understand and accept psychological workings of their own behavioral flaws, it's still really difficult to fight and change that

Why do people do what is bad for them? Ran into a buddy the other day, he was smoking a butt outside an office, chatted for a few minutes catching up and shit...he told me he has an appointment with a pulmanologist because they found a spot on his lung...He's been smoking for years...It could be food, cigarettes , women, drugs, gambling, bad reltionships, etc...it all comes down to self destructive behavior, do we all have a death wish,,,,fear of success, what do you think drives destructive bahavior?

I don't know, but it'd be nice if some more positive things were addictive. Not sure why, but seems like almost all addictions are negative. I wish I could get addicted to statistics and use that in the stock market...

it's the forbidden fruit man doing bad things feel good but destroy you quick, doing healthy or boring things doesn't really feel good or bad. eating broccoli and driving the speed limit def wont give you a "rush" or have the ole endocrine system pumping out serotonin and adrenaline que sara such is life.

I'd rather my life be a little shorter than a lot more suckier.

I say do what you want !

Short term pleasure versus long term consequences.

Yeah there's that too. Even after you understand and accept psychological workings of their own behavioral flaws, it's still really difficult to fight and change that

yeah, early intervention is the key, and even capable parents in good situations have their work cut out for them when huge corporations are trying to get their children to develop poor health behaviors so they can make money off of them.:mad:

He makes a good point. Add self loathing to the list of bad things we do.

Yeah, that comes from the Jewish and Christian traditions, the human brain is an amazing thing in the immense lifeless universe. It didn't have to be, and will not be around forever, and people can try to view it with a little more respect than they do the latest iteration of Windows.

Honestly I think what drives destructive behavior is depression and sometimes anger. Perhaps both.
The lack of caring whether or not the decisions he/she makes are good or bad.
Doing whatever makes them feel happy.

i agree.

Yeah, that comes from the Jewish and Christian traditions, the human brain is an amazing thing in the immense lifeless universe. It didn't have to be, and will not be around forever, and people can try to view it with a little more respect than they do the latest iteration of Windows.

LOL or haha, whichever is currently cooler (assuming "cooler" is still such a thing).

I don't want to merely exist. Falling for the stupid monkey habits is stupid, but a man with a few vices who dies at seventy-three is probably living more than the man playing it safe who survives till his 84th.

Back